S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Important things we don't talk about much

dry warm socks!
Old 04-02-2015, 13:17   #317
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Not all boat projects/items really need to get worked on. Sonce aren't going to get any worst or be a problem so just go sailing instead of fixing them.
Old 04-02-2015, 15:01   #318

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
........... A GOOD mattress! One that you can sleep on and wake up rested because you didn't end up with sore pressure points, toss all night trying to be comfortable, make you toss the covers off then get them back and stick your leg out to try to control temperature. I bet most people would think of a $1000 mattress, that provides years of good sleep, as just way too much money. But when you think of the amount of use and its' importance you your enjoyment and overall well-being a good mattress is worth a lot more than $1000!
I spent $1,700 and it was well worth it.
Old 04-02-2015, 15:46   #319
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I spent $1,700 and it was well worth it.
Interesting...what were the features that prompted the price and (more importantly!) made it worthwhile in terms of your comfort?

...and, of course, where did you get it??
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 16:03   #320

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
Interesting...what were the features that prompted the price and (more importantly!) made it worthwhile in terms of your comfort?

...and, of course, where did you get it??
One of the features that prompted the price is that it's a two piece V berth mattress (well two single mattresses) so they had use the originals and make a pattern, They are custom made. Other than that they are seven inches think and mattress foam instead of the original four inch thick seating cushion foam. I tried foam toppers but they just didn't cut it.

As we get old, sleeping on an uncomfortable surface just doesn't cut it. The boat mattress is as comfortable as our Tempurpedic at home but it's not memory foam.

I had it custom made in Columbia, SC about 100 miles from my home.
Old 04-02-2015, 17:10   #321

I agree, a great mattress is really worth it. My problem is I'd hate to spend $1500 and find out it or something comparable was on sale for $900. There is such a huge markup on these things it's very conceivable to see deeply discounted sale prices.

A friend of mine certainly has the money, but he loves grinding people for a bargain. He was in the market for several mattresses and found a guy who wholesales them by the container load. He did get a bargain, but he had to send a guy with a truck to go pick them up, kind of a hassle.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:26   #322

Boat: Various

We use selectabed.com:

Custom Mattress and custom beds

We purchased mattresses for home from them, including a rather large one for our master bedroom (10' x 12'). We liked the work they did and the mattresses they make. They'll make any shape, any thickness you need. They even make outdoor mattresses. There's one on their web site with cut outs for beams and Sunbrella for the outside material.

They once made an 80 in. round mattress designed to look like a basketball for Extreme Makeover. The guitarist from Incubus had them make a "Tripedic" which was a mattress to fit a loft area in his media room so he could sit and play the guitar while watching a movie and then go to sleep.

They are not cheap but not as outrageous as you might think and especially good if you've got those small odd shaped areas you need mattresses for. Not only can they provide the shape but the best material for the conditions it will face.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:08   #323

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Important things we don't talk about much

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We use selectabed.com:

Custom Mattress and custom beds

We purchased mattresses for home from them, including a rather large one for our master bedroom (10' x 12'). We liked the work they did and the mattresses they make. They'll make any shape, any thickness you need. They even make outdoor mattresses. There's one on their web site with cut outs for beams and Sunbrella for the outside material.

They once made an 80 in. round mattress designed to look like a basketball for Extreme Makeover. The guitarist from Incubus had them make a "Tripedic" which was a mattress to fit a loft area in his media room so he could sit and play the guitar while watching a movie and then go to sleep.

They are not cheap but not as outrageous as you might think and especially good if you've got those small odd shaped areas you need mattresses for. Not only can they provide the shape but the best material for the conditions it will face.
10 x 12 isn't much of a "master bedroom" even for a single-wide.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 14:09   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
10 x 12 isn't much of a "master bedroom" even for a single-wide.
10' x 12' is the size of the mattress and bed, not the size of the room. Let's just say the bedroom itself is much larger.
Old 05-02-2015, 14:52   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
10' x 12' is the size of the mattress and bed, not the size of the room. Let's just say the bedroom itself is much larger.

Mrs B wooda had a funnier comeback.
Old 05-02-2015, 15:03   #326

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12" Memory foam mattress-2" Gel-infused 4lb memory foam comfort layer-2" 3lb memory foam center-8" High-density foam base
Exclusive Lucid-Gel formula memory foam is infused with gel beads to capture and distribute heat
Removable silver-infused cover is naturally antimicrobial and hypoallergenic
Pin-core technology increases airflow throughout the sleep layer and helps regulate sleeping temperature
25-Year warranty; Open cell construction yields a longer lasting, more resilient foam that will not leave long-lasting body impressions. During extreme cold, suggesting that customers lay the mattress flat in a warm room and allow extra time for expansion if needed.

$469 for a queen mattress. Absolutely the best mattress, according to every person who has tried it.
Old 05-02-2015, 15:32   #327

From what I can gather, different beds appeal to different people depending on their preference for a firmer or softer mattress, and their body weight. A 94 lb woman is going to feel like a medium firmness mattress is too hard, while a 300 lb man will probably feel like it's too soft.

A friend of mine recently bought a cheaper version of the Sleep Number bed and he's extremely happy with it. He and his wife have separate controls and once they found the right settings, they really got a great night's sleep. That makes sense to me, the ability to adjust the firmness of the bed to one's liking would be a great feature. We tested one out in a store once and it turned out to be much firmer than I recall, but we couldn't return it once we used it so I ended up putting a memory foam topper on it which really helped a lot.

I think my next one will be adjustable.
Old 05-02-2015, 16:04   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Mrs B wooda had a funnier comeback.
Wifey B: Yeah I woulda...Like maybe just make the whole room one solid bed. And Crabman, don't you just imagine what can happen on a 10 x 12 mattress? And really a safety factor reducing the likelihood of falling. Although real safety you'd just put the mattress on the floor. But back on topic.....yeah, me even...the dudes at selectabed can and will make whatever you want. Really helps with those odd sized and shape needs, whether its the bed area that's odd sized and shaped or the people who are.

That's like you ever had a king sized bed where the bed was designed to handle either Cal King or Eastern, but with Eastern you have 4" at the bottom not covered and with Cal the mattress is too narrow? It's annoying as heck when things you have on the bed start falling down by the footboard. Like stuffed animals or nighties or toys or whatever.
Old 05-02-2015, 16:23   #329

... and away we go!

LOL
Old 05-02-2015, 16:30   #330

"Like stuffed animals or nighties or toys or whatever."

She had me at "Like".