Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2014, 01:03   #1
AJG

I'm in a spot: Meet with Seller of Cal 31 to determine whether I buy his boat.

My problem is that I have been looking to but a Alberg 30-33. That's what I really want. I started my search looking for a Cal 30 33 etc. I ran across the Alberg 30 and just fell head over keel.
I not found a suitable Alberg in California. The east coast and gulf states do have reasonably priced Albergs, but the price of shipping is a deal breaker. I'd rathe refit with that cash. I am priced out from the good ones here in California, and I want to cruise blue water, but in this life time. Project boats require too much time.

My desire is to sail singlehanded blue water. But, I fear, based on my limited knowledge and experience that the Cal 31 will just not hold up to a significant episode of weather, i.e. getting pooped, swamped and rolled over right the boat, then be faced with damaged wind vane auto pilot or lost rudder.

My faith and belief in the Alberg 30 is based primarily on my reading not every one agrees. I m confident that I will survive anything in the Alberg. Not so in the Cal 31. Its simply too tender for blue water sailings. I drove a Morgan 28 for 15 years in the Los Angeles Harbor and Catalina Island area.
I think that Cal will feel much like the Morgan. I see the Cal tomorrow.
What say you?
AJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 01:25   #2

Boat: valiant 40
Re: I'm in a spot: Meet with Seller of Cal 31 to determine whether I buy his boat.

Buy the one you want or you will always be wondering , if you are asking folks here to tell you which one you will just end up more confused. Thats my opinion if you don't like it I have others
Old 21-06-2014, 02:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: I'm in a spot: Meet with Seller of Cal 31 to determine whether I buy his boat.

Welcome aboard CF - Don't feel bad. Many folks here come with the same issue. Search the old threads for key words like "Which Boat" and "Help Me Decide."

You will get a flavor of everyone's mental wrestling.

Based on your limited post info I would say -

- Don't rush. Plenty of boats out there and plenty of time
- All boats can be overwhelmed by nature
- The best prepared and experienced sailors can get in trouble
- Do not let emotion overcome some kind of fact regarding boat stability, seaworthiness, bluewater capableness (whatever that is), etc.
- The only emotional decision is around beauty, "feels right", feels "solid"

Remember boats are all compromises. My boat "feels solid" - Because it is. It is a little over 25 feet and weighs 2,500kg. A J24 is 24 feet and weighs like 1,400 kilos.

J24 kicks my boats butt, until the weather gets bad.

Good luck on your decision.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 03:05   #4

If you want to entertain yourself while you are looking then go on the Cape Horn windvane website and down load his video about him sailing an Alberg 30 around the world via the capes. Great video by the way. Enjoy your boat search, sometimes the sizzle is almost as good as the steak!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 03:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I'm in a spot: Meet with Seller of Cal 31 to determine whether I buy his boat.

In your 'Fear' scenario just about every boat will likely lose its mast before its rudder.. even an Alberg.
Sail sensibly and in the right seasons.. avoid the high latitudes and most boats will be okay in my view.. even Hunters.. which get bad press but in my solo Atlantic on a HC37c she took a beating and laid a-hull in 60kts and occasionally breaking sea's for 5 days with no damage.. injured back restricted my abilities for a week..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 04:24   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I have a CAL28 which survived a knockdown quite well.
Old 21-06-2014, 05:39   #7

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
I too think should take your time. There are many makes and models of boats you don't need to limit it to just those two. I would look at just about every boat in your size range before purchase, it will give you a good idea of the market value. On the other hand boats that are good deals have to be moved on quickly. As my Zen master says it's all about balance
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 06:33   #8

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

If you're only looking at Alberg 30's and Cal 30-somethings, you'll miss out on a lot of good boats. You should rethink the wisdom in shopping on the west coast for boats built on the east coast.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 11:39   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

This is a boat of similar design to the Alberg 30. Looks like it has had a lot of work done on it but that's just from the pictures. 30' Rhodes Sloop Sailboat Nice Condition

You might look at the original CAL 30. It's a full keel boat. Not as pretty as the Alberg but a decent boat.

If there are any Bristols around on the West Coast, might look at them though they tend to be a bit pricey out west. Others are the older Pearsons like the Wanderer or Vanguard.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 13:23   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

You might well have a look at the Sparkman and Stevens designed Yankee 30. IMO, a better boat than either of your candidates and normally a few for sale on the west coast.

Ann and I did a lot of miles, both cruising and racing in ours some years ago, including a SF/Hawaii round trip. Boat did it all well.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 21-06-2014, 13:56   #11

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
You might well have a look at the Sparkman and Stevens designed Yankee 30. IMO, a better boat than either of your candidates and normally a few for sale on the west coast...
Indeed!

A great little boat with impeccable sailing manners. And hell for stout! The cabin top is nearly an inch thick of solid glass (including the liner)! Nice cockpit. Pretty lines.

Not sure if any of these came with a shower--the one I have worked on did not. Fairly small inside. But the pedigree (Olin Stevens) is tops.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 14:17   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Indeed!

A great little boat with impeccable sailing manners. And hell for stout! The cabin top is nearly an inch thick of solid glass (including the liner)! Nice cockpit. Pretty lines.

Not sure if any of these came with a shower--the one I have worked on did not. Fairly small inside. But the pedigree (Olin Stevens) is tops.
Well, ours had a shower: a five gallon black plastic bag which you set in the sun and then hung from the boom!

Seriously, no, none that I was ever aboard (and that included Mks I,II,and III (which ours was)) had a built in shower... nor the tankage to realistically support one.

But she sailed so sweetly that one didn't need so many showers...

Jim
Old 21-06-2014, 14:34   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Not originating from the large island out West I had to google an Alberg 30. Very similar lines and layout to Nicholson 32 another yacht with a reputation for long distance cruising.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nic 32.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	83519  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 14:51   #14

I agree with your intuition. Cal's are good coastal boats. Albergs are more. Sure you could go in a Cal or most anything. But should you?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal