Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 23:36   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Given that this Forum is a massive wealth of experience in all things marine and social i note that quite often tempers often get frayed when debate occurs.

There are some who no longer contribute to this Forum due to direct abuse that has been received, at times very personal, that's a loss to all of us.

When a topic comes up it, at times, becomes a 'Think Tank' with many contributing their individual knowledge, experience and or theory.

One of the first rules of 'Think Tanking' is that even when a contradictory/challenging point is put forward it must remain POSITIVE as negative comments are simply not constructive.

Even the absolute newbie can, albeit at risk of re-inventing the wheel, have a post that's 'thought provoking', likewise experienced minds can 'think tank' new ways to approach particular problems.

So why the vehemence or non-acceptance of contrary idea's?

Are we not positive enough to accept different thinking?

Do we prefer to argue?

Is our individual knowledge 'The only way'?

Can the printed word be taken 'out of context' due to the readers emotion at the time?

Cheers Frank.
Old 12-07-2013, 23:49   #2

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
They are just humans, Frank. We pity them....

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 23:49   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Well to answer the Thread Title - usually "YES" but funnily enough, I have noticed that more and more people now know more than me so perhaps the answer will soon be "NO".
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 00:37   #4

Boat: seawind II Patience

If you are dealing with a woman this is true.Just accept it.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 00:55   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Given that this Forum is a massive wealth of experience in all things marine and social i note that quite often tempers often get frayed when debate occurs.

There are some who no longer contribute to this Forum due to direct abuse that has been received, at times very personal, that's a loss to all of us.

When a topic comes up it, at times, becomes a 'Think Tank' with many contributing their individual knowledge, experience and or theory.

One of the first rules of 'Think Tanking' is that even when a contradictory/challenging point is put forward it must remain POSITIVE as negative comments are simply not constructive.

Even the absolute newbie can, albeit at risk of re-inventing the wheel, have a post that's 'thought provoking', likewise experienced minds can 'think tank' new ways to approach particular problems.

So why the vehemence or non-acceptance of contrary idea's?

Do we prefer to argue?

Can the printed word be taken 'out of context' due to the readers emotion at the time?

Cheers Frank.

"So why the vehemence or non-acceptance of contrary idea's?

Do we prefer to argue?

Can the printed word be taken 'out of context' due to the readers emotion at the time?"

It happens all the time here. Often it turns out online (IMO) that there are people who are just used to being surrounded by people who agree with them all the time, but that's unlikely on the internet.

i would particularly like to see us avoid the use of derogatory names for "others." For instance, the only time I have seen the word "sheeple" used as when it is directed at people who disagree with the poster (hasn't happened here, at least not ovbviouslyk but the word has surfaced). I find it ironic when person A calls person B a "sheeple" precisely because person B does *not* agree with person A -- and yet a "sheeple" is supposed to be people who don't think for themselves. But other names surface -- the person is a "noob" (not sure how else one learns to sail except by starting out, etc.)

I personally was driven off by the name-calling once because I was perceived to be less experienced and therefore unacceptable. It's better now but the "undertow" is still there sometimes.

I really do think one person who came in here earlier was a "troll," and internet phenomenom, a person who comes only to spread dissension. Once that's accomplished, they leave to find another board to disrupt, which is a true troll's goal.

But we should tolerate and maybe even welcome differences of opinion, as they often result in discussions, that while animated, provide useful information.

My 2 cents. The great majority of people have something to offer if the conversation doesn't deteriorate into uneupsmanship.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 00:57   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2012 View Post
If you are dealing with a woman this is true.Just accept it.marc

Or a man. Except for the presence of women and men we would always agree. that's the reason, all right.
Old 13-07-2013, 01:18   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Marc2012, as a woman i will not disappoint you---I disagree with your post, therefor you are wrong .

I'm still a little groggy from sleep, my dog woke me up barking at the companionway for no apparent reason. But groggy or not I'll weigh in.

I've been away from CF for a while and have noticed an increase in the negativity. I'm hoping it is just a phase we seem to go through from time to time.
On the other hand, for all the hot air and potshots, this is still the best forum for sailors new and old, (along with SSCA).
Erika
Old 13-07-2013, 01:23   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Marc2012, as a woman i will not disappoint you---I disagree with your post, therefor you are wrong .

I'm still a little groggy from sleep, my dog woke me up barking at the companionway for no apparent reason. But groggy or not I'll weigh in.

I've been away from CF for a while and have noticed an increase in the negativity. I'm hoping it is just a phase we seem to go through from time to time.
On the other hand, for all the hot air and potshots, this is still the best forum for sailors new and old, (along with SSCA).
Erika

Same situation, only it ws my cat (no, not barking!)

I think part of the problem is just communicating online. if we were all talking face-to-face it would be immediately apparent if someone did not understand someone else. It would be cleared up immediately. Online, words last forever. Face-to-face, they're rapidly fading air vibrations.
Old 13-07-2013, 01:26   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

"I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?"

You are always wrong if I am an ex US Coast Guard Lt Commander

Dare I say or an RYA instructor or an ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator?

Ooooooh, I am going to be in sooooooo much trouble for those two comments

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 01:33   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

CF is the most civilised (popular) forum I have ever been on .

I can't say that I have noticed any great personal attacks , at least nothing above handbags . But I have noticed that some folks are uber sensitive and others do seem surprised that not only are some willing to disagree but that other opinions formed by life experiences actually exist ........of course when principally seeking validation of point of view / ideas / plans that can be a bummer . Personally I don't tend to "play" with those I think can't cope with a touch of chain yanking - except those who are happy to dish it out .

I also see frustration when no easy answer (that can also be bought from West Marine? ) is forthcoming, and instead a thread develops into a mix of helping the OP ask self more questions and to puzzle out own answers - using the acknowledged half relevant experiences of others. Methinks some peeps would find dealing with a book easier than a forum, for some a book with lots of pictures - and large print . Admittedly with a forum it does take a bit of effort to guide a discussion, but effort I guess is for some "so last century".......

Of course as an Armchair Bucketeer I don't know sh#t from shinola , on boats or about life or travelling the world or not getting killed (IME that's usually a people related thing - and no, I've never needed a gun ).........Or women , although on that note I did learn early doors in Thailand that women can be more like a man.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 01:42   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

The fact that someone disagrees with your opinion could just mean that you have collated the information that you have from the wrong sources. It could mean the opposite, that they themselves have done this heinous thing. But, for me, whichever one makes it the funniest gets my vote. Yes, we get help, yes, we get information, yes,we get opinions that's for sure, but let's get some tongues in cheeks and funnybones tickled rather than feathers in a ruffled state.

Coops.
Old 13-07-2013, 01:46   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Of course could be that this thread started because things kinda quiet in one of the sub-forums I have on ignore. I could fix that..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 02:03   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Yes, we get help, yes, we get information, yes,we get opinions that's for sure, but let's get some tongues in cheeks and funnybones tickled rather than feathers in a ruffled state.
Coops.
I hope several members have a sense of humour and that no feathers are ruffled by this post :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

Dare I say or an RYA instructor or an ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 03:02   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Marc2012, as a woman i will not disappoint you---I disagree with your post, therefor you are wrong ...
Wouldn't the reverse be more logical?
You're opinion/information is wrong; therefore I disagree with it.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 03:05   #15

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

Wow both feet!