Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2013, 11:52   #91
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,770
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

idora, ye left out doj ....
__________________

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 12:13   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

When I cannot explain a complex technical or otherwise matter to someone with less knowledge of same subject, I will blame myself. For either my explanation was too complex or else I SIMPLY lack the skill necessary to explain things.

In the former case, I should try again; in the latter, I should rather listen than talk.

But ymmv. That's the beauty of it.

b.
__________________

__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 12:23   #93
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,359
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

There are a lot of "technical experts" on this forum. IMO one has to be very careful of technical opinions.... too many variables in the world to rely too heavily on theory.
It always reminds of the Shuttle Disaster panel... you know when the panel went on for days about the failure of the orings...droning on and on about techical theory.... but while they droned on pragmatic scientist Richard Feynstein put a piece of the oring material in a glass of ice and discovered it fails when frozen!
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 14:05   #94
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
[*]Forum advice is worth exactly what you've paid for it. If you combine it with some self-education and research, it becomes much more valuable.[*]Opinions on something technical almost always converge around a few (or just one) solution, when there is sufficient understanding and knowledge. Remaining debate is either misunderstanding, or sport. [*]People who use a SAILING forum as a springboard for non-sailing political wankery (guns climate-change etc) should be keel-hauled. Then banned. I speak from experience, as someone who has been cautioned a few times, and banned from another forum.[*]Someone with "Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries" in their sig, should be regarded with suspicion as a possible #3 offender. Just saying.
Actually paid advice doesn't ensure any higher quality , often advice received free on the net is giiven freely without prejudice from people who are experts is very valuable.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 14:56   #95
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Explaining technical issues , especially engineering or electrical /electronics can be very difficult using just words. Most engineers use drawings to convey concepts , but forums make that difficult.

Then you have people say arguing a topic from obviously ( often self admitted) less then knowledgable position. The " hi I know nothing but want this answered " , then proceed to argue with all the posters cause they don't agree with the OP original views.

Then you have the " zealots " the long keelers , the anti production types , the dogmatists , etc , who insist that their view is the only view ( usually they own one of these ) , and they persist in attempting to drive that view home.

I personally find that having sailed on a variety of boats on a variety of conditions , tends to make one less of a zealot and more a generalist , simply because you've seen things work or not as the case may be .

The other thing you get is people arguing about " received wisdom " when practical experience suggest otherwise

But having said that CF on the whole is very civilised , I'm on several political forums and that's just bare knuckle street fighting

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 15:04   #96
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
But having said that CF on the whole is very civilised , I'm on several political forums and that's just bare knuckle street fighting

Dave
On most other forums I seem to have a fairly short membership life...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 15:33   #97
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,311
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

[QUOTE=Lagoon4us;1283884
Do we prefer to argue?
[/QUOTE]

Yes!
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 15:42   #98
Registered User
 
Teknav's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas - USA
Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Posts: 1,838
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Hi Dave! <GoBoating> Well said! ++

Mauritz
__________________
Retired - Don't Ask Me To Do A Damn Thing!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 15:59   #99
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 69
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
oooooh, that's good - glad someone has been paying close attention to CF .

I think you need someone who has done exactly what you plan, every year for the last 50 years - otherwise it would only be wildly inaccurate guesswork from others.
No, the person asking the question needs to do exactly that, every year, for 50 years, before they can be considered experienced enough to do it.
__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 16:44   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

But while some errors come from lack of experience, some others come from too much experience. (I think the width of our experience is at least as important as its depth).

And we are more likely to hear something new from a newcomer.

You may have read that paper where they argued that experts who assigned higher probabilities to their forecasts turned out to be further off in their judgements than those that assigned higher rates of uncertainty to their forecasts.

The time you think you have it all figured out, that's when you are most wrong.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 17:54   #101
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Since TFC and Half-life! I will add you. I actually met my husband playing TFC 13-14 years ago. There he was setting pipes in the blue team basement and I came up behind him with my med bag and gave him an infection. It was meant to be.


Über lol! I remember TF on Gamespy. I'm presently server admin on Arma II Nukerat server, plus lots of RO2-HOS and some arcane grand strats. See ya in the trenches sometime!
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 18:15   #102
Registered User
 
Capn Morgan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South East Asia
Boat: Hans Christian 48T
Posts: 381
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

If it wasn't for disagreement we would really know nothing.
__________________
Capn Morgan
'If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run...'
Capn Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 18:28   #103
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
If it wasn't for disagreement we would really know nothing.
I disagree!
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 18:52   #104
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 25
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Incivility is a common feature of online forums. A good friend mine in fact does research in this area (Google kenski online civility) and I have seen other data as well showing that in many forums as much as 20% of postings have some degree of.incivility. personally I think this forum is much more positive and civil than many others. I once tried to research the impact of iPhone versus iPad chargers on charging various devices and read somejust brutal, vitriolic dissageements on two different.online forums. Just last week, there was another exchanges between statisticians commenting on an article in the online edition if the Atlanic. Again, just meanspirited dialogue to the core.

Point being, I have read this forum regularly for a year, and admidtedly have not read it all, but again I personally think this forum bahaves pretty goodnaturedly compared to others I have seen.
__________________
Duke95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 20:03   #105
Registered User
 
Gadagirl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 641
Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

I grew up in New Jersey where disagreements and arguing is viewed as a sport. A forrn of bonding.

Perhaps that's why I've never felt personally insulted and am entertained more than disheartened by "controversial" threads. I don't view them as negative. I've actually gained perspectives I might never have been exposed to.


Oh but I have to share this! Perhaps just to add fuel to the fire. Stir the pot, selfishly continue my amusement, or just to be a troll......my apologies in advance to any personnel angst you may suffer by perceiving this as a personnel attack no matter how clearly this describes you, It's not about you, really.
The 18 Types Of Internet Trolls | SMOSH
__________________

__________________
Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. - Eckhart Tolle
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.