Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2013, 09:08   #76
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Your Mileage Might Vary
Thanks cobber
I would NEVER have worked that one out... I'll sleep so much better tonight

Vic
__________________

__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 09:30   #77
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 928
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Dear Fellow Members, I'm a powerboat charterer trying to buy a xantrex controller and a hereschoff anchor (the only one that works) off the west marine website so I can cross the Caribbean, in August, from Northeast to Southwest.
Is this the right forum for me to get advice on how trailing a fishing line affects my inalienable maritime right of way? :-)
__________________

__________________
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 09:42   #78
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Dear Fellow Members, I'm a powerboat charterer trying to buy a xantrex controller and a hereschoff anchor (the only one that works) off the west marine website so I can cross the Caribbean, in August, from Northeast to Southwest.
Is this the right forum for me to get advice on how trailing a fishing line affects my inalienable maritime right of way? :-)

Oboy! drugs and anchors! Yeah!

Wot?

Oh, Xantrax...

Nevermind.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 09:48   #79
Registered User
 
Teknav's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas - USA
Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Posts: 1,838
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Hiya Crabby! You got Xanax on your mind or controlling your mind, don't you? What a goof!

Mauritz
__________________
Retired - Don't Ask Me To Do A Damn Thing!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 09:52   #80
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Dear Fellow Members, I'm a powerboat charterer trying to buy a xantrex controller and a hereschoff anchor (the only one that works) off the west marine website so I can cross the Caribbean, in August, from Northeast to Southwest.
Is this the right forum for me to get advice on how trailing a fishing line affects my inalienable maritime right of way? :-)
oooooh, that's good - glad someone has been paying close attention to CF .

I think you need someone who has done exactly what you plan, every year for the last 50 years - otherwise it would only be wildly inaccurate guesswork from others.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 09:56   #81
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Ok, I give up.
I've been trying to work out what YMMV means for months but didn't particularly want to enhance my dork image any further.
I've always managed to work out the LMAO or IMHO etc etc, but I have to concede defeat on this one.
Somebody help...

Vic
FWIW , most of these abbreviations can be googled up to find out WTF they mean. USHJMSU*.



*Unless Someone Has Just Made Something Up .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 10:14   #82
Registered User
 
nimblemotors's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sacramento, California
Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Posts: 1,557
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

CF is not a forum for new ideas.

It is a place for 'massive wealth of experience', i.e. commonly accepted wisdom, of which some want to argue how common or accepted or wisdom
is this or that.

After a while, it is mostly entertainment thanks to some funny people.

So, you are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Given that this Forum is a massive wealth of experience in all things marine and social i note that quite often tempers often get frayed when debate occurs.

There are some who no longer contribute to this Forum due to direct abuse that has been received, at times very personal, that's a loss to all of us.

When a topic comes up it, at times, becomes a 'Think Tank' with many contributing their individual knowledge, experience and or theory.

One of the first rules of 'Think Tanking' is that even when a contradictory/challenging point is put forward it must remain POSITIVE as negative comments are simply not constructive.

Even the absolute newbie can, albeit at risk of re-inventing the wheel, have a post that's 'thought provoking', likewise experienced minds can 'think tank' new ways to approach particular problems.

So why the vehemence or non-acceptance of contrary idea's?

Are we not positive enough to accept different thinking?

Do we prefer to argue?

Is our individual knowledge 'The only way'?

Can the printed word be taken 'out of context' due to the readers emotion at the time?

Cheers Frank.
__________________
JackB
MiniMPPT Solar Controller
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 10:22   #83
Registered User
 
ShaktiGurl's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: West Palm Beach
Boat: Leopard 40
Posts: 365
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post

Oh, yes. Been on Steam since the very beginning. I am Kordts. Sounds like you've been there since early days too. You're a rare animal.
Since TFC and Half-life! I will add you. I actually met my husband playing TFC 13-14 years ago. There he was setting pipes in the blue team basement and I came up behind him with my med bag and gave him an infection. It was meant to be.
__________________
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 10:34   #84
Registered User
 
sww914's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Punta De Mita
Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Posts: 1,842
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

This is a pretty civil forum. The second best one that I've been a part of. The best was a Porsche 914 forum. The Porsche 911 forums are not civil.
If you've been on other forums you'll know. Try politics, for instance. It's like the Christians and the Moors.
__________________
Steve
http://www.landfallvoyages.com
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 10:50   #85
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Since TFC and Half-life! I will add you. I actually met my husband playing TFC 13-14 years ago. There he was setting pipes in the blue team basement and I came up behind him with my med bag and gave him an infection. It was meant to be.
This happened to me in Puerto Rico. It started with alcohol in a cantina but ended with penicillin in doc's office.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 10:57   #86
Registered User
 
Teknav's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas - USA
Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Posts: 1,838
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Hello Jack! I would add that it is difficult, sometimes, to explain very technical topics unless you have the technical background to evaluate and understand what is being stated. When I am asked : "Can you elaborate on that?", I usually don't. I do want the person who asked the question, to dig up the answer from various sources in order to complete his/her understanding. When you research it yourself, it will stay a bit longer with you than if I just hand you the answers. There is no doubt in my mind that there are countless artisans, craftsmen and Old Salts, on CF, that are frustrated with what I state because of lack of a "complete explanation"; it is not always possible to dilute engineering concepts to just a few sentences. Boat building has been with us since biblical times; the laws of physics that were applied since day one, still applies today albeit under an engineering umbrella.

Mauritz
__________________
Retired - Don't Ask Me To Do A Damn Thing!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 11:24   #87
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,342
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
They are just humans, Frank. We pity them....
Old men........... ya gotta love 'em, they're always right, even if there are 3 of them in a discussion with different opinions! haha
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 11:32   #88
Registered User
 
ShaktiGurl's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: West Palm Beach
Boat: Leopard 40
Posts: 365
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

This happened to me in Puerto Rico. It started with alcohol in a cantina but ended with penicillin in doc's office.
Ha! Nice. Since I was in MT and he in CO, my infectious properties had a long reach. Ain't no penicillin gonna fix that.
__________________
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 11:33   #89
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Central California
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 873
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

What?! No! How can anybody be so completely
Wrong!!!

YMMV means Your Mileage May Vary.

Oh how can there be so many wrong people
on this forum? I can't stand it. I'm leaving.
You won't have me to kick around anymore.
Sheesh!

(Insert appropriate emoticon here)
__________________
Bill
...........................................
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy ribeye.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 11:48   #90
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Ludlow Wa
Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Posts: 1,973
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

There is broad agreement on many things on CF.
Anything to do with anchors is wrong.
If you have a mono, then multi is wrong and visa versa.
Anything politics is wrong.
Pirates are wrong.
If your not Boatman...well...
Accidents are wrong.
Going aground is wrong.


See what I mean? Its easy.

Todd
__________________

__________________
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.