Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 15-11-2013, 16:19   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Idiots try to die off venuzeala

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
Sadly, the OP set up the thread as one about rape rather than the terrible tragedy off the coast of Venezuela. As for the statistics, there are lots of places that report that particular statistic (One In Four USA, Statistics | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network), although the methodology behind the original study is a little suspect in that it was not a robust sample, the survey questions could have been variously interpreted by responders, and there were many questions that should have been asked but weren't. Nevertheless, most researchers on sexual violence agree that rape is a commonplace problem in the United States (as it is globally) and that if the statistic isn't 1/4, it's pretty close to that.
"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."
The Dead Pool (1988)
Home for the Holidays (1995)

Old 15-11-2013, 16:26   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Sadly, the OP set up the thread as one about rape rather than the terrible tragedy off the coast of Venezuela. As for the statistics, there are lots of places that report that particular statistic (One In Four USA, Statistics | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network), although the methodology behind the original study is a little suspect in that it was not a robust sample, the survey questions could have been variously interpreted by responders, and there were many questions that should have been asked but weren't. Nevertheless, most researchers on sexual violence agree that rape is a commonplace problem in the United States (as it is globally) and that if the statistic isn't 1/4, it's pretty close to that.
I'm not going further on this drift except to say I don't believe it even with the link that adds percentages together to get a bigger one. And what is "attempted rape" anyway? Some teenager grabbing a boob in the back seat of dad's car at which point "she" decides to draw a line?

Old 15-11-2013, 16:29   #48

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

At any rate, I don't wear skirts and can probably safely assume I'm not going to get raped in this lifetime.

Back to the topic and something I was wondering about... Is there a map out there that gives a sort of Red, Yellow, and Green regarding safety concerns (or lack thereof) of the Caribbean?
I know about noonsite, but I think a good "risk map" would be helpful for sailors, who are off on their adventure of a lifetime, to have something that can be taken in in just a glance.
Old 15-11-2013, 16:35   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yesterday some mental pygmies so tried to kill themselves by sailing west along the north coast of Venuzeala from Trinidad to Porto la cruise.
Staying only 5 miles off the Paria peninsula they were, of course, boarded, assaulted, robbed and VERY lucky to be alive.

It really amazes me how stupid cruisers can be!

Boat name: Explorer. Buddy boat who wasn't even in sight: Joanna.
Quote:
Sadly, the OP set up the thread as one about rape rather than the terrible tragedy off the coast of Venezuela.
Not!
Old 15-11-2013, 16:35   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yesterday some mental pygmies so tried to kill themselves by sailing west along the north coast of Venuzeala from Trinidad to Porto la cruise.
Staying only 5 miles off the Paria peninsula they were, of course, boarded, assaulted, robbed and VERY lucky to be alive.

It really amazes me how stupid cruisers can be!

Boat name: Explorer. Buddy boat who wasn't even in sight: Joanna.

The original post. Topic of thread. Breathe, calm

Anyone have an answer to Snort's question?
Old 15-11-2013, 16:42   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
The original post. Topic of thread. Breathe, calm

Anyone have an answer to Snort's question?
I saw one. I will try to look it up.

15 min. Can't find it.

It was posted here by someone who sails and lives in Venezuela. It was actually a site the country put up.
Old 15-11-2013, 17:11   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
This is a little thread drift, but what the heck is wrong with Venuzeala?

Apparently their political system doesn't distribute the benefits of their massive oil revenues very well? Is the govn't there "OK" with all of this, or just unable to deal with it? I'm not a Latin American current events scholar, obviously. But - what gives? In my (meager) knowledge of such things, it seems that most authoritarian regimes keep the petty criminals in line just as well as the average citizens they control ...

Other (poorer countries) don't seem to have such scary coastlines.
If they are really poor, then they have nothing to lose, but also no means to commit these crimes. And if the police or navy keep things in check, then it won't be a problem until you reach the shore.

I think a lot of countries have population problems. They can't handle the increased numbers of people and sharing the oil wealth only goes so far. If you give everyone $1 million dollars, I bet businesses will respond by tripling the price of everything because they can...

Then again, what is different about Venezuela compared to Detroit, Baltimore, and Chicago among other places in the US? Is it population density, money, opportunity, gang/culture, racial groups, or lax policing?

I am more dissapointed in the Venezuelan Navy for not having bait boats and removing the criminals ability to do this type of thing.
Old 15-11-2013, 17:12   #53

Boat: PETERSON 44
Did you see an idiot a Pygmy or a chart of places you should not go? Fir reference I found out an idiot is deficient person, or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way. The similar terms moron, imbecile, and cretin have all gained specialized meanings in modern times. An idiot is said to be idiotic, and to suffer from idiocy. A dunce is an idiot who is specifically incapable of learning.
A pygmy is a member of an ethnic group whose average height is unusually short; many anthropologists define pygmy as a member of any group where adult men are on average less than 150 cm (4 feet 11 inches) tall. Hope this helps
Shame on mark for the association of short people
Old 15-11-2013, 17:14   #54

Boat: Rafiki 37

noonsite Piracy Reports
Piracy — Noonsite

Commercial Shipping Piracy Map
Live Piracy Map
Old 15-11-2013, 17:26   #55

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I saw one. I will try to look it up.

15 min. Can't find it.

It was posted here by someone who sails and lives in Venezuela. It was actually a site the country put up.
ONSA:

ONSA - Mapa de Zonas de Riesgo para Embarcaciones
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	areasmapavenezuela.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	70523  
Old 15-11-2013, 17:26   #56
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are specific areas in the world, where on a leisure activity you have no business going near. However unlike rognvald that is no indication heat somehow the world is in terminal decline, nor is there any evidence of it. Places that were dangerous to access become safe and some areas become dangerous.

Dave
Old 15-11-2013, 17:50   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
THAT'S IT!!

THANKS.
Old 15-11-2013, 18:03   #58

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentobin View Post
"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."
The Dead Pool (1988)
Home for the Holidays (1995)
That wasn't an opinion about the stats on rape and the questionable methodology of the survey. That was very well-documented professional best practice. I'm a sociologist.

I found the info on Venezuela here, here and here. The State Department site particularly mentions piracy off the coasts.
Old 15-11-2013, 18:45   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
This thread has wandered way of from the issue of cruiser safety with too many posts that are not well thought out or offensive.

Sadly the real issue should be discussed. If someone were to open a thread and keep on topic, it will be allowed to run.

Closed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: