Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2013, 13:41   #31

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Idiots try to die off venuzeala

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
OT, my apologies: That's a red herring. By far, most of the people raped in Pakistan are veil-wearing young girls. Rape is common-place in Pakistan and vastly underreported. Here's just one story, but there are dozens of articles like this one and check the U.N. for more info.
As a university student my daughter spent some time in India as part of her studies. In spite of wearing conservative clothing she was accosted by men on many occasions.
She was informed by her Prof. that the prevailing attitude in the country was that Western women were considered "loose".
Old 15-11-2013, 14:01   #32

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
one in four women have been raped at least once;

Ann
At the risk of some thread drift...............

Never heard that.

And don't believe it.
Old 15-11-2013, 14:05   #33

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

We last cruised the Venezuela coast almost 7 years ago with lots of caution. It was the one time that I wished that we had a gun aboard as we were traveling alone. Would not want to go anywhere near there now.
One only has to search back to see how some frequent commentators on this forum always try to twist any type of crime against cruisers in some kind of right wing, gun toting diatribe as the solution to all. Can't we just discuss the situation in hand without using real dumb analogies so they can get a rise out of people. Mark's opinion, while a bit harsh, was certainly worthy of debate. As cruisers we often see boats do things that make us wonder wtf?
Old 15-11-2013, 14:07   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

Never heard that.

And don't believe it.
Sounds like an unrealistic figure to me as well.

Coops.
Old 15-11-2013, 14:07   #35

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

It's a real shame! In the 70s & 80s I used to travel to Puerto La Cruz in Venezuela often on business. It was a wonderful place, nice people, a beautiful harbor town with good restaurants and hotels. I used to think it would be nice to buy a retirement home there, everything was turned upside down with the coming into power of Chavez and now his sucessor seems even more bent on destroying the country. I still have lots of friends in Venezuela and I feel badly for them. I am sure eventualy things will turn around I hope it is not too late.
Steve W
Old 15-11-2013, 14:12   #36

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

Never heard that.

And don't believe it.
Sadly, the OP set up the thread as one about rape rather than the terrible tragedy off the coast of Venezuela. As for the statistics, there are lots of places that report that particular statistic (One In Four USA, Statistics | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network), although the methodology behind the original study is a little suspect in that it was not a robust sample, the survey questions could have been variously interpreted by responders, and there were many questions that should have been asked but weren't. Nevertheless, most researchers on sexual violence agree that rape is a commonplace problem in the United States (as it is globally) and that if the statistic isn't 1/4, it's pretty close to that.
Old 15-11-2013, 14:17   #37

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

This is a little thread drift, but what the heck is wrong with Venuzeala?

Apparently their political system doesn't distribute the benefits of their massive oil revenues very well? Is the govn't there "OK" with all of this, or just unable to deal with it? I'm not a Latin American current events scholar, obviously. But - what gives? In my (meager) knowledge of such things, it seems that most authoritarian regimes keep the petty criminals in line just as well as the average citizens they control ...

Other (poorer countries) don't seem to have such scary coastlines.
Old 15-11-2013, 14:20   #38

Boat: PETERSON 44
No mention of rape in the original post?
I think he was dismayed that a boat went that close to a known spot that has significant risk.
Like if I went 5 miles off Somalia and ran the coast. He could call me an idiot. I could say I knew the risk. We would both be right. If I sailed 5 miles off the Somalia coast with a real short skirt he could say I was an idiot with nice legs. Still I would be an idiot.
Old 15-11-2013, 14:24   #39

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
This thread is appalling. None of the analogies presented have been apples-to-apples comparisons. And shame on those of you who suggested that what a woman wears has ANY relationship to her likelihood of being raped. The single greatest marker associated with a likelihood of be raped is BEING FEMALE! The second is being a child of any gender. And that's true globally, as dozens of studies by anthropologists, psychologists, and sociologists have confirmed over the past several decades. A woman or a child perceived as vulnerable is likely to be raped by a man because of the MAN and because of the social conditions (culture) that say rape is a perfectly acceptable thing to do if the woman/child deserves it by wearing the "wrong" thing/being in the "wrong" place/being mouthy/[insert other ignorant, male-privileged, excuse-making here].

I'll grant you that it was a particularly unwise thing to sail in that area--I know that's a dangerous area and I've set foot on a boat exactly once 35 years ago--but as a wannabe cruiser, I read everything about sailing that I can get my hands on.

But making the rape comparison was unbelievably stupid, insensitive, and intellectually lame.

Redfeather,
Although you have drifted off thread,and with all due respect, I feel compelled to respond to your statements. I can assure you, sixty years of claptrap Feminism taught in "enlightened" Western Universities to easily brainwashed 18 year old students will never change 6 million years of hominid evolution. Your comments do not reflect the real world or real world circumstances since the majority of the world does not subscribe to this pseudo-intellectual banter and is driven by biology and culture. It would be patently unwise for you to travel outside ""civilized countries" where you would find, as other respondants have noted, a much different world than the one you have envisioned in your mind.
Old 15-11-2013, 14:26   #40

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

I told my kids when they were just learning to drive, "dead is dead no matter who is at fault". Its not the victims fault if you get robbed, raped, or somebody crashes into you. It is entirely possible to be in the right- and stupid though.
* oh and the statistic of 2012 is 28.6 rapes per 100,000, - hardly 1 out of 4. - still way to many though. Rape Statistics | Statistic Brain
Old 15-11-2013, 14:38   #41

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Wow,how things change.Back in 85,after Trinidad carnival,wife and I cleared into Venezuela at Guiria, on the Paria peninsula,prior to crossing the gulf into the Orinocco. Never saw another yacht and had no problems. Glad we did it then !
Old 15-11-2013, 14:42   #42

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Redfeather,
Although you have drifted off thread,and with all due respect, I feel compelled to respond to your statements. I can assure you, sixty years of claptrap Feminism taught in "enlightened" Western Universities to easily brainwashed 18 year old students will never change 6 million years of hominid evolution. Your comments do not reflect the real world or real world circumstances since the majority of the world does not subscribe to this pseudo-intellectual banter and is driven by biology and culture. It would be patently unwise for you to travel outside ""civilized countries" where you would find, as other respondants have noted, a much different world than the one you have envisioned in your mind.
I didn't take this thread off-topic; it started that way. And you're making a lot of erroneous assumptions: that only the Western world is civilized, that I've never traveled outside the Western world, that you know what you're talking about. You do realize that you're basically saying men are biologically inclined to rape and women and children to be victims? I've traveled extensively outside the United States, including to the country in question. I just happen to do it by plane rather than boat. And it remains true that rape happens more frequently in countries that never had a feminist rethinking of their culture than those that didn't. FTR, feminist thinking civilized Western attitudes toward women, and rape is commonplace in countries where women routinely dress very conservatively.

As I said earlier, it was incredibly shortsighted of those cruisers to sail so near the coast of Venezuela, but that has nothing to do with rape, its frequency, or its causes. Just another reason why the rape analogy was in such poor judgement.
Old 15-11-2013, 14:52   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Redfeather,
---Cool Nietzche quote ====heres mine---" a living thing desires above all to vent its strength"...
Old 15-11-2013, 14:55   #44

Boat: PETERSON 44
Another poster not the op brought the comparison of rape. Earlier post you made clearly accused the op of this.
Obviously you have a position that needs to be heard. I hope you are reading and responding with thought. You accused the op and are wrong in that position.the Op called them idiots. Maybe harsh and raises emotion. As a person that once or more was an idiot I am okay with being compared to someone running that section of water. They are in good company. Just not many cruisers near them right now, but I relate to how they feel as victim and idiot.
Old 15-11-2013, 15:03   #45

Boat: Pearson 34-II

""

"You do realize that you're basically saying men are biologically inclined to rape and women and children to be victims? " Redfeather

This comment is rude, patently absurd and false based upon what I have written and it is quite obvious that you are unable to understand a logical statement without it being clouded by the emotionally charged imaginations of your mind. Good luck, good sailing( in protected home waters) and may your education in all things philosophical be among like minded friends.
Closed Thread