Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 11:03   #61

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: I Wish I Never Bought This Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
If this is your boat, here is my input. This boat is barely more than a hull. The problem with used hulls is that new hulls are not much more expensive, and are more modern, lighter-weight, and more attractive in styling.
I would have to disagree!
Price the materials to build a hull these days. What I paid for mine 10 years ago wouldn't have even paid for half the raw materials at that time. Now they have doubled. My keel alone is worth $2000 in scrap. The price new is $20K maybe more by now.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
I agree with you Rebel, 36 is good for me too, I hope it'll serve my retirement out too. Just enough and nothing more. I sympathize with the OP, nothing worse than having a boat and not being able to sail her.
Another thing too is that if you stick with your boat long enough you know it. You know everything that can break, the things that might break, the things that really shouldn't break, etc. You know where the spares are, the tools are, that spare piece of timber you keep under the bunk, etc. How it handles, how it sails, its quirks, etc. If anything for me that adds a lot of safety and security.

No desire to switch boats at this point in my life. Would much rather just work on this one forever.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Another thing too is that if you stick with your boat long enough you know it.
No desire to switch boats at this point in my life. Would much rather just work on this one forever.
That is my thought, although we have TWO boats, which is sorta like having two wives that know each other.

Both boats were in pretty good or better shape when we bought them and they still cost a bunch to get them how WE wanted them. Heat, solo capable, etc.

While we may eventually sell one boat, I can't see selling both and getting another.

Then again, I swore I would never get married again.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 13:14   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
That is my thought, although we have TWO boats, which is sorta like having two wives that know each other.

Both boats were in pretty good or better shape when we bought them and they still cost a bunch to get them how WE wanted them. Heat, solo capable, etc.

While we may eventually sell one boat, I can't see selling both and getting another.

Then again, I swore I would never get married again.
I try to qualify all my statements with "at this point in my life." I barely know what the hell I'm doing tomorrow let alone ten years from now. I hear you man.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 13:40   #65

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I barely know what the hell I'm doing tomorrow let alone ten years from now.
The present moment is a good place to be. It's where life happens.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 15:11   #66

Boat: Com-pac 25

fascinating how rare things like this conversation has turned to a philosophical one
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 15:44   #67

There are times when I work on something on my boat and it becomes a project; to which I question "why did I buy this boat?"-- especially during the dark winter months whilst working on the boat in the cold temps.

But I am reminded during those special summer time moments, when the wind, the waves, and the sunset speak to me in a way that no other can; a way that sparks the mystical thoughts and feeling of life. And during those moments, no thought of time expended on the boat, no pain received, nor money spent ever intrudes such tranquility.

Is it worth it? You bet.

Fair winds,
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 16:02   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUrchin View Post
I've learned the hard way like you have, when I was very much a sailing newbie. It was a very frustrating to the point I became bitter, losing a whole sailing season, especially when I could see all the other boaters enjoy their boat off their slips. I would never purchase a boat again that cannot be regularly sailed safely for a reasonable distance - almost immediately after a purchase.
We have all been there or will be there at some point. Stuck somewhere for a maintenance issue. For me it was when my diesel died at the end of the season in 2006. I thought surely it was a simple problem as it had been running perfectly and had only 1900 hours on it. But, I was wrong. I worked on it over the winter and into the spring. When July Fourth rolled around and my boat was still in the boatyard I had them launch it without the mast and put it out on the mooring.
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: The Cruel Summer
I used it as my little island for the summer. I did not sail but, I did ENJOY my boat even if I never left the harbor. The beers, BBQ and boat drinks still tasted the same. So I feel I did not miss out too much.
Old 13-10-2012, 06:59   #69

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Your story is not adding up:

Kijiji : Poster's Ads.

From your AD's it looks like you still have the PY23 ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 07:01   #70

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Your story is not adding up:

Kijiji : Poster's Ads.

From your AD's it looks like you still have the PY23 ?
Nope , that's my old one. It belongs to my friend where i also keep my boat.
Old 13-10-2012, 07:26   #71

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Thats the boat. The hull is sound and smooth. It was well built, you would not be able to tell it is ferro. The interior needs more work and all the deck hard ware needs to be put back on, wiring , plumbing....... It also needs a traveler system.. Hull cleaned..etc..

I know you've been throwing your time and money and energy at this and it's getting frustrating, but aside from the engine, it all sounds doable.

Wiring and plumbing can start small and evolve as you have time. We cruised without a toilet for several years -- not fun, but doable. . . . And my initial wiring only had a few circuits -- a couple of cabin lights, nav lights, radio.

As for the engine, why not just pull it, leave yourself some nice new cabin space, and get a used outboard on a bracket that makes it manageable? Not ideal -- but better than nothing.

It seems like a good boat in general. Maybe worth sticking with it. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 07:40   #72

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Hi Mark. I know what its like to get mired in a project that seems unending and mentally puttingnout a large anchor. Maybe if you post some pictures as she is now and any you have before. And during we could offer comments to help you get thriugh it. Best of luck to you, Scott
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 07:56   #73

Boat: islandpacket
I sold my project boat on ebay. I lost so much money and time on it. Best thing I ever did.
Old 13-10-2012, 08:57   #74

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
I know you've been throwing your time and money and energy at this and it's getting frustrating, but aside from the engine, it all sounds doable.

Wiring and plumbing can start small and evolve as you have time. We cruised without a toilet for several years -- not fun, but doable. . . . And my initial wiring only had a few circuits -- a couple of cabin lights, nav lights, radio.

As for the engine, why not just pull it, leave yourself some nice new cabin space, and get a used outboard on a bracket that makes it manageable? Not ideal -- but better than nothing.

It seems like a good boat in general. Maybe worth sticking with it. . . .
Thanks to all for the words of encouregment. It looks like it will be around for another winter. I have lots of lobster to catch over the winter and build up boat fund. Who knows maybe in the spring I will change my mind.
Old 13-10-2012, 09:35   #75

What is the deal with the rebuilt engine anyway? What went wrong...? That boat looks pretty good for a cement boat.
How would you mount an outboard bracket onto a cement boat anyway...? Cement drills and huge backing plate? It's a viable option for now.... can always use the bracket to store the dingy motor later. It's a big heavy boat, but 15 HP will probably push it well enough...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote