Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 21:02   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: I Wish I Never Bought This Boat

Buma Mark.... know how you feel mate most of my 14 boats have been fixer uppers bar 3...
To the knockers.... man you guys are harsh...
Thats like telling a delivery skipper if he cant afford to not to get paid don't work...lmao.
If she's afloat and tidy inside try renting her as a houseboat till she sells... get some thing while your waiting at least..
Good Luck mate

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:22   #32

I bought a 71 year old steel sailboat. I went into it thinking it was a ton of work and though I know nothing of steel I knew the systems and interior refit would be a b*tch.

But I'm actually enjoying it more, and more the more time I spend on it. At first it was a bit overwhelming, so I'd just try a small project, like 'add shorepower connection'

Done, hey that looks nice!

It's real easy to start fifty projects and make no headway. But when you start looking at things you did that you're proud of you can't wait to move to the next one.

So the best advice I think I recieved that I can pass on is do one section at a time.

And even though I'm a pretty crap welder, I still find it WAY easier (and WAY WAY cheaper) to work with than FG.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:28   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
A good reality check ...for those thinking of doing the same thing. If it's old and not been replaced in the last decade, it will need to be. I have told people more than once, "work some overtime or a year longer and buy a newer or less project boat"... Now if I could just take my own advice.
The amazing thing about it is, after boating for 40 years, you would think a person would know everything he needs to... to avoid problems... then something totally new pops up after you buy that boat....
A 30 foot boat is a great cruising boat, it has 2 staterooms, a head, a galley and it limits the size of everything and how much you can complicate it!!
We're at 36 right now and even with a second kid on the way I really have a hard time justifying a bigger boat. A bunch of people who don't have to maintain it, equip it, and deal with it might think it "makes sense to get a bigger boat", but I don't think I have the mental capacity to handle going through another extensive refit process.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:55   #34

Even if the alternative is no boat, there are not any ferro-cement boats that will ever make my fleet list.
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 22:01   #35

Boat: Pearson, 28-1

"Three years ago I had the bright idea to buy a bigger boat...."

True for me as well. I picked up a boat that wasn't worth fixing, though I didn't realize it at the time, and decided that it would be a fun 6 month learning experience. 3 years later I'm still working on and spending money on that boat.

Would I do as extensive a restoration again? @#$% no! Have I learned a lot and enjoyed most of the process? absolutely. Perhaps most importantly I have learned that with a boat in better condition I could have enjoyed a brief stay in the yard and then learned all that I would care to about boat repair in between periods of boating. I've also learned that one should only take on a project boat if they want to spend their time and money working on that project boat. A project boat is not the cheap or quick way to go sailing and you risk years of your life (!) and multiples of the boats potential financial value in taking on a project boat.

In focusing on the restoration of my boat I've spent most of the last three years living in the boatyard. In that time I've heard about and witnessed numerous boat restoration failures that are surely typical of what is seen around the world. A number of guys have grown too old or unwell to finish and in two cases that I know of the guys died before completing their boats in part because the projects took so long (decades). Money is another big reason to walk away as the numbers don't add up with most project boats and it's hard to make money while working on the boat as much as you can. Over the years and thousands that a restoration will take lots (life) will happen and it is a challenge to stay focused and working on the seemingly unending tasks.

Of course every boat is different and from what I've seen mine was closer to the junk end of the spectrum. Likewise someone with more experience can complete tasks more quickly than a learner who has to go slow and sometimes redo mistakes. Regardless of the boat and skill involved the folks that I've seen succeed in their restorations all dedicated a lot of time, effort and money towards the boat. The guys that won't succeed can usually be identified early in their restoration process.

I'm sorry to hear about the original posters situation and wonder if he isn't at the point where it is best to cut his losses and walk away so that he can spend his time and money on/with his family. His situation makes me appreciate the freedom that I've had to drop everything but the boat restoration though.

If anyone is considering taking on their first project boat I will, out of kindness, be glad to help in the following way. At a rate relative to the size of the project you are considering I'll let you pay me hourly to work on my boat. I can only offer this help until my boat is launched but I can guarantee that this arrangement will provide directly relevant boat restoration experience (including financial frustration and physical fatigue) and that your investment with me should save you greatly in both time and money in the long run. PM me for more information or questions

Jonathan
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 23:04   #36

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatketch33
"You will have a difficult time selling a concrete boat with a frozen engine. "

Oh something about the above quote from the previous message sounds odd. Just trying to picture it in my mind.

Anyone else ?

GreatKetch33
What? What I say?

Hay, you have me beat by a foot!
Old 11-10-2012, 23:10   #37

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
We're at 36 right now and even with a second kid on the way I really have a hard time justifying a bigger boat. A bunch of people who don't have to maintain it, equip it, and deal with it might think it "makes sense to get a bigger boat", but I don't think I have the mental capacity to handle going through another extensive refit process.
I agree with you Rebel, 36 is good for me too, I hope it'll serve my retirement out too. Just enough and nothing more. I sympathize with the OP, nothing worse than having a boat and not being able to sail her.
Old 11-10-2012, 23:35   #38

Boat: '02 Jeanneau Sun Odyssy 43DS
If the problem is only motoring in and out just ge
t a cheap outboard to take you in and out
You could be sailing at least again

I also ot a project boat and for the first 7 months went sailing twice but working every weekend on it, eventually I re-assesed my needs and deciced on less make-up and more sailing

Andres
andreshs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 00:00   #39

Boat: William Bollard, Gypsy Wave, 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Blah, blah, blah....Very helpful Matthew.

This poor bugger has made it clear he understands what he did wrong and now he is humbling himself, trying to provide a salient lesson to the hundreds of others, some of whom he may dissuade by his humility, who otherwise may make the same blunder.
Well, with the exception of the first bit you wrote, your comments seem to validate mine even more.

And yes they are helpful.

If you dont know what your buying dont buy it.

If you dont know what it will cost even as an estimate, then dont buy it.

If you bought it anyway and dont like it then get rid of it and take your lesson as being learnt.

As for giving others lessons to those who blunder? do blunderers listen while there blundering,...?

But then as you say, blah blah blah, for some people might be on level that they understand easier matey.

Matthew
Old 12-10-2012, 01:24   #40

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

The boat project trap. Best off never starting if you don't enjoy the fixing part as much as the sailing part. If you are coming at the project from the perspective of a classic car restoration, you are better off. Driving a classic is fun, but the guys who own them spend much more time obsessing over the details and polishing, than driving. I'm painting with a broad brush there. I have my own project and the journey is the point, not the destination. It's been 4 years since I was on the water. I'm happy working as much as sailing.
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:28   #41

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I've kind of made a hobby of doing up boats, but here's some food for thought.

First boat: 18 ft trailer sailer. Time to refurb (including trailer) 6 weeks
Second boat: 24 ft keel boat. Time to refurb 9 months (estimated 3 months)
Third boat: 27 ft keel boat. Time to refurb 14 months (estimated 7 months)

I have vowed never, ever to do a project again The real eye opener was how much longer it took to refurb a boat only 3 feet longer then the previous one. I can truly understand how big boats sit in yards undergoing refurbishment for years and years.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:01   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

IIRC there is a link in my sig about project boats ......and despite the title is as much about thinking carefully before leaping.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eas-73045.html
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:19   #43

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thats like telling a delivery skipper if he cant afford to not to get paid don't work...lmao.
Boatman -- we lost track since they shut down the "legal defense fund" thread. Can you give us any news on your situation? I hope you're making progress. (Sorry for thread drift.)
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:14   #44

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Blah, blah, blah....Very helpful Matthew.

This poor bugger has made it clear he understands what he did wrong and now he is humbling himself, trying to provide a salient lesson to the hundreds of others, some of whom he may dissuade by his humility, who otherwise may make the same blunder.
Exactly......
Old 12-10-2012, 04:41   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

the least expensive boat to buy is the well maintained one!

the most expensive boat to buy to is the brand new one, or the needs TLC/project boat!

bet the same applies to house, cars ................ women