Old 30-10-2012, 16:21   #137

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: I Wish I Never Bought This Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandgilbert99 View Post
Quote from dictionary:

Definition of SERVICEABLE

: helpful, useful

: fit for use <a serviceable design>; also : of adequate quality <her serviceable but not exceptional voice — Irving Kolodin>
For the buyer one meaning for the seller another.
Yep a serviceable engine could be fit for use as spare parts
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:49   #138

If the pain is consistently more than the pleasure of owning the boat, it is time to look for more pleasure elsewhere.
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:32   #139

I was lucky, as a kid I saw more than one friend's dad's project dream boat lie wasting away as he piddled on it for my entire youth... Neither saw the water in 15 years...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:48   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatketch33 View Post
If the pain is consistently more than the pleasure of ..., it is time to look for more pleasure elsewhere.
If that were true I would have to look for a new life. :-)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:21   #141

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Life cannot be made uniquely of pleasure, boats are part of life and once we accept that a boat and a life are made of both pleasure and pain, the balance between the two is normal, then all is well. One of the best time of my life was when I cruised in the Bahamas with my first boat after I suffered hell building it for several years before. Had I not suffered so much I am not sure I would have had so much fun after!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:09   #142

Well, to help avoid the pain, I made sure I purchased a pleasure boat, and to reinforce such delight I also selected the check box on the New York boat registration form indicating the boat is used for pleasure. Ah., life is good.

:-) now I only need some wind and sun.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:19   #143

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
New York boat registration.......

Haven't had enough wind for this year.
Old 13-11-2012, 08:40   #144

It is odd how my mood swings about this boat. I've never been a moody person but something about this winterizing drill has me down in the dumps. I guess it's the fact that I took it all apart and can now see right in my face what still needs to be done. I have so many dang thru hulls in the boat it's crazy. So I'm back to continuously doing the cost reward analysis in my head, I know it's totally counter productive and all the reasons I bought it are still there, I think my biggest issue is with myself, knowing I can't get it all "right" in a timely fashion. I keep telling myself, little bites, little bites....but why work on the floor if you know you need to replace the tanks. Why paint the hull if you know you need to remove thru hulls. Why run new wiring if you are going to pull it back out later. Why do anything if you are not going to do it right out the gate. If only....I had the time and money I would haul it, strip it and start anew. And this is a boat that sails, motors, generates, navigates, communicates and has cold beer, and a place to go potty. I cant imagine the OP's dispare.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 08:56   #145

What's a little pleasure without a little pain? I think an earlier post about completely cleaning the boat out, sitting and reevaluating what REALLY has to be done will make it better.
We read too much, see too much on forums and we start thinking things have to be a certain way. DSDman mentioned "too many thru hulls"... it's probably on the back of his mind... some people are proponants of eliminating thru hulls..... I cant remember who was the original writer who suggested that, but basically, like many things written by cruisers, it's something they wish they had done but didnt do. I tried it on one boat.... it was a mess.... Tees, long hoses, clamps, strumboxes etc... I would bet money that the boat was more likely to sink with all that going on then the original thru hulls!
Hone your list down to the must haves.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 10:00   #146

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
What's a little pleasure without a little pain? ....
We read too much, see too much on forums and we start thinking things have to be a certain way.....
Agreed!
We are unfortunately living in a fast pace world, everything must be "NOW!, I just can't wait!", and this causes many psychological problems, among them the one of renovating rather than sailing. If you hate working with your hands, buying a boat was the wrong choice in the first place unless you have unlimited funding.
On the opposite if you don't mind experimenting and learning new things, this is a very good way to grow your manual skills as well as challenge your mind with difficult problems to resolve.
At the age of fast computers and immediate rewards, working at renovating a sailboat to travel at the speed of a bicycle can seem stupid however in my opinion it is rather a life enlightening experience.
Old 13-11-2012, 10:05   #147

Agree as well, on another post in another thread I had mentioned one of the biggest things this whole experience was teaching me was patience and discipline, so I guess this is just part of the curriculum. I can't wait to pass
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 16:00   #148

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Well, to help avoid the pain, I made sure I purchased a pleasure boat, and to reinforce such delight I also selected the check box on the New York boat registration form indicating the boat is used for pleasure. Ah., life is good.

Did you get enough wind?
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 03:43   #149

No, Need more wind. And sun. Dark gray clouds in Central New York are depressing.
Old 17-11-2012, 11:44   #150

I forsee someone who hangs out at my boats marina making a post just like this in the future...

Fella was looking at buying a 26 col k. It was in ok condition nothing special needed a paint job but looked striking from a distance. I saw the boat was gone asked him if he bought it.

Nope. Guy offered him best offer of $2500 for the boat with the basic sail set or $3000 with all the sails. Had a 2 stroke 6hp that came with it. He offered the guy $500 and was told to take a hike, someone else bought it.

I asked him what was wrong because thats pretty cheap for a sailboat thats ready to sail and only needs a little cleanup and tlc.

He told me he was going to look at a free boat down the sound that had been demasted and had the interior gutted. I advised him that even getting the hull for free he would be shelling out a killing to get that boat sailable, let alone looking anywhere near as good as that col 26 k, a winch alone can run you a few hundred bucks. He said there are lots of free hulls around to be found and he can just get them sit them at anchor and strip them of parts, why pay to have a boat?

I asked him if hed restored a boat before, assuming with a plan like that he must have a clue. Nope. He had his dinghy sailing instructors course but didnt own a boat, not even a dinghy.

I was thinking this guy is out to lunch. I asked him what he wss going to do with the stripped hulls he was going to accumulate. You cant just sink them, and the more stripped they are the more water is going to leak in and fill the boats, hed be doing a full time job pumping bilges because no electrical pump is gonna last. He figured hed haul them out, clean them and sell them.

How he figured hed be able to sell an old hull, stripped, that he got for free including the parts bolted to it i dunno.

But seeing the title of this post made me think of him immediately. If he ever did get that demasted stripped hull, having no money, no expertise, no boat to get to and from it at anchor or tow it, and trying to part out hulls (hed have to find similar boats to strip of parts, of course), and figure out how to repair the mast and rigging system in such a way that it doesnt just snap off in a light breeze.....

Lol. No offense to the op - this is entirely off topic sorry
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote