Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 08:19   #16

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Jackdale:

I see your credentials, but I beg to differ, as I have made several direct inquiries with the Coast Guard, over the years, and their responses disagree with you. Unless this has changed in the last 5 years.

The folks I talked to said something like "if you've been there before, there's no legal requirement to have charts." Perhaps that's why you've put "Legal" in quotes?

I don't believe it's a requirement in the USA either.

I wanted to question your post, as I'd hate for the Canadian readers of this thread to start a panicked rush to the chart purveyors, just to remain "legal", if it's not necessary. We don't need charts aboard to be legal.

Thanks.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:24   #17

Boat: C&C Invader36
Send a message via Skype™ to Greason

Done. I somehow doubt that the sale of charts os a big money maker for Canada.
Greason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:27   #18

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"They should be viewed as a public good, akin to roads or Justin's perfectly quaffed hair." Mike OReilly

Outstanding!!!
Old 09-05-2017, 08:47   #19

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
In fact Canadian charts encoding is done by a private compagny, and I doubt that they will give them away.
Please provide a source to backup this claim!

I beleive you are wrong here. The encoding of the charts is done by the Canadian Hydrographic Service. The encryption of the charts is most likely outsourced. However, its the encryption that I'm asking to have removed!

For anyone wondering our actual laws, Jackdale is correct. You can see the actual law here at this link. Scroll down to section 4 and section 5.
Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations, 1995

However, those laws were written in 1995 and I beleive would be considered antiquated if tested in a court of law.

To DeepFriz.. Yup, there are many other things important things to rail about. I encourage you to get out and rail about some of them. This just happened to be something that touched me and I felt compelled to step forward. In case you are wondering, this will have ZERO effect on me as I don't boat or cruise in Canadian waters. It has nothing to do with a personal cost to me.

To everyone that has signed...
THANK YOU.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:21   #20

Boat: Ontario32

Signed and content about it. Although I have all my charts.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:30   #21

Boat: Morgan OI 37

I'm in
BobLoucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:35   #22

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Please provide a source to backup this claim!

I beleive you are wrong here. The encoding of the charts is done by the Canadian Hydrographic Service. The encryption of the charts is most likely outsourced. However, its the encryption that I'm asking to have removed!

For anyone wondering our actual laws, Jackdale is correct. You can see the actual law here at this link. Scroll down to section 4 and section 5.
Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations, 1995

However, those laws were written in 1995 and I beleive would be considered antiquated if tested in a court of law.

To DeepFriz.. Yup, there are many other things important things to rail about. I encourage you to get out and rail about some of them. This just happened to be something that touched me and I felt compelled to step forward. In case you are wondering, this will have ZERO effect on me as I don't boat or cruise in Canadian waters. It has nothing to do with a personal cost to me.

To everyone that has signed...
THANK YOU.

Read this link & Google NDI Charts for further info on the production of electronic charts.
Note: I would love to see the truth come out regarding the NDI/ CHS electronic chart production fiasco!
Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: NDI, chart pirates?

Len
Old 09-05-2017, 09:48   #23
mcm

About time , done..
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:15   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Read this link & Google NDI Charts for further info on the production of electronic charts.
Note: I would love to see the truth come out regarding the NDI/ CHS electronic chart production fiasco!
Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: NDI, chart pirates?

Len
Thank you for the link. Interesting read. If you read the comments there is some extra information. As I suspected the charts are now owned, distributed and supported by Canadian Hydrographic Services (essentialy a government arm).

Look at the dates.. That took place over 10 years ago. Crazy the charts aren't free by now!
Old 09-05-2017, 10:42   #25

Done.
Rudderless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:53   #26

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Great Idea!

I have signed.

Maybe try writing Pacific Yachting to spread the word?

- evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:15   #27

Boat: GibSea 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by foojin View Post
Forgive me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that US government agencies (such as NOAA) cannot copyright their creations, thereby competing with private interests. After taxes, their services are available for free.

I agree to a point that Canadian boaters are paying twice for the privilege of nautical charts, once as a taxpayer and once as a boater, but there are many Canadian government services that are set up this way.
Maybe,
But we Canadian don't pay for our medical services.. Or more precisely every one is covered by our income taxes...
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:19   #28

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I think that there are far more important things to rail against than the cost of a few charts.
I am in the USA, so I have no dog in this fight (except as a possible buyer) but I am genuinely curious as to why the cost of charts is too unimportant to even seek a change? I understand that there can be differences in the relative importance of issues, but sometimes (often?) the opportunity to address one issue enhances the opportunity to address another.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:30   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
I am in the USA, so I have no dog in this fight (except as a possible buyer) but I am genuinely curious as to why the cost of charts is too unimportant to even seek a change? I understand that there can be differences in the relative importance of issues, but sometimes (often?) the opportunity to address one issue enhances the opportunity to address another.
You and me see eye to eye on this %100.. I think this petition is an important first step. After this, it would make sense to push forward with updating the antiquated 1995 law.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:50   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by svquintana View Post
Jackdale:

I see your credentials, but I beg to differ, as I have made several direct inquiries with the Coast Guard, over the years, and their responses disagree with you. Unless this has changed in the last 5 years.

The folks I talked to said something like "if you've been there before, there's no legal requirement to have charts." Perhaps that's why you've put "Legal" in quotes?

I don't believe it's a requirement in the USA either.

I wanted to question your post, as I'd hate for the Canadian readers of this thread to start a panicked rush to the chart purveyors, just to remain "legal", if it's not necessary. We don't need charts aboard to be legal.

Thanks.
Paul.
The Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations require that boat operators carry the latest and largest scale versions of the following onboard with them:

Local Marine Charts
The required publications and documents (such as ‘Current Atlases’ and ‘Tide Tables’). You may be exempt from these requirements if your vessel is under 100 tons and powered by oars or if you have substantial knowledge of the local waterway.

Oh, and I was speaking for myself in my previous post. But good luck in your endeavor. And if you expect to change a law be prepared to spend a whole lot of time and money in that effort.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote