Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 11:02   #1

Boat: Catalina 22 - 1972
Hull number delima

After discovering my friends 8 year old Carolina Skiff has had all hull numbers removed, indicating it is likely a stolen boat, I checked mine.

Built in April 1972, before the law requiring HIN numbers later that year. My 22 number, hand engraved on the transom, is prefaced with a Florida home made boat HIN, FLZ, although the title lists it as a Catalina. The problem is that the hull number is 4309 on the engraving. PROBLEM...Catalina lists hull number 5000 as rolling out in February of 1975. Am I to believe that there were less than 700 Cat 22's built in the three years after mine. As there were, according to my number, 4000 built in the three years prior, the first in July of 1969, the numbers are suspicious, as is the home made boat designation by the state of Florida.

Any opinions are welcome,

Dave
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:15   #2

Re: Hull number delima

You are saying Catalina put a home made boat designation on it.... that is wierd..
or saying it was added? Many states didn't have registration, It might have been easier/cheaper to specify as home built when registering for the first time.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:17   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
After discovering my friends 8 year old Carolina Skiff has had all hull numbers removed, indicating it is likely a stolen boat, I checked mine.

Built in April 1972, before the law requiring HIN numbers later that year. My 22 number, hand engraved on the transom, is prefaced with a Florida home made boat HIN, FLZ, although the title lists it as a Catalina. The problem is that the hull number is 4309 on the engraving. PROBLEM...Catalina lists hull number 5000 as rolling out in February of 1975. Am I to believe that there were less than 700 Cat 22's built in the three years after mine. As there were, according to my number, 4000 built in the three years prior, the first in July of 1969, the numbers are suspicious, as is the home made boat designation by the state of Florida.

Any opinions are welcome,

Dave
is this a new boat to you, if not why are you losing sleep over this,
Old 10-03-2015, 15:36   #4

Boat: Catalina 22 - 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
is this a new boat to you, if not why are you losing sleep over this,
A better question is why, since you have nothing to contribute to the topic, you would choose to post such a lame reply. I guess maintaining your average of 6 posts every single day since you joined, is hard work.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 15:42   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
A better question is why, since you have nothing to contribute to the topic, you would choose to post such a lame reply. I guess maintaining your average of 6 posts every single day since you joined, is hard work.

No need to be nasty. I was being genuine. I mean if you owned the boat fir some time what's the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2015, 19:21   #6

Boat: Sea Sprite 23

I will be going through this later myself. My SeaSprite was built in 1963 and spent most of it's time on Lake Champlain where NY does not require older boats to have HINs or even titles.

New Jersey is -not- amused by this and requires that I trailer the boat to the nearest marine police barracks to have them check the boat out
Old 10-03-2015, 20:12   #7

Lack of HIN does not necessarily mean it was stolen. I once came across a 1979 C&C 36 which lacked HIN on its transom. Turned out the stern was damaged in an accident and was rebuilt and apparently the yard neglected to re-stamp the HIN. The repair was documented and confirmed by a phone call to the yard. I ended up not buying it but for other reasons.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:19   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dave.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull