Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2017, 14:57   #1

Boat: prairie cutter 32
how to handle a prairie cutter 32'

I own a prairie cutter 32 and did a lot of renovation in the galley and on deck.Question i have some problems tacking under one sail ,Main or genoa.I get speed around 5knot start to tack as soon as she is right in the wind she stay there and turn back to where i start .How can i solve that problem.
pnvalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 15:33   #2

Re: how to handle a prairie cutter 32'

Are you turning fast enough? Are you letting some sheet out before you start the tack?

Is that a full keel? May have to let out the sheet and turn a bit faster and get back on the sheet quicker than you are used to? But only having main as power, I am not sure what the problem is.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 15:34   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Use both the main and jib?!?!

Or try jamming the helm over and getting through the wind with what speed you have available.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 15:37   #4

Yeah going steady at 5kt I am having trouble visualizing any boat not coming through the wind. Yeah may have to let the job sheet out a bit to get the power off the bow but it should come right over worth tiller jammed.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 16:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: how to handle a prairie cutter 32'

With the jib keep the sheet taut as you point up and don't let go till the jib backs full to help you round.. if that fails then just switch to gybing instead..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 16:32   #6

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Gybe!
Old 24-04-2017, 16:39   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: how to handle a prairie cutter 32'

Oh..!!! and tiller 2/3rds over.. hard over it becomes like a brake and bleeds your speed.. full keel hung rudders tend to do that.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 17:50   #8

it is a full keel .And a heavy boat 7 tons .
Old 24-04-2017, 18:32   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

OP, could you please describe the actual technique that you use when tacking? That is, at what apparent wind angle do you start the tack, how are the sail(s) sheeted, how much rudder to you use, and, when using the foresail, when do you release the old sheet?

On the face of it, your heavy boat should have enough carry to get you through the eye of the wind. Oh... by any chance is your bottom foul? A surprisingly small amount of fouling can stop a boat in its tracks, and frustrate tacking or other maneuvers that rely upon inertia to complete successfully.

Jim
Old 25-04-2017, 08:55   #10

Given the lines of this boat, I'm not surprised :-) Boatman and SailsToo laid it out, tho.

Before you lay the helm down, bear off a tad to get to maximum speed, then, on the call, lay the helm down about 2/3 of total travel or something like 30º. In this boat you'll likely have to hold the helm down by sticking the tiller twixt your legs while you work the sheets. Watch your headsl luff. The moment you see a ripple, start the headsl sheet completely. Leave it started till the headsl is on the new side. Now make sure by watching your telltales on your shrouds that the wind is 15º or 20º on the new side. Then SLOWLY haul the new lee sheet, paced to the rate of turn, so that you come to the mark on the sheet when the wind is 60º or so on the new side. Then, but only then, can you bring her up on the new course till you see a ripple in the headsl luff. Then you fall off a tad to keep the drive in the sail.

An embellishment on the "standard" procedure is to leave the headsl sheeted on the "old side" till it backwinds as the boat is turning. That will help to drive the head through the eye of the wind and fall you off on the new side. Again, you watch your telltales on your shrouds, and when you have the wind 20º on the new side your start the headsl sheet on the old side and haul taut on the new side.

That will work in this boat when you have a bit of wind. In a zephyr it might not work due to the lines of the boat. But as others have said, if you miss stays, just wear her. "Wearing" is the act of bringing the wind on the other side of the boat by turning the stern through the wind. "Gybing" is act of bringing the boom oven onto the new side in a controlled fashion, and in an intrinsic part of wearing. Gybing in any amount of wind can be hard on the gear and even dangerous unless you know how to control the motion of the boom by using the mainsheet. When you wear, the headsl will take care of itself.

Pick yourself a day with 10 or 12 knots of wind and just go out and practice, practice, practice! In such gentle, but sufficient, wind in a tiller steered boat this size you should be able to do it all yourself in one well coordinated "cockpit dance" without using winches or any other kind of "help".

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 09:00   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

All good advice! I think it's key to back the jib to help bring the bow around.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 19:58   #12

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

It is similar to getting to Carnegie Hall, practice, practice, practice. Review the techniques provided, I'd start using boatman's, and practice practice, practice. You will gain a feel for your vessel and understand her sensitivities. I am not kidding, sailboats are like fine instruments, they need tuning, and so does the player. Yeah, gybing works, but it is not easy on the rigging. Making sure her bottom is clean can help, as can a responsive crew if you have one. Good timing is another factor. Do experiment because gybing should not be necessary, although it is good to know how to do it for use when a situation calls for it.
Old 25-04-2017, 20:15   #13

Thank you all for you advice .I am actually going out every two days and keep practicing, following all those wonderful advices.My next step is to clean again the bottom and the tailer .The wind in Miami is pretty steady at 10knots every afternoon .Thank you and will let you know my progress.

Tags
cutter