Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2011, 17:00   #1

pirate How to Get Started

Hello all,

About three years ago, I was involved in a bad car/truck accident and I suffered a brain injury and spinal cord injuries. I love the water and my family had power boats when I was growing up. I want to get started in sailing and would like to live aboard in the future. I was a corporate lawyer but I am no longer able to work. Thus, "free time" is not an issue. I live in Houston but I am going through a divorce (another casualty of the accident). I will be living in the Palm Beach, FL area in the near future.

What's the best way to get started? I was thinking about water sailing">Blue Water Sailing School. Someone suggested that I join a yacht club or sailing club. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I've also been researching live aboard sailboats. I want something that I can take on extended trips by myself, is large enough for a guest or two and is safe. So far, I like the Beneteau 473, the newer Beneteau 46 and the Jenneau 45DS. Does anyone have thoughts or advice on these boats or other options I should consider.

This is going to be the beginning of a new life for me so I thought it would be a good idea to ask others for input. Thanks in advance.
Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 23:58   #2

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: How to get started

The best sailors come from starting on a small Lasar's or Sunfish's or a Hobie-cat and make some mistaques and turn one over just to find out how far to go before releasing the lines learn to feather the wind by really feeling it on a light boat like a bird learning to fly ( JUST DO IT ). There should be a sailing school that can get you on the water the first day as soon as they know you can swim.You will find even a few days on small boats very valuable and when you get into bigger boats you will know the basic's and not be intemidated with all the hallards and sheets bigger boats have.
I started on something like a Sunfish and jumped to small catamarans that my neighbor owned and then Hobie 16 in the early 70's and came back to sailing after being rearended by a logging truck and bought a MacGregor 26M 5 years ago and now our first crusing catamaran a year ago, we love it.
You say you have neck problems, so do I and with spending time in some beautiful anchorages where the traffic made my neck hurt from the boat rolling so we bought our Gemini 105Mc and no more neck problem the movement is more relaxed and easier.
Good luck on your sailing quest
Old 28-12-2011, 10:14   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

First Newbe...Congratulations on your new life-style change. There is a reason for everything. webe has the right idea of getting a small day sailor you can buy for cheap and flip in 6 months or so, while you look for the mother-ship. An Omega or Capri 14 would work and you can stay relatively dry in them. Also your choice for Florida is a good one. Great weather and cheap prices.
Good luck and PM me if you have any questions...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 10:29   #4

What they said.

I would recommend just getting out there, on the water, anyway, anyhow you can.

Bug any friends who own sailboats. Take a class. Offer to crew a boat for beer can racing at your local yacht club, in exchange for learning.

Don't rush and assume you know the right boat for your first. Though you may have some candidates in mind based on reading the web, taking advice from others, etc., you will never know if it is the "right" boat until you can sail others.

But get lots of time on the water anyway you can.
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 11:23   #5

Boat: 1985 Marinette, Sedan, 29.5

Newbe,

Sorry to hear about your bad misfortunes. Life kicks most of us sooner or later. Don't get caught up in self pitty...Pick yourself up, dust off and go sailing ... sounds like a great plan!

One day I hope to make sailing a big part of my life.

Still dreamin'
tundrarules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 18:39   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Ditto, about learning on a smaller boat first. Though I would buy a cheap 20'-22' with an outboard as learning to dock the boat will be the fun (and/or scary) part. Maybe take a sailing course or three first or sail on OPB (other peoples boats) before. Then flip / move up in 6+ months ish. First it gives you time to learn the basics and second it will be easier to get insurance on the big boat if you can show some sailing experience.

Docking a small boat will not really prepare you for the big boat but it will give you the idea anyway. Docking a boat, be it 30, 40 or 50 foot, well life can get really exciting. A cross current or a good breeze and life is interesting. The bad news is the only way to learn to dock a boat is to do it over and over again.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 19:32   #7

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I would charter different boats in the size that you are considering to get a feel for the different designs and how they behave in different conditions, when anchoring, when docking, when reefed. You will quickly discover which boats have a sea kindly motion, which ones are set up for single handing, which ones require lots of maintenance, which systems you want to have on board.

You also learn a great deal about yourself and what you like when you do a charter.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 16:06   #8

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I always practice never going faster than I'am willing to hit something while docking. Has worked well so far;-)
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 16:32   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

sailing schools are very impersonal,my best advice would be to join a yacht that is actively cruising,and pay a share of the expenses,this way you will get the true cruising experiance and one on one training,for the boat and most important for the lifestyle.

once you are competent enough to have your own vessel,have a competent person skipper/co skipper the boat untill you feel you have your wings.

if you have limited finances disregard this advice,but this is the best way to do it if you want to "fast track" your life..
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 16:59   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34
Ditto, about learning on a smaller boat first. Though I would buy a cheap 20'-22' with an outboard as learning to dock the boat will be the fun (and/or scary) part. Maybe take a sailing course or three first or sail on OPB (other peoples boats) before. Then flip / move up in 6+ months ish. First it gives you time to learn the basics and second it will be easier to get insurance on the big boat if you can show some sailing experience.

Docking a small boat will not really prepare you for the big boat but it will give you the idea anyway. Docking a boat, be it 30, 40 or 50 foot, well life can get really exciting. A cross current or a good breeze and life is interesting. The bad news is the only way to learn to dock a boat is to do it over and over again.
There will be no shortage of advice on how to start but for "midlifers" I find it tough to reecommend a dinghy. Quite frankly I don't have the mobility to have "real" fun on dinghy's any more. My brother's 15 footer is ok as it has about 2 foot of freeboard and the boom is easy to get under. I recently sailed a bahia 16 and would say that is as small a boat as I would start on simply becuase of mobility.

The next step up is a 22-24 foot keelboat. Light enough to feel the effects of your inputs - quick feedback. But if you are headed for a bigger boat anyway there is another path that may be totally better for you. I am guessing that funds are not too constrained.

I would visit several chartering outfits in your proximity. Find one that seems to have a bit of a club atmosphere. You want something that looks like it gets repeat business. Then take their beginner keelboat courses. See if you can join a group class - who knows you may meet future crew. After taking the first couple of classes and chartering their 22 footers a bit - mainly to see if you like it and to hopefully hook up with some relative beginners who may want to charter larger with you - sailing is more fun with 2 or 3 up.

With some time in 22 footers check out and charter their 31s and 36s. You will find in the beginning that 31 is a lot of boat. You will be building single handing skills and also along the way hopefully making some sailing buddies. After some charters in 36s I think you will have a much better idea how big a boat you want and need. 47 is a massive boat for a single hander. Totally doable but not a realistic goal in the first year of sailing.

Finally, you didn't say much about your mobility from the injuries. Monohull boats heel a bit and there are lots of strings to pull. You will find muscles you didn't know you had complining after a good day on the boat.

A more sedate option from a heeling standpoint are catamarans and you may end up a convert after you get some sailing time under your belt. For any boat over 40 feet powered winches, furling sails, autopilots and other automation reduce workload if strength or mobility are issues.

PS - Welcome aboard CF. You have found the best place on the net!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 17:36   #11

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
sailing schools are very impersonal,my best advice would be to join a yacht that is actively cruising,and pay a share of the expenses,this way you will get the true cruising experiance and one on one training,for the boat and most important for the lifestyle.

once you are competent enough to have your own vessel,have a competent person skipper/co skipper the boat untill you feel you have your wings.

if you have limited finances disregard this advice,but this is the best way to do it if you want to "fast track" your life..

For your circumstance Atoll's suggestion makes a lot of sense as essentially it is a matter of fast tracking to a vessel for you.

I would also consider the suggestion of chartering some vessels to get a feel of specific vessels before purchase.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 02:58   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

I see no problem with the boat selection - for starting out I would mix up the approaches (Sailing club / charter / sailing school / dock buddies), simply to see what works for you (and you enjoy). I would give the Sailing Dink idea a miss (given your position - can be a bit of a lively option!)........but something trailor sailor sized (open or with cuddy / cabin) will teach you a lot......and be cheap to buy, maintain and make mistakes on (we all make mistakes - with more experiance they get less frequent, but often bigger!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 03:26   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to get started

Hi... and Welcome to CF Newbe...
I did not see anything about physical or mental disabilities as a result of the accident.. ability to move with agility, reaction speeds, balance etc... but figure it must be something serious to preculde your ability to work at your profession even if only at a desk...
I don't know about the USA.. but in Europe/UK there are quite a few organisations that get the disabled sailing...
Sailing for People with Disabilities - Sailing for All
This was just a click away... try Google for a more area specific search...
All the best for 2012...

I should add that having worked for a Charity based RYA School in the UK that took on a wide range of kids and adults with multiple disabilities and got them sailing its awesome to see the kick they get out of their first solo... quite unique in that it was a floating liveaboard that housed 40+ pupils and staff also it was moored in a beautiful location, Salcombe on the S Coast UK.
Great people, friends and experiences..
I count that season as one of the more rewarding in my life...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 08:38   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

How come we're not hearing from Newbe???
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 08:40   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
How come we're not hearing from Newbe???
Maybe he's reading the thread and then carefully considering the contents before replying?

He'll learn
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote