Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-08-2015, 14:20   #31

Boat: Morgan 37 OI MkII
Re: How to choose the right dinghy?

Our third dinghy is our current 9L Caribe RIB powered with an 8 hp. It planes with we two, but not more. We treat it monthly with 303 and after 10 years it still looks almost new. No chaps. Stable enough to stand fishing. Only downside is transom difficult to mount wheels.

Old 21-08-2015, 14:27   #32

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafdream View Post
Does anyone like or use a portaboat? I like the concept but I have not heard any testimonials from the cruisers.
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF USAFDREAM!

I see you are relatively new here on the forum. Welcome.

The suggestion was made to do a forum search for relevant threads or discussions that mention the Porta Bote.
They can be folded up, and then stowed along the lifelines, like a kayak.

I suggest you read any of the various threads on this forum related to Porta-Botes and read the comments from the happy Porta-Bote owners in the many "dinghy" threads too.  The following link is from a very quick "Google Custom Search" I did today for you, to get you started.

NOTICE: The proper spelling of the product's name is "Porta-Bote." However, many people start threads and use variations of that such as: "Portaboat" and others.
http://www.porta-bote.com

Here is a quick Google Custom Search I did on September 21, 2015. You may want to do a more recent one if you are reading this long after that date.

Start HERE:
Porta Bote - Google Search

Also, since you are new to the forum, here is my favorite tip for newcomers here who may want to do some searching and research or have a lot of questions to ask:

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is VERY different from using the regular forum search box or field (which I never use because of poor search results). Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 14:32   #33

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Asking others on what kind of dinghy to purchase is like asking others on what kind of car to purchase. Depends on what you are looking for.

We have a WM compact 310 hypalon. This is our 3rd WM dinghy in 10 years. I wouldn't recommend a WM dinghy, but when ours did fall apart, it was replaced fully under warranty.

We like having a RIB with at least a 9hp engine to get on plane so that we can visit areas that we just wouldn't normally be able to get to. Even when we aren't cruising, we love using our dinghy to explore the area we are in.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 14:34   #34

Boat: SeaPearl 21

I am new to the forum but I know better. I just got lazy. I will do the search. Thanks.
Old 21-08-2015, 14:36   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF USAFDREAM!

I see you are relatively new here on the forum. Welcome.

The suggestion was made to do a forum search for relevant threads or discussions that mention the Porta Bote.
They can be folded up, and then stowed along the lifelines, like a kayak.

I suggest you read any of the various threads on this forum related to Porta-Botes and read the comments from the happy Porta-Bote owners in the many "dinghy" threads too.  The following link is from a very quick "Google Custom Search" I did today for you, to get you started.

Start HERE:
Porta Bote - Google Search

Also, since you are new to the forum, here is my favorite tip for newcomers here who may want to do some searching and research or have a lot of questions to ask:

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is VERY different from using the regular forum search box or field (which I never use because of poor search results). Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.
Huh? Something simple made difficult?
Old 21-08-2015, 14:42   #36

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbylinn View Post
We got rid of our air leaking Walker Bay 10' RIB that came with our boat we purchased back in 2010. The dinghy was up on the aft cabin of our 42' GB and we had to use the boom to put it up and down. No good for two pleasantly aging folks. We bit the bullet, and had a set of hydraulic (electric) Davits (Lester Davits out of Tampa, FL) installed on the transom (uses a key fob to raise and drop), and bought a 10' Bull Frog rigid tender with aluminum hull. We have a 15 HP 4-stroke Tohatsu on it. Yes it is heavier, but those who know it consider it the Sherman tank of dinghys. It will do about 20 to 21 mph with two people at top speed but cruises nicely and economically at around 15 to 16 mph. And... I never have to add air... The bottom can take any rocky or sandy beach you can throw at it.

Company is located in Washington State. They shipped it to us here in Mobile with some other boats coming this way by truck.
Can you give us an idea of how much you paid? Those look pretty spendy!
Old 21-08-2015, 14:54   #37

Boat: Bayfield 29C

I just bought a Zodiac Wave (made in France) from Defender; received it this week, so it's still early for a real review, but so far so good. You may want more dinghy than the Wave 275, but you could do worse. At least it's 'welded' in places where others are glued.

Can anyone say whether the 303 Protectant is good UV screen for a PVC inflatable? -thx
Old 21-08-2015, 15:13   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
What are they like to right if they flip? Not that I'm suggesting this happens often, but if it did...

On the question of how difficult it might be to right a capsized heavy RIB (or RBI), I suggest everyone view this short video that shows a yacht's RBI getting flipped at the surf on a very mild day (not with big waves). While this is a larger RIB, I think the lesson is clear. The capsize happens at about 1:40 in the video.

Key points I suggest everyone note:

1. The FIVE people who came ashore in the dinghy could NOT right the dinghy!

2. Notice the water surface conditions at 1:40 and at the point of the capsize. There was not large surf. The wind looks moderate and the water looks rather smooth to me. So, the conditions were not extreme.

My Main Point?
I think the weakest member of your crew who is going to use the dinghy should be able to right the dinghy if or when it capsizes on the shore or at surf line or when in the water.

Put another way, if I were in a couple (man and woman), I would want to make sure that my wife/spouse/partner/GF could right the dinghy by herself if it capsized at the shore or while she was in it, and would assume that this must be done while she is alone (without my aid).

RIB Capsizes in Mild Conditions Surf
Five people together could not right the dinghy.

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Old 21-08-2015, 15:17   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbylinn View Post
We got rid of our air leaking Walker Bay 10' RIB that came with our boat we purchased back in 2010. The dinghy was up on the aft cabin of our 42' GB and we had to use the boom to put it up and down. No good for two pleasantly aging folks. We bit the bullet, and had a set of hydraulic (electric) Davits (Lester Davits out of Tampa, FL) installed on the transom (uses a key fob to raise and drop), and bought a 10' Bull Frog rigid tender with aluminum hull. We have a 15 HP 4-stroke Tohatsu on it. Yes it is heavier, but those who know it consider it the Sherman tank of dinghys. It will do about 20 to 21 mph with two people at top speed but cruises nicely and economically at around 15 to 16 mph. And... I never have to add air... The bottom can take any rocky or sandy beach you can throw at it.

Company is located in Washington State. They shipped it to us here in Mobile with some other boats coming this way by truck.
That is an interesting design I had not seen before. It looks like a RIB but made of aluminum.

The 10 foot model weighs 225 pounds (according to mfc).

Here is a photo of the BullFrog 10ft dinghy (Aluminum):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bullfrog 10 ft 225 pounds ALUMINUM.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	107726  
Old 21-08-2015, 15:24   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Huh? Something simple made difficult?
Obviously we can all see things differently and some may find some things simple, while others may find the same thing difficult. Often, this is a matter of technique or method. I am sharing the method I find works best for me.

What do you see as "made difficult?"
Old 21-08-2015, 15:36   #41

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Obviously we can all see things differently and some may find some things simple, while others may find the same thing difficult.

What do you see as "made difficult?"
It might just be me. To much to much verbage for a simple problem.

My apologies if I was out of line.

to
Old 21-08-2015, 15:53   #42

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
On the question of how difficult it might be to right a capsized heavy RIB..............
My mis-spent youth includes an interlude of messing about with rotomoulded canoes in moderate surf. One instance of having the thing swallow a wave, spit us out, and then land on me has cured me of lack of respect for water in motion. Righting and bailing such narrow-beamed things while the Pacific was being friendly suggested to me that a RIB could easily turn into a nightmare; so much the more if it were really rough and miles from anywhere. We were young and strong back then...I'd rather take a hard sailing/rowing dinghy and the extra time taken to get anywhere, as long as a spill is fixable on the spot.
Old 21-08-2015, 16:40   #43

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
That is an interesting design I had not seen before. It looks like a RIB but made of aluminum.

The 10 foot model weighs 225 pounds (according to mfc).

Here is a photo of the BullFrog 10ft dinghy (Aluminum):
Only the hull and transom Aluminum.. The sides are roto molded UV plastic.

I really like it, but I think its spendy... It also needs some foam bumpers to avoid damaging boat sides..
Old 21-08-2015, 16:58   #44

Boat: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
How to choose the right dinghy?

I believe I paid about 2700 for it and negotiated shipping. Zero issues and must say that price has been worth it due to the rugged quality of the build. And I can stand on the side with very little tipping. There is one made in Florida called rigid boats I believe but seemed much more expensive. Probably need to call them for current pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-08-2015, 17:00   #45

Boat: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler

Oh, and right on needing some cushioning on sides. We carry two small fenders to compensate.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
dinghy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: