Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2015, 15:04   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: How Much is a Month Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I WANT to stop working this year at 55 and go cruising. So I haven't even been talking about what I want to do and am focusing on what I should do.

See what self control I have
None of us can tell you, only you know. If you are concerned about 10K, I would be concerned but that is just me. I've been to conservative. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face but maybe follow your heart.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 16:19   #62

If you are comfortable with your financial position you should move on to whatever it is that interests you. I left an easy, comfortable job as early as possible, age 50, and love it 17 years later. My company became employee owned some 5 years after I bailed and the remaining employees lost a lot, as much as 50%, of their IRAs, it could have doubled also. The only things I regret are those things that I have not tried (some others may have said that too).
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 17:06   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Don, September is, in my opinion, the best of all months to be cruising the East Coast. Will you have a few weeks of vacation that you can take prior to your resignation date? Ideally, heading out in mid-September puts you in pleasant Fall weather, and on the downhill side of the tropical storm season. I'd stick around a few months for $10K. July and August are usually hot, humid and relatively windless, on the Chesapeake anyway.
Or you could sail the boat south and return to work a bit then sail some more return home and repeat until you have your cake and you get to eat it too lest that's how us bullies think..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 17:42   #64

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Keep in mind that this ESOP money is an asset and gets passed to my wife/estate even if I kick the bucket and I believe this should be considered.

Btw - I would never consider $10k chump change.
It is most definitely not ''chump change''. For a few months work, I would not pass this up.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 21:27   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
It is most definitely not ''chump change''. For a few months work, I would not pass this up.
11 years from now... $10k will be "chump change."
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 02:57   #66

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

sailorboy1,

I'm sorry to say this, and regret if it sounds mean, but this is really your and your good lady's lives, and over the threads you've started the last few months, I'm starting to think "much talk, little do." This means to me, that you are feeling ambivalent. Neither choice is right or wrong, but you're getting close to the stop talking and start doing something place. Action may work best for you, mate, assuming that your wife is in agreement.

Ann
Old 28-03-2015, 07:45   #67
CLOD

Boat: none

Some of you should admit that you LOVE these threads. That's really the only explanation of how I am able to force you read and respond to them.
Old 28-03-2015, 07:47   #68
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

That $10k is in todays money. But you are more that welcome to send me the chump change in 11 years
Old 28-03-2015, 08:08   #69

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

There is never enough money. Ask a billionaire. If you take it easy you probably won't break things right away. Off you go sir! Looking forward to your comments as you go.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 14:00   #70

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

agree with Autumnbreeze27
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 14:25   #71

You are here for a short time and then dead for eternity and that is a very very long time. Go as soon as you can, in-case when you think you can afford to leave you are no longer able to. Two years ago the Doctor said "change your life because being the richest corps in the cemetry does you no good" fast forward two years and have been living aboard and cruising for 6 months now and I would not have missed any one of those days for any amount of money. Just do it as soon as you can, you can always change your mind in the future and go back if you want but that option may not be available in the future to go the other way.
Just my opinion.
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 14:42   #72

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You have that correct and at todays interest rates it still will be in 10 yrs. Inflation is out pacing interest. If 10K is important I am not sure a life onboard is the way to go? Sorry but life is a bitch. Maybe his staying on the hill and making money makes more sense?

I wish him luck!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 16:57   #73

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Yeah, life's a bitch, and then it ends.
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 19:13   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

There are factors that are known to influence our life expectancy eg current health, age, gender, obesity, smoking, high alcohol consumption, etc. Longevity of parents is also a consideration, although not a large one.

Now these are obviously only average figures based on the odds, but this calculator will give you some idea of how much time you may have left:
Life expectancy calculator

It is an interesting exercise to think "If I knew I had x years to live, given my current state of health and likely deterioration over that time, how would I most like to spend them?" Try it for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 years.

Sadly, given the age of most of us participating on CF 20-30 years is about the max we have and in addition we may die well before the "expected" age. The time left for activities that need reasonable health and physical abilities may in fact be frighteningly short. Actually focussing on this may help to inspire some drive to achieve our dreams before the years slip even further away.

This is not being morbid, just aware. Each year is extraordinarily precious. Spending another one working in a job you hate only to accumulate money and possessions that will essentially have little significant impact on your happiness is not sensible in my book.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 10:05   #75

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Now these are obviously only average figures based on the odds, but this calculator will give you some idea of how much time you may have left:
Life expectancy calculator
While that may tell expected lifetime, it says nothing about how long one is in good enough condition to be able to cruise. Surely, on average, # of potential cruising days left is always less than # of days left.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote