Old 27-03-2015, 05:09   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: How Much is a Month Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
...Next year the years could be easily worth $10,000 for the year to me (more than what I already have) AT AGE 65 (I'll be 56 next year). BUT to get I have to be an employee till the end of the program year, which ends on Sept 30, and I really wanted to leave earlier to see the East Coast of US as I head down to get out of the cold....
Don, September is, in my opinion, the best of all months to be cruising the East Coast. Will you have a few weeks of vacation that you can take prior to your resignation date? Ideally, heading out in mid-September puts you in pleasant Fall weather, and on the downhill side of the tropical storm season. I'd stick around a few months for $10K. July and August are usually hot, humid and relatively windless, on the Chesapeake anyway.
Old 27-03-2015, 05:14   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Don, September is, in my opinion, the best of all months to be cruising the East Coast.
Definitely! Why I wanted to start cruising in Sept and make it to Chesapeake in Oct.

But money talks and bull s**t walks!
Old 27-03-2015, 05:18   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd stick it out until the end of Sept myself, but as someone else said can you save your vacation up and go on vacation? Used to call it terminal leave in the Army, I was on terminal leave my last three months in myself.
If you can great, but even if you can't I'd start moving the boat South a little on weekends, or t least consider it.
You got everything else ready, house, cars sold all that kind of thing?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 06:12   #19
cruiser

You seem to be asking the Internet world for answers to personal questions that you should be discussing with only your wife. Is she onboard with the whole enchilada? Does she like her job and land based life?

You're both only going to be happy on the boat if the two of you agree on all the financial, family and job related stuff. The opinions of strangers is meaningless.

Sounds to me like it's time for the two of you to sit down for some quality one on one time, and figure out if cruising full time is what you really want to do. Or, is it only YOUR dream. Maybe another plan will work better, one with LESS stress.

I doubt if it's just me, but I always detect a high level of stress in all your posts.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 06:27   #20

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

My uncle was a corporate executive. Got MS at 57, couldn't walk by 60, died at 64. His kids are going on GREAT vacations now. He is not.

He is the main reason I am going to be giving up my prime earning years as an IT executive, and trading them for living years. Last kid heading to college next year.

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 07:34   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

It makes an interesting conversation, but I think it's unwise to seek financial or retirement advice on a boating forum.

If you have a financial advisor (professional), I would consult with him or her. If you don't, I suggest getting one. It's only after you're dead and gone that it can be determined what would have been the best plan, but professionals can tell you, based on your individual circumstances, what is likely the best plan.

You wouldn't ask a bunch of financial planners how to sail a boat so why ask a bunch of boaters how to deal with finances?
Old 27-03-2015, 07:48   #22
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The opinions of strangers is meaningless.
Some more than others! Especially if it involves making up psycho babble not related to the topic.
Old 27-03-2015, 07:52   #23
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It makes an interesting conversation, but I think it's unwise to seek financial or retirement advice on a boating forum.
Do you really think I would just follow ANY advise on a boating forum
Old 27-03-2015, 08:03   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You wouldn't ask a bunch of financial planners how to sail a boat so why ask a bunch of boaters how to deal with finances?

Because one assumes many have gone through it, and its free, nothing wrong with using others as a sounding board, but largely as there seem to be many that have successfully retired on this forum, why not?
The one or two financial planners I have spoken to in my life seem to be more interested in steering me towards plans that they get a "piece" of than actually ensuring I have the best retirement income.
But sure, if a financial planner had sailing experience, I'd ask them how to sail, doesn't mean I'd follow their advice, and I may not follow the financial advice I get here either.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 08:09   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Some more than others! Especially if it involves making up psycho babble not related to the topic.
'Guess I was right about the stress and hit a nerve.

Since this thread will be read by many others considering the all or nothing scenario regarding cruising, I'd like to add the comment that my wife and I are 100% on the same page with regards to personal finance and lifestyle choices. Maybe this is why it's (marriage and cruising) has been working out so well. 35 years of marriage and 6 years of cruising. Compromises needed to be made, it was never an all or nothing venture.

Mrs. Kenomac came up with the original idea of owning another boat large enough to live on for extended periods of time, we decided on the type and model of boat together for both the Hunter and the Oyster. And now, the length of the cruising season has also been a mutual agreement. 5-6 months on the water and 6 months of working full time till age 62, so that SHE can retain and retire from her full time job that SHE enjoys. A plan we can both live with and enjoy.

What does Mrs. Sailorboy think about all of this? What's a month worth to her?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 08:11   #26
CLOD

currently out of posts that answered the question without putting a "but" or "if" in so that if became a non-answer:

3 would go early and not get the money
3 would wait and get the money
Old 27-03-2015, 08:14   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Much is a Month Worth

Quote:
Do you really think I would just follow ANY advise on a boating forum
Naah...your just trying to beat me for 'Top Spot'.. the most posts about nothing.. and rising..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 08:19   #28

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Imagine you get diagnosed with cancer in 2 years. You would regret every day wasted at work. There is always more money, but our lives are limited.

Be thankful you have your health, skills, and a boat to make your trip possible, and don't waste the opportunity "waiting" for a few more dollars. There will never be enough $$$ saved up...just go. Live frugal, it will be more rewarding.

In looking for a boat to buy, I've seen too many that were all ready to go, but never did because of illness, cancer, Alzheimer's, or sudden death.

Have a great trip.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 08:27   #29
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Imagine you get diagnosed with cancer in 2 years. You would regret every day wasted at work. There is always more money, but our lives are limited.
Well this is kind of thread drift, but:

Imagine you get diagnosed with cancer in 2 years and die and leave your wife behind. You would regret that you traded a couple months of personal cruising for her added financial security.

There's no winning answer when playing the death game unless you have a known checkout date way in advance.
Old 27-03-2015, 08:30   #30

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Whatever you decide I wish you well, many healthy years and pleasant cruising.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote