Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 16:32   #46

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Re: How many have sailed offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny2 View Post
its not about us have u ever left the dock-I have more time sleeping on the ocean than most people will EVER have on a boat

Oh yes I've built the busts I sleep on, on the ocean. My point is so many criticize and comment and gave never crossed an ocean or gave even been off shore

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 16:45   #47

Wink Re: How many have sailed offshore

I'm still smelling salt in my nostrils even though I'm grounded in Flora, Indiana. I've crossed Oceans but on nothing smaller than 160 Feet.I've worked as every rating(OS,AB,Mate,Capt) on every kind of Oil Field and Seismic research vessel there is. I've even worked as an unlicensed Engineer. I've held a Masters Lic (USCG) 3000 GrTn's (Upon Oceans) and every endorsement required (22 yrs on The water). In a few weeks I'll be 65 and if my health was'nt so poor I'd beg borrow or pay for a ride in the deep water. If any one would take me. You'll never see a Sun Rise like the one that happen this morning nor will you ever see a sunset that will take place tonight. It's one of the noisest places on earth yet surrounded by a silence that's immeasurable. It the one Place on Earth that you don't have to climb a mountain to look into the face of GOD while you worship. If you want to get any closer you'll have to climb the mast. It's something that lives inside you.
I'm ready to go.
sailor49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 16:52   #48

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor49 View Post
...If you want to get any closer you'll have to climb the mast. It's something that lives inside you...
That pick-up line has never worked for me!
Old 06-04-2014, 17:05   #49

Boat: Cornado 25

Two kids and me... They started at 5 and 7 years old, and have better than 20,000 miles under their keels. (Course they are grown now, and both live inland... go figure) Stuff happens out there. After better than 40 years, I still get a pucker factor everytime I head out past the C-buoy.

They are all small boats once you are into the oceans.
Old 06-04-2014, 17:36   #50

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

For never being out except on a charter fishing boat. I doubt it was 5 miles from shore may of been 10. It did take over a hour maybe 2 to get back in the bay.

I have tho my miles right now is on land with over 1 million driven in a tractor trailer. Touching 47 out of the 48 states, Mexico, and Canada. In the next few years I am now focusing away from land to lay my miles and to mark where else I can go. Im proud to have been the last of the cowboys on the highways.

Have you thanked your local truck driver who has brought to you all the stuff you have now?

Edit: spelling error on fishing
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 22:21   #51

Boat: Moody 425

I have never been out 200nm. Have done alot of miles coastal, and alot of miles coastal with my young daughter( now 3) but yes I do get that the stakes change "out there".

Are there really dragons??? Cause that would be cool.

I am unsure how other than doing it, I can change my experience level much. In the interim, I try to do what I can to have a well-prepared boat and to learn as much as I can from those that have ( when they are no busy arguing amongst themselves ).

Some of the most experienced here, interestingly seem to be the last to judge or tut tut.
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 22:59   #52

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

More popcorn, please... every one who has sailed blue water that you fall off the edge just passed the 600 fathom line. This is a fun thread to follow...
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 00:32   #53

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb

hey there sailor
been out the 200 mile mark,,, x merchant seaman here.engineer...love it...nice a quite out there in the middle of the ocean....me and god..and the stars at night....have a good day and be safe when you sail....
pdjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 00:48   #54

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

So yeah, Ann and I have thousands of offshore miles and years. So what? I think that it is pretty easy to tell from posts just how experienced the poster is, and further, that experience does not always lead to good advice for newbies.

So, just what is the point of the thread?

Jim
Old 07-04-2014, 02:22   #55

Boat: H28

I think that the point, or perhaps the inference in this thread is that if you have sailed offshore then you are one of the 'elite'.
Ive crossed a couple of oceans single handed and whilst it would be nice to think of myself as another Slocum, the fact is that I am a timid sailor and not particularly skilful. I take my hat off to those who undertake coastal passages in difficult waters producing confused seas, contrary currents, shifting unpredictable winds, tidal outfalls, rocks, shoals etc etc. By comparison the ocean is easy. Our just completed sailing holiday in the NZ summer was marred by frequent fast moving fronts. I have lost count of the number of times we anchored, for example, close in to shelter from a strengthening northerly only to have it go to the south West in the middle of the night and rise to 35 knots. Its no fun trying to exit a tight little bay along with twenty other boats in close proximity when an anchorage becomes untenable. Under those circumstances I'd rather be 200miles out, any day. If you are a competent coastal sailor then perhaps the only additional skill you need to master to sail offshore is the ability to handle boredom for extended periods of time.
Chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:14   #56

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc View Post
I think that the point, or perhaps the inference in this thread is that if you have sailed offshore then you are one of the 'elite'..

I have to say that I do not see it quite that way. While there is some chest beating going on, it seems that the topic started due to intelligent posting equating to vast experience. At least the impression of it.

I have some expertise but not so much as a sailor nor even a seaman. Mine is in the equipment and building techniques in commercial vessels.

As to offshore vs coastal dangers, there is no denying that coastal sailing is much more hazardous. Give me room to run or batten down in deep water when the weather kicks up.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:19   #57
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

remind me, the point to this thread is........

dave
Old 07-04-2014, 08:25   #58

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

One round-trip passage to Bermuda and several long coastwise ocean voyages for me.

(In my old 45' cutter, BTW, not my current 19' catboat!)
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:51   #59

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

atlantic crossing in 2013 plus a bunch of other stuff of the 5-6 day variety -- all with a 2 person crew -- we never take on crew

which is why i did not comment on rebel heart thread -- no reason to spectulate until eric tells all what happened -- waste of band width

will say to some - when in trini getting ready to leave a dutch boat (i think dutch) came into the marina with 2 small kids 2-4 (3-5 something like that) and mom and dad -- about 10 days out of trini they had power issues and could not charge batteries so no auto pilot -- the 2 of them hand steered for into trini -- we got to know them pretty well as son was visiting and he is electrial eng and helped the dad take apart both of his alternators to find out why they failed -- great family and great sailors who knew how to handle a difficult issue in stride
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:50   #60

Ocean / blue water sailing = long periods of tedium punctuated by episodes of terror.

Although I really like the night watch on Vic Maui returns because you can get great views of Perseid meteor shower. We run two person watches. When I am off the helm I lay back and scan the sky.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore, sail