Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-04-2014, 23:25   #31

Boat: Baltic 38DP
Re: How many have sailed offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I don't think you should artificially limit offshore to be 200 miles from a shoreline. An 800 nm long trip down from Victoria to San Francisco is usually done 60 miles off the foul, lee shore. Very much an offshore trip, in my opinion
There is offshore sailing, and ocean sailing. A good definition of the difference between the two is whether a helicopter can reach you or not. Which means around 200 nm from the shoreline. I do think everything changes when you can't be helped within a few hours anymore.

I haven't done it yet, but will in the first week of June. Very excited.

Onno

Old 06-04-2014, 06:36   #32

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon

About 75000 miles inc a circumnav and both the capes. Some racing, most cruising.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:43   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37

I think a subtle point has been missed here. Even the hoary old shellbacks left for a long distance trip without any experience when they started.

It is much more complex than a simple yes/no. Someone who has never had the experience, but has researched the subject thoroughly, MAY be a better skipper than someone who wings it all the time.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:50   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Actually, on the other thread, you told us we could only listen to you. Remember? Need a link?

Boatguy has a right to post his opinions. If you don't like them, put him on ignore.

Yea I could use that link. I have no issue with this thread. I just think boatguy30s repeated "I told you so's" is pretty tasteless when rebel isn't even onshore yet. Maybe wait till he's back on forum to tell him how much wiser you are. It just anti-supportive. If the kid had not come down I'll he'd still be on his way, it's not like weather kicked his ass.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12   #35
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Post 213
Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:36   #36

Boat: Seafarer 38C

Lots of good stuff here, do not underestimate the great lakes sailors, If any of you are old(er) like me you may remember Ted Turner coming to Lake Michigan to compete in the Mac Race, His comment that he was going to show the lake sailors how the Big boys do it, He got his Arse handed to him tore up thousands of dollars in sails and did miserable. WE LAUGHED.
I have raced in the St Petersburg to Isla Mujeres 6 or 7 times, the little pond Gulf of Mexico, has beat up many boats during that race. When you are in a restricted body of water, the wave conditions can put you and the boat to THE test. The ocean can be and often is easier to deal with. Any sailing experience is good experience, no matter bad the experience may be at the time.. SAIL ON
Old 06-04-2014, 14:07   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Coastal sailing is indeed more dangerous than open ocean sailing. The big difference is how far away is help. Coastal sailing usually involves the ability to bail out and seek the nearest harbor or easy rescue via helicopter. Once you are out past 200 miles or so, an easy out is no longer a possibility. You pretty much have to hope that no serious medical emergency requiring immediate attention or catastrophic boat failure doesn't happen. Either you accept these risks or stay snugly tied up at the dock making occasional short jaunts to the nearest safe port/anchorage.

The only reason #1 son doesn't have a lot of sea miles post partum is we decided for monetary reasons to return to civilization when my wife became pregnant. Still sailed from Tahiti to Hawaii when she was in her 6th month. Made that passage long before GPS or other electronic aids and air to air refueling of helicopters was widely available, if available at all. Did have a ham radio with my pirate call sign. It was a risk making the passage but wife didn't want to make the trip having to care for a new born.

As far as sailing with kids, think it's a great opportunity. The few families we met were having a great time though not without some trauma. One girl died from complications of ciguatera poisoning. One kid, at least, changed from being a totally spoiled dick head, he hid his Grandmothers false teeth and didn't admit to it till she left the boat, to a very capable and accomplished student of the marine environment and pleasant young person to have around. Another became fluent in Tahitian and French during a years sojourn in the Societies and max'd out on testing when they eventually returned to marina life.

You can either go sailing with the experience and boat that you have or possibly die before you accrue the 'necessary' experience and pecuniary wherewithal that some people think are required. Breathing is a serious health risk. For many of us not born with a silver spoon or get 'lucky' making money, we have to just go out and do it despite the risk.
Old 06-04-2014, 14:59   #38

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Not sailing, but have taken many small fishing(40'to45') vessels past the 200 mile mark.
Old 06-04-2014, 14:59   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
In what way?

I have ocean voyaged.

I have young children

I realized earlier on the two do not mix for most people especially on yachts too small to carry at least one extra crew member.

That's the point I'm trying to make. Regardless of all the "experience of the skipper" (hopping down the coast from San Diego?) the responsible thing to do would have been to he'd further south and hop off for the Galapagos. When things went to **** on day 3 or so it would be easy enough to swing back for Central America or mainland Equador.

You see, I've been there seen my wife struggle seen others wife's and families struggle. Seen all the boats listed and sold when arrived in New Zealand. Wifes pissed husbands heart broken, etc, ect

Anyway, that's my story. Better to wait a few year sell that boat prior to departing the Caribbean. Make a few bucks on some real estate deals and go when the kids are ready.

I tried to warn him.....
I crewed over 20-25 thousand ocean miles. I saw many cruisers with small children. Happy, healthy, sparkling eyes. You just cannot compare a life with parents always around, exploring, the sights and sounds of the ocean, to a life inland or even sitting in a marina. No matter the size, it's just better, period.

My favorite boat kid was 3. He was aboard a wooden vessel that had sailed from California, around the pacific, and into the Caribbean. He was born on that boat. It leaked, it was not a big pristine yacht. But those kids(he had two sisters) were awesome. Mac, the 3 year old took to me instantly, he was a charmer, and was extremely smart for his age. Vocabulary was off the charts. I met Mac and his family while in Guatemala. I had started a small day care at Mario's marina's Gazebo so parents could get some work done or have some alone time. I was just 23 or 24 and was between boat deliveries. Anyways, some days I had 6-7 little ones 2-5 years old, plus some older kids who just like hanging out with us. May of these kids had more miles than me. Out of all the kids I've met, only one was fearful and I think had some social/emotional issues.

Sorry this is long winded, hopefully not too convoluted reply. I just think Eric and Charlotte did nothing wrong. The doctor cleared the baby for the trip. There are good days and bad days on land and off shore. They had a very bad day.

Boatguy30, saying I told ya so just doesn't fly. You think Eric and Charlotte did not think long and hard about this trip? You think your advice was not considered? I guarantee they spent more time and energy on planning a safe trip for their kids then your five minute lectures. ( I hope I don't sound rude, i don't mean to be)

Erika
Old 06-04-2014, 16:53   #40

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: How many have sailed offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Ho, Ho, Ho... pass the popcorn...
Yes indeed. I'll take the big tub. And a Bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I think this is definitely a "see how long yours is" type of debate. I would rather sail 200 miles offshore than 2 miles from the breakers on the Washington/Oregon coast. The water won't kill my boat, the rocks definitely will...
+20,000 leagues.

Not counting racing, all my little misadventures except one have been in small boats solo. Always underfunded, ill-equipped, no frills, no engine, and no way to call for help. Scary and satisfying at the same time. All my boats together costs less than the electronics for some of you real seafarers.

One of my boats, an Able 20, was named Tahiti Tom. The Ts were palm trees. That was as close as I got.
Old 06-04-2014, 16:59   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
You still just have to get another jab in, your so convinced that your right and it's the only way. Just put a cork in it and stop. Your the master mariner and we all should only listen to only you .
Speaking of "Put a cork in it"...
Old 06-04-2014, 17:10   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I prefer a nice Cabernet with popcorn.
Always thought I was being a redneck for that preference until Andrea Immer Robinson said she liked the same thing.

Andrea Immer wine expert - Bing

BTW 3 trips down the West coast. First time nearly 200 miles off at one point.
Old 06-04-2014, 17:21   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Not counting racing, all my little misadventures except one have been in small boats solo. Always underfunded, ill-equipped, no frills, no engine, and no way to call for help. Scary and satisfying at the same time. All my boats together costs less than the electronics for some of you real seafarers.
If the only requirement is that you cannot call for/or get help, then those of us with only VHF meet your requirement every time we are 20 miles or so offshore.
Blue Crab sails some flotsam off shore and yet he's not a real blue water? Hate to tell you, but I would pick him for crew long before someone who has sailed their 50 ft catamaran with everything down the trade winds and back. Miles do tend to stick to good sailors, but how many miles offshore? Please.
And there's the dilemma- there are so many types of sailing, and so many different conditions that you can't say X is a good sailor because he has gone so many miles offshore. A good sailor is one has experience enough to sail in the conditions that he is in, and can get out of trouble that he occasionally runs into. Its not miles, its not what they look like or even how strong they are.

Here's a picture of one of my favorite sailors. He stays out of conditions that he's not comfortable with (with his grandpa's help)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	438.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	78909  
Old 06-04-2014, 17:30   #44
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I saw many cruisers with small children. Happy, healthy, sparkling eyes. You just cannot compare a life with parents always around, exploring, the sights and sounds of the ocean, to a life inland or even sitting in a marina. No matter the size, it's just better, period.

Erika
This statement really should have an IMO because otherwise I have to call BS on it. My kids have led a different, very full life so far and to make this statement disrespects them and us as parents. Quite honestly, did you even think before typing it?

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 17:30   #45

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: How many have sailed offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I prefer a nice Cabernet with popcorn.
Always thought I was being a redneck for that preference until Andrea Immer Robinson said she liked the same thing...
Being a redneck means thinking Cabernet rhymes with internet!

Tags
offshore, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: