Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2014, 09:58   #241

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

15,000 nm and counting - Washington state to Mexico to South Pacific. Sold boat in New Zealand to Australians. Boat now in Turkey so still going strong (Whitby 42). Just bought new 1981 Goldenwave 42 to start over again.

My experience - tons of people out there, many multiple times, and/or just do it all the time (literally). Percentage of population is small but hundreds out at any given time. Some go out a hundred miles and hang it up. Some hang it up after going to Mexico and hating it, or the spouse hates it, or they run out of money, or they get bored, or don't like boat maintenance and fixing the boat.

We loved it 99% of the time. Don't have any fear of going out but have tons of respect for Mother Nature. Not for everyone but it is for many. There are tons of armchair sailors though, and many are free to give "expert" advice, and in a way it is hard to tell unless you ask them point blank. Many of the best and longest cruisers don't bother with websites like this. In Anacortes you run into current and ex sailors, many who rounded this planet, and many more who have only gone to Mexico and/or Alaska. Both of those are "coastal" cruising but respectable voyages in their own right. Being 1000nm out is definitely a game changer though. We loved it but weren't sure until we actually did it. You won't either.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 13:22   #242

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Just over 2,000 NM in salt water on two Atlantic deliveries and an RYA course. Neptune knows how many more I've done sailing around freshwater Lake Ontario, but it's a bigger number.

Can't wait to cross the Atlantic on my own keel.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 19:12   #243

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Yep... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 13:41   #244

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

While my distances sailing solo do not by any means compare to his, I share Slocum's habit of setting the sails and letting the vessel sail herself while I read or do chores.
Old 28-07-2014, 16:51   #245

Boat: O'Day 28
Thumbs down Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

This has been a troublesome thread. The OP meant to embarrass the critics of Rebel Heart's voyage. Not sure if it worked out for him satisfaction-wise. Don't really get why he bothered. You sail or ya don't. Who cares?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 01:00   #246

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Yes

We are shell backs and have 80,000 nms under the keel. 9000 miles to windward when we sailed from Australia to Alaska better than the down wind run back as there were no settled trades.

Nearly 19 years aboard. Sapient Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:01   #247

Boat: ?

220..maybe 230 nautical miles was the furthest I got offshore during my lone passage so far (roughly 800 NM total)
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore, sail