Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 06:41   #196
Registered User
 
SimonV's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,316
Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

I have exceeded 200nm a few times. But the gist of the OPs is who are the ones making the most noise baging those that get out there and sail for travel. What i do know is look at the profile posted by the critics......guess what most have little if any information listed. No boat type. No experience . No idea. You can quote from books all you like using and quoting picked ideas that some well know respected sailor then using one persons experience (not you own) as ammunition to put down some very experienced and great people that deserve better than your misplaced pernicious comments.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Simon

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:08   #197
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I have exceeded 200nm a few times. But the gist of the OPs is who are the ones making the most noise baging those that get out there and sail for travel. What i do know is look at the profile posted by the critics......guess what most have little if any information listed. No boat type. No experience . No idea. You can quote from books all you like using and quoting picked ideas that some well know respected sailor then using one persons experience (not you own) as ammunition to put down some very experienced and great people that deserve better than your misplaced pernicious comments.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
HI Simon
I know I can be a bit thick, so I read your post a couple of times.
Sadly I still dont understand the thrust of your comment or observation.
Would you mind explaining it to me?
Gary.
__________________

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 09:13   #198
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Thailand
Posts: 215
Images: 3
Re: How many have sailed offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Doug View Post
Lots of good stuff here, do not underestimate the great lakes sailors, If any of you are old(er) like me you may remember Ted Turner coming to Lake Michigan to compete in the Mac Race, His comment that he was going to show the lake sailors how the Big boys do it, He got his Arse handed to him tore up thousands of dollars in sails and did miserable. WE LAUGHED.
I have raced in the St Petersburg to Isla Mujeres 6 or 7 times, the little pond Gulf of Mexico, has beat up many boats during that race. When you are in a restricted body of water, the wave conditions can put you and the boat to THE test. The ocean can be and often is easier to deal with. Any sailing experience is good experience, no matter bad the experience may be at the time.. SAIL ON
Lake michigan is very dangerous. Storms come from nowhere. Turning thw clock back 35 years. During the MAC race a storm came from nowhere 2 mac racing boats ended up sinking and the coastguard was overloaded with rescues. We ended up 100nm off course some damage to the boat. I remember sitting down then felt the boat start to roll I looked to my right and all I saw was water. Captain dad saved it 14 hours of fun. Ive been up and down the Mississippi, the ICW all of the great lakes, canada to the bahamas the gulf of mexico panama to Hawaii then California and back up to lake michigan. Been in plenty of bad storms that one was memorable because the waves were 18+ ft and close together not more than 3 seconds before dropping down the back side to heading up the face of the next wave.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it!
captainbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 10:13   #199
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: How many have sailed offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
Lake michigan is very dangerous. Storms come from nowhere. Turning thw clock back 35 years. During the MAC race a storm came from nowhere 2 mac racing boats ended up sinking and the coastguard was overloaded with rescues. We ended up 100nm off course some damage to the boat. I remember sitting down then felt the boat start to roll I looked to my right and all I saw was water. Captain dad saved it 14 hours of fun. Ive been up and down the Mississippi, the ICW all of the great lakes, canada to the bahamas the gulf of mexico panama to Hawaii then California and back up to lake michigan. Been in plenty of bad storms that one was memorable because the waves were 18+ ft and close together not more than 3 seconds before dropping down the back side to heading up the face of the next wave.
But Captain,
You were not 200 miles off shore! The weather couldn't have been that bad! The worst confused seas, large waves and gale I have ever encountered were just off Cape Flattery- within sight of a bare rock shoreline....
So see OP, the best sailors are tested close to shore, ask anyone who has sailed around England. But I agree that miles on passage seem to show experienced sailors.
__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 10:39   #200
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

This area below in North West England will make a sailor of you. Intensely tidal. Ive sailed in 40 foot of water and then watched all the water disappear from underneath me in 30 seconds and Ive hit the bottom! It warrants reading the charts carefully.
Anyone who can master the Bay is a sailor.......
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 11:28   #201
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,826
Images: 2
Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

Errr... If you wan't to brag with storms and maelstroms instead why not to start new thread on that subject
I stay away from there becouse the worst weather I've been was hardly f10 with 30' waves, kind of gale but loooong waves. :P
__________________
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 11:31   #202
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Errr... If you wan't to brag with storms and maelstroms instead why not to start new thread on that subject
I stay away from there becouse the worst weather I've been was hardly f10 with 30' waves, kind of gale but loooong waves. :P
brag?
I never said I mastered it. I pointed out the veracity of newts post. Sheesh!
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 13:49   #203
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

Thanks Weavis- the point is, which any sailor would know in a second, is that we don't fear the water (I respect the water!!), we fear the land-water interface. Quickly changing conditions occur in bays and around points. I will make sure and avoid that bay when I come over the puddle.
__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 13:58   #204
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Thanks Weavis- the point is, which any sailor would know in a second, is that we don't fear the water (I respect the water!!), we fear the land-water interface. Quickly changing conditions occur in bays and around points. I will make sure and avoid that bay when I come over the puddle.
s'alright Mr newt.
The grey bits on the edge, is how far the tide ranges and built up mud....... and in storms you can lose the middle... I was careful to sail up the bay ONLY with locals who knew it well in all its moods...... I slammed a yacht and a power boat there..... when it changed from nice to nasty in 15 minutes. IT can be gentle as anything ..... and then not.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 15:23   #205
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
s'alright Mr newt.
The grey bits on the edge, is how far the tide ranges and built up mud....... and in storms you can lose the middle... I was careful to sail up the bay ONLY with locals who knew it well in all its moods...... I slammed a yacht and a power boat there..... when it changed from nice to nasty in 15 minutes. IT can be gentle as anything ..... and then not.
Nice avatar. How did you get your head through the cloth? Must have been rough that day.
__________________
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 15:39   #206
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Nice avatar. How did you get your head through the cloth? Must have been rough that day.
Rough everyday in my job
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 06:12   #207
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: ow heading north
Boat: 28m Steel Tug - two in tow
Posts: 77
Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Are you cruising or working?? Professionals have a somewhat unfair advantage here on CruisersForum. It is like you and I comparing the number of heat transfer problems we have each solved.
Working right now. Have two drill rigs in tow to Africa. Be there in 18 days.
Used to work in the GL with my brothers on fish tugs. Miss the sweet water and my Frers.
__________________
Capt Bert Q
taking some time off - Falkland Islands
reefhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 06:15   #208
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: ow heading north
Boat: 28m Steel Tug - two in tow
Posts: 77
Re: How many have sailed offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
But Captain,
You were not 200 miles off shore! The weather couldn't have been that bad!
You wanna bet? I've seen what Lake Superior can do to large ships - remember the Fitz! Lake Michigan can be worse at times. There are plenty of large schooners sitting on the bottom. I never underestimated the power of the GL - esp in Nov and May!
__________________
Capt Bert Q
taking some time off - Falkland Islands
reefhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 06:17   #209
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: ow heading north
Boat: 28m Steel Tug - two in tow
Posts: 77
Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Do tacks on deck really repel the natives?
Tacks and what natives? I'm a native - Anishinabe/Inuit/Cree - depending on which family member you ask. With our ship - M1 Garands and M14's rule, 10ga shotguns to repel boarders.
__________________
Capt Bert Q
taking some time off - Falkland Islands
reefhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 06:37   #210
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: How Many Have Sailed Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefhunter View Post
Tacks and what natives? I'm a native - Anishinabe/Inuit/Cree - depending on which family member you ask. With our ship - M1 Garands and M14's rule, 10ga shotguns to repel boarders.

.357 here loaded with snakeshot fer pythons. Dang! I love gun gab. Maybe there's hope fer this thread yet.
__________________

__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
offshore, sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the best place you have sailed to so far? Nostrodamus General Sailing Forum 6 29-04-2012 06:32
Hello from Texas..Never have sailed tquerin Meets & Greets 11 27-02-2009 10:33
How many have a retirement fund setup? How many think you need one? WannaBeTraveln Liveaboard's Forum 164 23-11-2008 16:05



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.