Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2019, 08:40   #1

Hitchhiking a boat

Hello lovely people,

Me and my friends have some bucket listing to check and it turned out that we're very keen on the idea to cross the Atlantic from the Canaries. We have no sailing experience but we're healthy, diligent, strong physically and mentally young men that are really quick learners. We watched some videos of people doing exactly this by going to Las Palmas' marina and asking around for a boat to get them to the Caribbean.

Could someone be so kind and shed some light on how to do this properly? We're aware of the risks, discomforts, etc. What we do not know is how would you approach this situation, what gear we need to have prior to going to Las Palmas and most importantly what would be the cost of this?

I know that ARC and ARC+ sailors pay a fee to participate and if they want to share this fee it would probably be better to look for a boat that's just crossing the pond without participating in the event.

Any opinions would be very helpful! Thanks in advance!
MarioVarbanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 07:44   #2

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: Hitchhiking a boat

I'd post it under a "looking for crew," or "looking for passage - can chip in costs" thread. Give a fair amount of detail about who you are, age, background, and time availability, and odds are pretty good you will be able to find something. Good luck-
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat