Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 15:34   #16

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Re: Hi, there. Long-time listener, first-time caller.

Congrats Man! Convincing the wife is EVERYTHING. One thing you might consider is looking up the Bluewater Sailing School in Florida (I have no affiliation with them) and booking a class with them (or someone similar) where you get to actually cruise for several days offshore on a mono or multi-hull vessel. The prices are reasonable at least I thought they were. You then get an ASA sailing cert that you can then charter a boat on your own in the future. Make sure you do it when the weather is good
Good Luck!
Old 23-02-2015, 17:28   #17

Boat: Tartan 3700 CCR

I suggest that you and your wife take some weekend trips and take some learn to sail courses. To give you a frame work for what u will see at the boats how you need some on the water experience. Lots of seaside towns like boston, annapolis newport Miami or even cities on fresh water... Cleveland, Chicago, Pittsburgh have sailing schools.
Start training on a 20-24 ft sailboat, move up to a weekend live aboard course maybe on a 38 ft boat with an instructor and another couple. Get a sense of how much boat you want. When you think you are ready, charter a boat- with or without a captain - and spend a week sailing , sleeping, cooking, docking, anchoring, man over board drills etc. it is great that you and your wife are both interested and positive. You may also find your kids are going to want to sail with you so plan for space for them !
DougAnnapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 02:00   #18

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Don't bore her with detail and make sure you have some "couple" time. Like dinner someplace nice. Try to be interested in what she's interested in. On the trip down to the show, talk to her and find out what questions she may have about it - this should give yo a hint. PS. is there any way your youngest can get that diploma a bit sooner?
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 10:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardean View Post
Don't bore her with detail and make sure you have some "couple" time. Like dinner someplace nice. Try to be interested in what she's interested in. On the trip down to the show, talk to her and find out what questions she may have about it - this should give yo a hint. PS. is there any way your youngest can get that diploma a bit sooner?
You betcha. I'm thinking the three-year plan through college would be most outstanding. My daughter is already in college and she might be able to pull it off.
cpg35223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 11:21   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Free classes and seminars the boat shows are often a great way to get information from non-vendors and to make connections. Get the schedule, see what's available and get there EARLY to make sure you get in. The first day is usually a "VIP" extra-cost day, but can be well worth missing some of the crowds.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:36   #21

The update.

Had a GREAT time at the ABS. While not as large as the Fall show (It's only be going for a few years), we met lots of cruisers and would-be cruisers. So now my wife thinks we're not so crazy after all.

She actually signed us for a day at Cruisers University, which answered a lot of her questions. Now she's totally on board. She's already wanting me to take a Nav class, etc., while I'll be signing her up for basic keelboat.

Question for you guys who are A LOT more advanced than we are. How helpful was the full slate of seminars when you first started. I know that some of you grew up on the water, so it's second nature. But what about the rest of us?
cpg35223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:36   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I don't know those exact seminars, but in the worst case?

At least they'll confirm that you already know what you know, and that it's right. And perhaps give you some contacts with others, and directions to find out more.

So if you're not sure, I'd say go for it, then you WILL at least be sure, and that translates into peace of mind--a great thing to have while sailing.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal