Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-09-2016, 04:52   #46

Re: Hi all, First Post. What boat should I get?

Good morning from Florida! I am in a somewhat similar situation as you, except a few levels lower. At 47, I recently sold an investment warehouse, and still have a few residential and 2 commercial properties that I will try to sell over the next 3-5 years before the real estate market blows up again. My 2 kids are 15 & 17, so both will be off to college in 3 years with funds already set aside.

Although I currenty own 2 boats, a Mastercraft (for freshwater)and a Proline(for saltwater) for diving and fishing, I dont have any real sailing experience. I have been certified in scuba since the early 90's and regularly spearfish and go fishing off shore 20 miles or so and in the keys every year.

Here is my plan so far. I say that because it has changed and keeps evolving

1. Going to buy a sailboat in the 27-32 ft to learn on. I found an older 27' Catalina that seems to be taken care of and im going to go look at it this weekend. It is under $15k, and it is big enough for my family to stay on over night and learn this stuff without breaking the bank if things dont work out.

2. If we like the lifestyle for the next few years, we will be upgrading in 2-5 years to something in the 38'-42' range to cruise the carribean semi-retired. I also like the Beneteau boats, especially after watching la Vagabonde videos, and found a great deal on a project Beneteau here in FL. If I wasnt married, I probably would have already wrote a check for it, but it's a lot bigger and still needs a lot of work and I feel I would be over my head with restoration vs getting out on the water.

3. Get everything sold and learn to sail around FL over the next 3 years. Maybe even take an ASA course as well next year. In fact, if you want to come to FL, we can try to take it at the same time. Get certified in scuba and ill take you diving while you are here. Make sure you are going to like diving, some people dont care for it after they get certified. I have outfitted my entire family with good 2nd hand gear from people that decided it wasn't for them.

Anyway good luck in your endeavors and if you want more info on FL, scuba, etc. Feel free to reach out.

Also if any one has suggestions, I'm open to it!

Byrdman

Old 29-09-2016, 05:49   #47

With the money that you have - the only thing you can't buy is time.

Learn how to sail. Find out what you like and don't like.

If you want slow and steady but with plenty of space for tools and sensible access to things - my dream boat would be a Sirius 35 - if you like speed, XC38 or Arcona 380.

Picking up internships on land will teach you how to work very slowly in comfort and do very little for you out in the ocean, and will just become an excuse re "I'm not ready yet" "I'll want to finish this project first" - I can't emphasize this enough as someone who is waiting for the inevitable, go now.

Old 30-09-2016, 08:34   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I guess that's good news, fiscally, so good onya.

So, have you done any sailing at all yet? What has happened in the months since you first posted?

Getting time on the water, under sail, is so much more important than any other factor in accumulating the knowledge base you need... I sure hope that you have used the summer months to get started down this path.

Getting involved with the restoration company is ok, but with your hands on background I don't think boat maintenance will be your downfall. But buying a big and expensive boat with little or no sailing experience is just a bad idea... for you and for all the other sailors in the area. Heed the repeated advice to get a learner boat, whether dinghy or smaller keel boat and get sailing, hopefully with your child on board (or in that other Laser, beating you to the windward mark and laughing like hell).

Let us know how it is going, mate!

Jim
I have sailed on a few small inner lakers out on the bay. Cost for the day was beer and provisions.

I went on an extended weekend on a 50 foot motor yacht. Planing across the water on that thing was amazing. The $2000 dollars for the weekend for gas, not so much. I could really easily see my self traveling on something like that if money was unlimited.

All that summer camp inner-lake sailing came right back, like riding a bike.

I have my eye on an innerlake cat for sailing next summer.

I really have to finish my current project before I sell out and go.

The dream is still alive... 50ish sailing books in... Hours of video. I may retire early yet.

Oh... with a cousin, tried handline fishing. Ouch Delos makes it look easy.

I have the beer drinking down, no more practice needed there, I am pro.

Crew down for world travel seems not at all difficult.
Old 30-09-2016, 08:46   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
With the money that you have - the only thing you can't buy is time.

Learn how to sail. Find out what you like and don't like.

If you want slow and steady but with plenty of space for tools and sensible access to things - my dream boat would be a Sirius 35 - if you like speed, XC38 or Arcona 380.

Picking up internships on land will teach you how to work very slowly in comfort and do very little for you out in the ocean, and will just become an excuse re "I'm not ready yet" "I'll want to finish this project first" - I can't emphasize this enough as someone who is waiting for the inevitable, go now.
I am 44. Reasonably good health. If everything comes together, the early retirement plan is 2 years off (and I suspect it will remain that way until I finally decide to pull trigger)

Right now the financial plan is, finish up current project. Look at the two buildings, figure out which one has greater future income potential, and selling the other one. The reality is, If I sell everything I will not get close to the 10-11% roi with a stock or bond investment. I can always fly back to Toledo, and manage the building for a time if my property management system fails for whatever reason.

I was down on cat's until I saw the Gunboat 55... OMG, keeps me awake at night wondering if I could buy one of those, then just be poor the rest of my life. lol, I could travel around for a couple of years winning all the regattas in cruiser boat class. No... racing and insurance... Darn.

Im still thinking my first boat should be a DIY refit boat, just to squelch that impulse and as a platform to learn ocean sailing. Then go buy the nice new boat once I have my learning mistakes out of way.

Son will be testing for his learning drivers permit in a couple of months. Parenthood is scary...
Old 30-09-2016, 09:11   #50

I think we all have difference experiences and personalities - often internally very conflicting. I guess what I'm trying to say is try to get a diverse experience before setting your heart out on cruising, because if it is travel opportunities you seek - you can see more of the world not being tied to your own boat - if it is speed racing you seek, there are many fun amateur opportunities all over the world (racing is on its way back after the economic downturn slowed things down).

If you love cruising - you'll have plenty of resources and hopefully good health in the time frame you have to enjoy it
Old 30-09-2016, 10:45   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
I think we all have difference experiences and personalities - often internally very conflicting. I guess what I'm trying to say is try to get a diverse experience before setting your heart out on cruising, because if it is travel opportunities you seek - you can see more of the world not being tied to your own boat - if it is speed racing you seek, there are many fun amateur opportunities all over the world (racing is on its way back after the economic downturn slowed things down).

If you love cruising - you'll have plenty of resources and hopefully good health in the time frame you have to enjoy it
Well again, I have no doubt that this is something I want to do. I have already done a lot of travel to island destinations, and one of the things that I always encounter on those types of vacations is... What is over there just beyond my reach. I mean even something mundane like Coco beach in Florida. I spend my days failing to surf on those lazy Florida vacations. A year and a half ago I vacationed in Key West. I feel like I missed a lot of what the area had to offer because I was trapped in that tourist paradigm with no real way to escape it.

But I am also chronically type A personality (or at least I am told) I am always busy. Those tiny little one or two day boat projects I see in the videos, looks like an absolutely fantastic way to spend my time, in lieu of what my father did which was spend his retirement having a beautiful lawn (and there is nothing wrong with that) But I look at my old man, and he is in 70's now, He also retired at about 50, and he has had a beautiful lawn for 20 years... I know I certainly don't want to do what my mother has done, which is work into her 70's because she can't conceive of not working...

I guess my big fear about a starter boat while here in Tropical Toledo... There is not a lot on the lakes I have not already done, and with Port Clinton 2 hours away I would buy a boat and it would sit hauled out 8 months a year, and I would only occasionally use it in the summer.

I guess the reason I post here is... I hope to meet some fantastic people in some far away places that can be destinations one day.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:39   #52

One year on. Dream is still alive. Major stuff towards goal of retirement is happening now. I am not supposed to talk about a lot of the particulars at the moment.

Any suggestions of places to go to retire? Where should I look. I like St Augustine a lot.

Now days the dream boat is a Saba 50.
Old 12-05-2017, 00:24   #53

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Interesting - I would suggest you take some ASA sailing classes and sail the great lakes as there is an old saying - if you can sail the great lakes you can sail anywhere in the world -

As for sitting - not sure where you plan to go but in 10 years out the only time we kept moving was when we did the Bahamas for the winter and up the usa east coast for hurricane season and then back - and the run down the coast can get cold in November -
As for the eastern carib you can go south to Grenada or Trinidad for hurricane season and sit for 6 months - or in the western carib you can sail panama and Colombia --
In the med you get to sail from say early may to mid October and then sit for winter
we have not been to the pacific but have friends right now sitting for cyclone season

As for you dream - well in our 2nd year out we were in Maine and met a couple with a brand new Caliber 40lrc and wanted us to circum nav with them and we said no we were not ready. They had the boat, had more spreadsheets than we could count, parts out the wazoo and on and on - we left them someplace south and they headed west and we went to the Bahamas - we then headed up the usa ec and into the cheaspeake for upgrades and after hurricane season we headed south and then to Mexico and points south - as we came out of the rio dulce we checked in on a western carib ssb cruiser net - guess what the woman was a net controller and we said we will meet and catch up - she said great but they were leaving in a day or two to head north and sell the boat and quit cruising - and later checking the internet we saw the boat for sale at a low price and they lost a chunk of change - not sure what happened but cruising was not for them.

We again would suggest you take some asa lessons and charter a few times and get the feel - right now boats in the carib are searching for wind protection from the west with unusual winds and it seems like they have been that way all winter - we have friends in the Bahamas who are world class ocean racers who are sitting because of bad winds

get some experience then decide if you want to drop money on a boat -

chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: