Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2015, 10:47   #1

Help with where to Blog - suggestions

I read on here someone posted some links to a few good blog sites. I am a newbie on the liveaboard sailing thing and want to share with friends and family. Not looking to make money. I read that webs.com was good and I have posted a lot there. Lately I have been getting errors when trying to update blog and you can't get help if you don't pay. I tired of fighting it and want to transfer all to a different site. I tried google + blogspot but when I click on it (although my language is english) it comes in chinese or something and I can't change it back. Already fighting there so something different. Any suggestions out there please come back.

valerie
valerinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 11:38   #2

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Help with where to Blog - suggestions

Different people, different opinions Here's mine:

Spent a little money on webhosting and start your own WordPress blog. That way you don't run into limits or having to pay to ask a simple question.

I've made a lot of WordPress website for (Dutch) liveaboards / cruisers, and on average the hosting will only cost them about $40 per year.
In return for that amount, they can register the site address (domain name) they want (including cool email addresses ) and they own their website and they can decide what it looks like.

Plenty of them started out on sites like blogger.com or wordpress.com, but sooner or later you hit a limit and have to pay for support or to use another theme etc. etc.

If all you want is a very basic website, try wordpress.com or blogger.com; if you'd like to have full control over your site, how it looks etc. etc., go for your own website. It's worth the $40 or so for decent hosting.

Feel free to PM me if you need a little help or more info.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 12:18   #3

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

For a basic 'update friends and family' application we use www.sailblogs.com it's free and we've never had any problems in what must be 7 0r 8 years by now.

No connection, beyond being a satisfied user
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 06:45   #4

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Blogger seems to work ok but I am having trouble with the the google plus thing also. It's a bit more confusing than it has to be.. I am thinking about my own domain but not sure which one yet.

Val, you can try to click on the little cog on blogger and then select the revert option. This might fix your Chinese language thing..

Lizzy Belle, $40 a year is very frugal! I love it lol

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 08:25   #5

This site has been so very helpful ! I appreciate all of you posting a response so quickly! Kudo's !!

This is my first trip out of the US and I have joined a friend are on the Rio Deluce right now. Holy moly we are having rain. So many things under water! Hopeful to go sailing around Christmas. Perhaps the Bay Islands, I want to go to Belize but my friend says it's not really a safe place right now? The plan was to buddy with someone to Panama at some point. My friend, I met on line but he has been such a gentleman, is thinking of permanent relocation. We are just friends and it seems to working well! Actually in June I believe I posted here asking many questions before I decided to go as I just met Roger and knew nothing about what to expect! I got some great responses to that query also!

Again, thank you, I have some options to check out now!

with respect,
Valerie
Old 29-11-2015, 08:29   #6

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I use a free website, mysite.com Been using it for many years with no problem.
Old 29-11-2015, 08:34   #7

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Can you convert from the free wordpress to the paid wordpress?

I just don't see any reason to pay for updating family and friends, at least not until you start reaching the upload limits for your media. To help with that, I actually upload videos to youtube, then embed them in the blog itself, rather than updating to wordpress.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:16   #8

Boat: 1990 Hunter Legend 37.5

What about something far simpler like Tumblr? Totally free and super easy to use.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitoSoto View Post
What about something far simpler like Tumblr? Totally free and super easy to use.
I struggle with tumblr. Most likely because I'm totally new on there and have no clue as to how to get around but it seems like many the sailing blogs on tumblr have nothing to do with sailing... What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-12-2015, 10:16   #10

My webs.com is fairly easy. I ran into problems but got around them for now. I am unable to figure out videos though so post them on Facebook but not everyone I know has a FB account. Just read a reply that uploads to youtube and embeds them. Haven't tried it yet.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:22   #11

Boat: 1990 Hunter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Sailor View Post
I struggle with tumblr. Most likely because I'm totally new on there and have no clue as to how to get around but it seems like many the sailing blogs on tumblr have nothing to do with sailing... What am I doing wrong?
Tumblr is sort of a weird social network, so don't focus on that. Just treat it as any other blogging site like WordPress, you can even add your own domain name.

Again, don't even look at the other blogs on Tumblr since most are really weird, just use it for posting.

You can also add custom templates to a tumbler blog, just like you would a WordPress.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerinna View Post
My webs.com is fairly easy. I ran into problems but got around them for now. I am unable to figure out videos though so post them on Facebook but not everyone I know has a FB account. Just read a reply that uploads to youtube and embeds them. Haven't tried it yet.
Most sites allow links to the other social networks... Not sure how My webs works but you might want to look for that option.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitoSoto View Post
Tumblr is sort of a weird social network, so don't focus on that. Just treat it as any other blogging site like WordPress, you can even add your own domain name.

Again, don't even look at the other blogs on Tumblr since most are really weird, just use it for posting.

You can also add custom templates to a tumbler blog, just like you would a WordPress.
Lol... Yes my sentiments exactly. Definitely sort of weird.. Not familiar with word press either. I use blogger which I find really easy to use... Then on tumblr I add the link and post- but there's never any feedback or anything.. I'll keep trying I guess..
Old 05-12-2015, 13:22   #14
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I don't like Google much, but blogspot has been pretty painless. The connection with Picasa has been handy for uploading the photos.
Old 05-12-2015, 15:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I don't like Google much, but blogspot has been pretty painless. The connection with Picasa has been handy for uploading the photos.
True Canibul... Just checked yours out.. Awesome