Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2016, 20:21   #1

Help with Queensland yacht charter "to impress my wife"

Despite being a small boat owner, I've been talking about buying a cruising catamaran for ages. My wife has suggested that we charter a catamaran for a week to see if it's something that we'll enjoy as a couple or if this is going to continue to be a weekend only passion of mine.

I'd like to hear from those who have chartered in Queensland. Any recommendations. Also I hold a RST (Recreational Skippers Ticket) that was issued in WA. Would I be allowed to charter bareboat?
Seafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 22:39   #2
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: Help with Queensland yacht charter "to impress my wife"

Surprisingly, for Australia, they're pretty loose up there in the Whitsunday's with respect to qualifications. They laughed at me and told me I was overqualified when I asked if my Day Skipper would be enough!

I ended up chartering in Greece, yeah I know!, so I can't help with a recommendation but I"ll be watching the thread closely because I want to do one up there next year.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 22:59   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

If you can breath, you can skipper a Whitsunday charter yacht. Or so it seems. All the mainstream charter mobs are ok up here, imo. Choosing a company that operates out of Hamilton Island would be most convenient if flying in. I'd have a look at Whitsunday Rentayacht who also took over Sunsail's fleet last year.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 23:16   #4

I've chartered with Cumberland charter yachts a couple of times. Both times from Airlie Beach but they will take it over to Hamilton for you. I think a fee applies.
They've been great both times. Plenty of information .

They'll give you a good rundown on the boat before you leave the dock and then come with you for a practical demo.
They'll leave you to go on your way once they're comfortable that you have some idea what you're doing.

Do it. You'll have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
chillireds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 10:11   #5

Boat: Neel 45 trimaran,and 50’ steel trawler

Have charted with both Cumberland and whitsunday rent a yacht,
Both exellant company's,
Cumberland had a Seawind 1250 for hire last time we sailed with them,
Rent a yacht have several boats up for auction during the year at reduced rate,usually around 30% but can be more,,( that's how we charted with them)
Both company's spent a half day showing us over the boat,
I had limited sailing experience at the time,
As others have said there pretty relaxed up that way,
Whitsundays is a awesome place to sail,
Can be a bit busy in the anchorages during August and September race week
Galues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 14:53   #6

Boat: Mumby 48

Hello Seafari - I worked for 10 years chartering boats in the Whitsundays - as an operator and sub-contracting to all the charter Co's. The standards today are pretty good so you should not be disappointed in the vessels. Yes, the requirements to sail may seem 'lax' but waters are semi protected and there are heaps of safety measures in place. Go with a friendly company and don't be shy to bargain on price. I'd put a day aside to to take your wife around other charter cats whilst you're up there. Have fun. NB. Bear in mind these are charter spec boats in survey & may not be compatible to private versions.
allatsea99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 14:55   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389 37'

My wife and I did exactly what Yu are considering. We bareboat chartered on the
Whitsundays several times which gave us a real taste for sailing. Later we did some RYA training and went on the charter in Italy. Now we have just purchased our own yacht.

The Whitsundays are great. The charter industry is well set up and managed and the place is truly beautiful. There is so much to do if you wish or just relax. Best to get quotes from a few operators.

Work out your preferred location as some are located at Airlie Beach, others at
Shute Harbour and Sunsail is sat Hamilton Island. We flew into Whitsunday airport and then shuttle to Airlie. Take a cab to the local supermarket to stock up.

Study 100 Magic Miles before you go. It is the essential pilotage book for the Whitsundays.

We chartered the Seawind 1160 and love them. They don't point into the wind as well as a monohull but there is so much space. They are now getting some pretty luxurious cats in but for me they are more like house boats. I would choose the boat based on number of people.

Lots of information on their websites.

As for qualifications I started with little experience and they gave me adequate training. But you do need to be able to safely navigate as the are many shallow reefs that will bring you undone if you are wreckless. But a bit f common sense and study of the above mentioned book and you'll have a great time.
Tim Litchfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 15:26   #8

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004

Have charted a monohull (Dufour 36) with Whitsunday Escape. Really enjoyed it. We included "semi-provisioned" and were amazed at how much food there was. I had sailed before but it was some years ago. They go over what to do, what not to do, then take you out of the marina, give you some anchoring pointers and meet you outside the marina on the way back in. I guess it's like flying, take off and landing is where most damage occurs!
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 15:42   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafari View Post
Despite being a small boat owner, I've been talking about buying a cruising catamaran for ages. My wife has suggested that we charter a catamaran for a week to see if it's something that we'll enjoy as a couple or if this is going to continue to be a weekend only passion of mine.

I'd like to hear from those who have chartered in Queensland. Any recommendations. Also I hold a RST (Recreational Skippers Ticket) that was issued in WA. Would I be allowed to charter bareboat?
As others have said, yes you will be able to charter.

Just be aware that many charter boats are slightly crippled, i.e. outhauls are bolted off halyards have stoppers in tracks etc, and that sails have been specified for price and durability not performance. So when you are sailing whatever you sail its performance is likely to be slightly compromised. For example a well sorted Seawind 1160 should point nearly as well as a Jennaeu Sun Odyssey of similar length and certainly equal it in VMG terms to weather.

enjoy, its a magnificent place.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 16:14   #10

Boat: Fusion 40

Good idea. Myself and a syndicate ran a charter yacht (Fusion Magic) for 12 mths with Charter Yachts Australia. Though I can't recommend giving up your boat for charter I can recommend CYA and the Whitsundays. I prefered to sail out of Airlie beach but to be fair never even went to Hamilton Island. There is so much else to see.

If you are chartering though, you will get frustrated at the requirement to anchor by 4:30 in the afternoon and because its forbidden you will always want to go past the charter boundaries. But it will give you a taste of the lifestyle.

Note that you don't need any qulaifications for a bare boat charter on the basis that you have instruction and are managed under the charter companies Safety Mangement System. Indeed I'm told they prefer people with less experience as they are much more careful with the equipment. The problems come with the people who have some experience and have an inflated idea of their capabilities.

Scrubby
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 16:16   #11

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I chartered out of Airlie Beach for the same reason you are. Great idea. We went for 14 days which was about four days too long on a charter boat. It's not the same as your own boat as it's pretty bare. Exceptionally well kept, virtually new. But, it's still not yours.

You need just the bare minimum of a marine ticket, being the standard speed boat license ( we call it). But, if you don't have that, some will simply take you out for a quick spin and then off you go.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 17:41   #12

Boat: Building 52' catamaran

Hi Seafari
Was in a similar position to you around 4 years ago. Planning to go water sailing">blue water sailing when kids finish school and wanted demonstrate a taste of the cruising lifestyle to my wife. We chartered a 38' cat out of Hamo due to the convenience of direct flights. Sailing in the Whitsundays is straight forward and not difficult. The couple of tricky areas will be covered in your briefing. Its a beautiful spot to sail and navigation is simple and line of sight. There are some coral reefs hazards to look out for but the cat's shallow draft is a big advantage.

Some tips:
1. Unless you love setting and retrieving your anchor, get to your anchorage early and pick up a mooring buoy. They are tested regularly and have a boat length rating on them. We slept better when secured to a buoy.
2. Provisioning. Food is pretty expensive on Hamo so if you go this route you can order food online from Coles or Woolsworths on the mainland and it will be delivered to Sunsail and then to your boat. Sunsail charged for this service - maybe $ 50 but it was worth it.
3. There a brilliant anchorage near Whitehaven beach with mooring buoys. Hook up there and buzz around to Whitehaven with your tender, picnic lunch and bottle of something. Brilliant spot to explore and get the cruising feeling.
4. As mentioned by Tim, buy a copy of 100 Magic Miles now and start dreaming.

BTW we had a great time and my wife has embraced the idea of cruising in 3 years time.
caveman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 17:45   #13

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

We chartered a catamaran for a week up there a few years ago. If you are thinking about buying a cat I can definitely recommend this approach first. And its a great intro for non sailing partners.

Its a nice place, lots of snorkling, walking and pretty beaches. A bit crowded in some areas though. Look for a performance cat with folding props if you plan on enjoying the sailing...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-04-2016, 18:22   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lipari Evolution, 40ft, Helia 44 July 2018 delivery

Hi Seafari, I also agree with all of the previous posts. I ran a charter catamaran out of Hamilton Island for 8 years and know the Government regulations you have to go through, so you find that the boats are safe and well appointed and all of the Charter companies meet those stringent requirements. Needless to say the boats themselves can vary a great deal to to age and time on the water, the charter price usually reflects this. The book the 100 Magic Miles is the bible for the Whitsundays and whilst most charter companies have it aboard for you, it is worth considering purchasing it for your planning. It also includes a huge amount of info on all aspects of sailing not only in the Whitsundays but cruising in general. Your idea of chartering a cat prior to making the decision of purchasing one is very sound. After a week on a cat and meeting other cat sailors you will have a much better idea of exactly what you want in a cat, re sailing performance, accommodation space, helm position and operation of control lines etc. Viewing other cats, hearing the for's and against's of those from their owner/skippers,plus forums such as this will again help you hone your list of potential boats that fit your plans and budget.
Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 18:27   #15

We used Cumberland Charter Yachts, Airlie Beach, for the exact reason back in 2007 and 2008, they were great people to deal with, they have a good selection of yachts and pretty good rates, they usually chuck in a day free after a certain ammount of time. You will need to give them a resume of sorts with your sailing history but i am pretty sure you didnt need anything else.
Doublewammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, queensland, yacht