Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 20:25   #16

Boat: Endeavourcat 30
Re: Help with Queensland yacht charter "to impress my wife"

It's all Kevin Rudd's fault you know. The Admiral and I cruised the Pacific in our 45ft World Explorer ketch before returning to Australia and settling just South of Townsville because that is where the wind blew us to. Got a job, bought a house, sold the boat, achieved my life's ambition to sail the Pacific in a yacht with 2 masts. Happy as Larry and contented as a cow in a Kiwi meadow. Then the GFC threatened Australia and the Labor government did what everybody else was afraid to do - they stimulated the Australian economy. Rudd, the miserable sod, gave everybody about $900 and said "Go forth and stimulate your local economy". So we did, combined our stimulation $$$s with some friends and chartered a Seawind 1160 from Whitsunday Escape for a week. Had a great time even if it was in between two cyclones and Whitsunday Escape couldn't have done it better for us. Recommended them to my son who also chartered with them with the same fantastic result. As for Kevin, well, after that experience I knew I wasn't ready to be boatless so I now have a wee motor sailor in which to pour any cash left over after the Australian Wine Industry has had its share. I can assure you Seafari that you too will love the Whitsundays and so will your Admiral.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 21:36   #17
Marine Service Provider

If you charter on Hamilton Island skip the provisioning package, get and early start and sail to Airlie Beach to provision. Great stores for everything and they almost give away good wine. Bought 28 bottles of wine, couple three of cased of beer for less the $200 US. Beer is not what I'd call cheap and hard liquor, even their Bundaberg Rum is expensive. Nice bars and restaurants in town. Charter operators are cool, just remember where the "pupu" and "no pupu" areas for holding tank dumping are on the charts. Also don't pick up any sea shells.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 22:43   #18

I see one major problem - one week isn't nearly enough.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 00:00   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

Dream Yacht Charter, Abel Point Marina, Airlie Beach have a good range of Cats. We have used them several times and can thoroughly recommend them

http://www.yachtcharters.com.au/

Supermarkets and Cellars near to Airlie for provisioning.

Cheers
Lisa

Tags
charter, queensland, yacht