Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2015, 12:04   #46

Re: Hats Off to the Royal Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by libramax View Post
Yeah, sorry for the long rant, I was just taking issue with the lack of logic in "I'm a nice person, nice people shouldn't be inspected."
Ranting is fun some times.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:31   #47

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am sure our (U.S.) navy is full of excellent and cheerful sailors, but I'd like to add a public thanks to the Royal Fleet Auxilliary ship "Sir Tristram" who in 1981 gave us a tow in the South China Sea when the racer I was crew on lost its rudder. Gracious and skilled from start to finish. And on arrival in Hong Kong the crew threw us a party and made us all "honorary members of the mess!" I am not sure how much of a good thing that is but we all had lots of laughs with fine ale. The following year the Sir Tristram took some big hits from missiles at the Falkland Islands I heard and I have always wondered what happened to the ship and its crew. When I heard the news I felt like an old friend was hurt.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 13:35   #48

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Actually the older man in the street might inform you differently.. for anyone born around my time they would not realise the difference.. and its funny how they all CHOOSE to stay in the Commonwealth..
Indian Independence was the deal struck so their soldiers would fight for us in the 2nd WW.. else the Rising Sun may not have set.. remember.. you guys were a coupla 3 years late to the party.. both in Europe and the Far East.. and but for a stratigic error by a cocky Army who'd marched through China and into Burma and Singapore you'd have stayed out.
But.. thats by the bye.. your history taught differs much the same as our Atlas's used to back then.. when the UK was illustrated as larger than France.. coould not have the natives realising they were conquered and ruled by a country not much bigger than Goa..
So.. next time you go sailing.. view those Admiralty charts with caution.. you never know whats true for sure...

Boatman,
It should be clear that I believe the British Empire was one of the greatest empires known to Man. They brought culture and technology to generally primitive and Stone Age cultures. However, the Independence movements of the 50's,60's and 70's could not be abated. In my opinion, these countries gained independence but suffered a loss of civilization that witnessed crime, decay of infrastructure, loss of commercial interests and a generally rapid decline. Under English rule, their lives were better.
I disagree, however with your opinion on India. One only needs to read about the Indian Independence Movement to understand they did not want you and literally kicked you out. In the short term, they suffered. But, the long term read may be much different as India is poised as one of the fastest growing economies in the world.
Finally, the remarkable work done in charting much of the known world by English captains, notably Cook and Bligh, was a testament to their superior skills as many of those charts, as you mentioned, are still used today.
As a final point, America did not want to be involved in WWII after the experience of the first world war. However, Roosevelt was determined to send American troops with the continual pleading of Churchill and the rest is History. There is no doubt that England would have fallen to the Germans without US support of materials and soldiers. However, it was Churchill who first bombed civilian populations in Germany as ,initially, Hitler was opposed to bombing the Brits because they were genetically the same as the Germans. We know how that all ended. So, how's that for some thread drift? Good luck and good sailing. R
Old 12-03-2015, 14:47   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hats Off to the Royal Navy

Okay.. enough.. I'm closing with this..
I saw things from the inside.. you see from the outside so the manipultations of Nehru, Jinnah and Mountbatten are seen in the Western light.. and Hollywood...
One can take a horse to water.. but you can't make him drink..
I view it more from the Squaw mans side.. you could say I'm as much a product of the Indian sub-Continent as I am of England..
I've had my bones to pick with them as well...
A lot never makes the history books..

Back on topic..
Another border Service I like..and this may come as a surprise.. are the Australians..
courteous and willing to have a laugh.. even if they did nick all my food..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 14:59   #50

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Wow! Yeah old English belief that nations like Australia were not 'civilised' prior to the English invasion. Have our lives ever been better as a result of this English civilisation? All I can say is 'wow'!
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 15:34   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Wow! Yeah old English belief that nations like Australia were not 'civilised' prior to the English invasion. Have our lives ever been better as a result of this English civilisation? All I can say is 'wow'!

You are of course quite correct

Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 15:43   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Are you claiming ethnicity.. or are you decended from the Portuguese sailors who were shipwrecked there before the English found the place..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 12-03-2015, 15:47   #53

Quote:
Are you claiming ethnicity.. or are you decended from the Portuguese sailors who were shipwrecked there before the English found the place..

Again, 'wow' !
Old 12-03-2015, 16:25   #54
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I agree boatman, the rot started by letting those pesky New England colonisers get uppity and claim independence. They should have known better and been glad to have been Englishman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2015, 16:28   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I agree boatman, the rot started by letting those pesky New England colonisers get uppity and claim independence. They should have known better and been glad to have been Englishman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And English 'women'

And just a small clarification, us Aussie's don't have independence yet.
Old 12-03-2015, 16:48   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I am sure our (U.S.) navy is full of excellent and cheerful sailors, but I'd like to add a public thanks to the Royal Fleet Auxilliary ship "Sir Tristram" who in 1981 gave us a tow in the South China Sea when the racer I was crew on lost its rudder. Gracious and skilled from start to finish. And on arrival in Hong Kong the crew threw us a party and made us all "honorary members of the mess!" I am not sure how much of a good thing that is but we all had lots of laughs with fine ale. The following year the Sir Tristram took some big hits from missiles at the Falkland Islands I heard and I have always wondered what happened to the ship and its crew. When I heard the news I felt like an old friend was hurt.
You don't have to wonder, here you go :

RFA Sir Tristram (L3505) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-03-2015, 16:54   #57

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
From where originally did the Aussies and NZs originate? Tokyo? Where did Americans with names like Krueger, Hoffmann, Schmidt, and Speiss originate? Iran? We are all Europeans: English Aussies, S. African English and Dutch, English NZ's, German Americans and so on. We just left our homeland and settled elsewhere. We cannot compare this to the above conversation in regards to India who are a different indigenous people. I had a friend that once said: Who is Schmidt--An American on the outside and a German within. Good luck and good sailing . . . oh, yes . . . and hats off to the Royal Navy.
Old 12-03-2015, 17:07   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahh..
Rustic... it appears we have to educate folk on 'The Dreaming'.. before the heretics and idol worshippers landed on the shores of the 'Land of the People'... and disturbed the 'Dream Times'..

Old 12-03-2015, 17:22   #59

Boat: Raven 26

Quote:
And English 'women'

And just a small clarification, us Aussie's don't have independence yet.
Just to provide some education to our Australian Neighbours in the West Island, Australia was recognised as an independant Nation on 1st Jan 1901.

You Head of State (like ours in NZ) is of course the Queen. You may be referring to becoming a "Republic" which is of course s differnt kettle of fish and one which was voted on in a Referendum a few years ago with 55% choosing the Status quo iirc.

SthnJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 20:34   #60

Quote:
Ahh..
Rustic... it appears we have to educate folk on 'The Dreaming'.. before the heretics and idol worshippers landed on the shores of the 'Land of the People'... and disturbed the 'Dream Times'..
absolutely.

Tags
navy