Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 03:38   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Has anyone tried Flexseal below the waterline?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Joel.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:13   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
A you absolutely sure slick or poison (a biocide) are the only two ways? If so, what is the basis for the statement?
Take a stroll down your local chandlery's anti fouling paint aisle. You tell me if there is anything that doesn't contain a biocide or works as a foul-release coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
And why are you so sure FlexSeal lacks either or both?
Because I've read the MDS for FlexSeal.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:19   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Take a stroll down your local chandlery's anti fouling paint aisle. You tell me if there is anything that doesn't contain a biocide or works as a foul-release coating.

Because I've read the MDS for FlexSeal.
Just as a question. Is it possible that some flexibility may inhibit growth???
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:21   #34
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Just as a question. Is it possible that some flexibility may inhibit growth???
As I've already mentioned; the flexible tubes or bottom of the inflatable dinghy in question already allow barnacle fouling without having FlexSeal on them. So the answer is no, flexibility in and of itself will not inhibit growth. painting the tubes with FlexSeal does not alter this.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:33   #35

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
While agree that it is unlikely that Flexseal will work as an anti-fouling coat, it wouldn't be the first time that someone discovered a secondary use for a product. I recall that disposable baby diapers were found to be fire resistant and now the materials are the basis for a fire retardant product.

The only real way to know if it works is to run a test. I would get a piece of GRP (aka fiberglass) and coat one third with Flexseal, one third with the anti-fouling paint of your choice, and leave one third uncoated. Then I would place it in the water for a minimum of six months to see how things work.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:43   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
As I've already mentioned; the flexible tubes or bottom of the inflatable dinghy in question already allow barnacle fouling without having FlexSeal on them. So the answer is no, flexibility in and of itself will not inhibit growth. painting the tubes with FlexSeal does not alter this.
I was asking more about surface flexibility not the flexibility of the hull? I'll admit it's a long shot, but who knows, the barnacles may not like a surface that oscillates even minutely and a flexible coating might provide that? If it worked a bunch of bottom paint companies would be pissed. Long shot but who knows? I've work in R&D where everything is a long shot.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:54   #37

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I was asking more about surface flexibility not the flexibility of the hull? I'll admit it's a long shot, but who knows, the barnacles may not like a surface that oscillates even minutely and a flexible coating might provide that? If it worked a bunch of bottom paint companies would be pissed. Long shot but who knows? I've work in R&D where everything is a long shot.
There are anti-fouling devices out now that use ultrasound vibrations to defeat slime and critters from adhering to the boat's underwater surfaces. The few test results I have read suggest they work but are not perfect. I don;t know if Flexseal will provide enough vibration to defeal fouling but in theory there is a chance, albeit not a great chance.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:04   #38

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

I can't add anything to the Flexseal as anti-fouling discussion but part of this thread included uses of Flexseal tape as an emergency fix. I have used the Flexseal spray to seal a persistent pinhole gap at the base of my keel, aft end right where it joins the hull. I'm sure this use will raise all sorts of indignation about doing a more traditional repair. However, for the sake of sharing information ... several years ago when I pulled my boat for the winter I noticed water leaking from the base at the rear of the keel. I had a fiberglass guy look at it. He said nothing to worry about structurally. My keel is encapsulated not bolted on. He ground down the area and applied new epoxy. Next year the water leaking out of the area returned. I concluded that "fixing" it while on the hard wasn't likely without significant new glass matting since any patch while the boat's weight was on the keel likely would fail as soon as it was lifted to be launched in the Spring. So 4 years ago I scraped the area down to the gelcoat, masked it off and applied 3 coats of Flexseal. Then I painted the bottom as normal. That fall - no leak. The following year it failed but when I redid it, it held the next summer. Obviously it flexes enough at launch time and is substantive enough over a summer of sailing to be an effective fix for a small break in my hull's gelcoat. A little time and not much money is good enough for me.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 15:22   #39

We have a 1968 carolina V-haul, restored.With a 55hp Evanrude.Today we just bought a gallon of the white flex seal liquid. We rolled the bottom and brushed it.sanded the bottom before hand.Also used it on my vinyl seats.It looks great but we will go out next weekend and put it to the test in the saltwater of the gulf.So far so good ,but buy the gallon forget the spray can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_184041.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	223368   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_184057.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	223369  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_183030.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	223370  
Bobby850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 17:00   #40

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hey Joel, try a comment under the YouTube video in question, usually Johan&Marlen are quite good in answering comments.

If you get a reply, let us know.

It may be that their Flexseal is something different than what is marketed in the US under this name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Sequeira View Post
I saw youtube video of a Sweedish sailor who used a rubber paint below the waterline. I was wondering if they use Flex Seal? The product says it can be used on fiberglass. Has anyone tried this?
Old 20-02-2021, 07:46   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
The tape should be in ever body's locker, the stuff is beyond amazing. If Robert Redford had it he wouldn't of sank. The stuff is really unbelievable for emergency repairs. I do know a guy with an older boat. When he gets a deck leak he sprays white flexseal on it. Leak stopped, some repairs over 8 years.

If you carry ducktape, flexseal tape is a better quick fix. Also Gorilla tape is a better than most duck tapes.
Hey Walter. Dave Wilbar.

Saw your comment about Flex Seal. Do you know how Flex Seal reacts when it’s been sprayed on Hypalon, then dink is deflated? Is it flexible with Hypalon, or is stiff?

Also thinking Flex Seal Tape might make a good mast boot?
Davewilbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 11:35   #42

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’m gonna say no. It didn’t even work out in the sun for more than a year without becoming brittle and falling apart
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water