Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2018, 20:01   #16

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Re: Handcraft Mattress owners, your input please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
How well did the electric knife work?
I ask as Sailright sells a knife for cutting foam, but for one job it doesn’t make sense to buy it and haul it around forever and never use it again.
Worked great. The job could have been slightly neater with a real foam cutter, but it was more than good enough once the cover went back on the mattress. You literally can't tell at all. Electric knife was $15.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 20:05   #17

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Modway Aveline 8" Gel Infused Memory Foam Queen Mattress with CertiPUR-US Certified Foam - 10-Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ET84Y8W..._NCmGBb0SPJK40
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 23:29   #18

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

We bought an HMC mattress about two years ago and love it. We tried out each of their mattresses at a boat show and agreed on the medium firm. HMC came to the boat (in So. Cal) and made their pattern, then delivered and installed the bed about ten days later. We have a hinge running from head to foot and you'd never know it. I think the mattress height is six inches. We liveaboard (we being two adults and a 40 lb. dog) and love the mattress. We did not get a topper. My only complaint would be their "waterproof" mattress cover which proved to be not so waterproof.
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 02:46   #19

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

IMHO this thread should be renamed "Paranoid insomniacs"

I have only ever had foam in 30 years, and most days I'm so tired if I lay down .... I go to sleep ...even in the cockpit....
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 04:45   #20

Location: Wherever the waves are good and the wind is offshore
Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
IMHO this thread should be renamed "Paranoid insomniacs"

I have only ever had foam in 30 years, and most days I'm so tired if I lay down .... I go to sleep ...even in the cockpit....
That sounds just lovely for you. Unfortunately, I come from a long line of light sleepers, and short of having an 8 hour surf session leading up to bed time, I've followed in my ancestors' footsteps.
Scoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 04:48   #21

Location: Wherever the waves are good and the wind is offshore
Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If foam, go for “real” latex, be sure it’s real Latex, there are lot of foams that call themselves Latex that aren’t. I’d suspect if your buying from Boat beds, it’s real Latex.
Another issue with foam is condensation, it’s not a problem with inner spring, I assume due to the open airspace of the springs, not sure, but it’s not a problem.
A Froli is really a good investment in my opinion for a foam mattress, it makes the condensation a non issue cause of the airflow through the Froli. It also helps in the comfort part, but does add in mattress height.
I think we're going to go with the hypervent, due to height restrictions, but I've heard nothing but great words on the Froli! It has been making me consider cutting our mattress height down some to incorporate it.
Scoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease