Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2011, 11:44   #1

Green with a Dream

Hi everybody, I am looking to soak up as much information as possible here. I posted this in the "Meet & Greet" section but thought it might get more visits here. My three best friends and myself want to see the world while we are still young and before we have responsibilities that tie us down(family or financial). We are 19-23 years old. We love the Ocean and think it would be a very fun bonding/learning experience.

The concept is to set sail within one year or less. We want to sail around the world. I am thinking that we would learn to sail then get jobs as crew on sailboats for a while to gain experience. We all four save our money and then when we are ready to go we liquidate our possessions and gather our funds to get a boat. I am thinking Cat (based on what I have read) because of the larger deck space and stability.

1) What size boat do you recommend?
2) How much are we looking at paying to buy an adequate boat?
3) Are there any places that would be best to pick up a used boat (because of :lower sales taxes; favorable exchange rates; general lower purchase prices; etc.)
4) How can we accelerate our learning?
5) Would working crew be a good idea, or would it not do much?
6) Where can we go to learn more about sailing and navigation?
....I will add as I come up with more

Thanks for stoppin' by,
- Dylan
Dylanj08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 13:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Green with a dream

To have separate bunks for 4 you will probably need to a boat in the 34-38' range minimum.

Cats are usually a lot more money that a similar monohull. The stability is mainly that they heel (lean over to the side when the wind blows on the sails) than a monohull boat. So the ride is more level but can be choppier. A monohull will sail leaning over except going down wind but the motion is a little smoother.

Cost of a boat can vary a lot, depending on what amenities you want. Go very basic: no refrigerator, no auto pilot, minimal electronics and you should be able to find an older but well built 34-38' monohull for $20-$40,000. Cat 30% - 50% more. Plan on spending 2-6 months and 15-30% of the original purchase price months on installation, repairs, upgrades, new gear, etc.

You can learn a lot about sailing and navigation on this forum but good idea to pick up books and read every thing you can on the subject.

Not sure what you mean by Would working crew be a good idea, or would it not do much? Do you mean you work as crew on other boats? Then yes, it's a great idea. Don't expect to get paid much if anything but good learning experience.

East coast US probably the best deals on used boats. Sales tax can be avoided depending on your state of residence, where you register the boat and where and how long you stay in certain states after you buy the boat. For example, no matter where your official residence, if you buy a used boat in FL you have to take is out of the state within a certain time (90 days I think is the current limit) or you pay FL state sales tax of 6%. You can get an extension if the boat is in a yard for work or repairs.

Hope this gives you a start on the plans.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 14:34   #3

Re: Green with a Dream

Do older boats see much depreciation? We would want to bring along our surfboards and paddleboards, at least one of each per person. Do any companies make storage units that fit to the underside of the area below the two hulls (forgive the lack of proper terminology).
Dylanj08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 14:53   #4

Maybe start with a smaller monohull and do the Keys or the Bahamas next fall.

Going from nothing to 4 dudes each with a 5'8" stick to store for 2+ years.
.. forget about it. After finishing a smaller run around the islands for a few months you will know what you need, how you want it, and how much you can afford.
I'm not saying it can't be done, in fact I think its a must be done. Just start off with something manageable that wont break the bank or your spirits.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote