Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2012, 06:30   #1

Greek Immigration / Visa issue.

Greetings

We are currently wintering onboard in Greece and find ourselves in a somewhat unique situation... We are Non-EU citizens.

On 3 previous Official Entries into Greece, Greek officials have stamped our Passports with an ENTRY Stamp. This is the "normal Schengen 90/180" stamp. On our latest entry, Oct 4, 2012, the Official stamped our Crew-List with the Entry Stamp. Our Passport do not have the Entry Stamp. I was somewhat concerned at the time as I had not heard of this option. Later in read through the Instruction details on the Greek Transit LOG, Section 5, it makes reference to the Crew-List and infers that this is the Correct method???? With further research, I found that the Crew-List stamp is the normal process for Commercial vessel and Crew members.

I have asked about, "How long are we allowed to stay in Country"? The answer given was that we could stay indefinitely, as long as we stay onboard each night.

At this time I have not found another non-EU yacht that has had this happen to.

We are nervous about being outside of the Normal Yacht Procedures. We are NOT a commercial Vessel.

Has anyone else had any experience with this Check-in Procedure? On the surface this seems like a great way around the Schengen 90 day limitations as long as it does not create other issue????

Thanks Tom
onehalfmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:25   #2

Re: Greek Immigration / Visa issue.

There wont be any problem because they know you have been documented and you have been documented in Greece where they don't keep track of anything.
Tsofli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:30   #3

my wife had entered 2 times without having a stamp and she was stressed what it would happened when she had to leave. Nothing at all happened.
Tsofli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:30   #4

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

onehalfmoon by any chance are you up in the Ionian area ?
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:44   #5

Hi
Tsofli, as to your comment regarding Greece. My 2 year, multiple enter experience differs GREATLY from your. I would make no attempt at entering Greece without proper paperwork.

We are currently in Las Plams Gran Canary awaiting weather to cross to the Caribbean.

Tom
Old 09-12-2013, 07:49   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehalfmoon View Post
Greetings

We are currently wintering onboard in Greece and find ourselves in a somewhat unique situation... We are Non-EU citizens.

On 3 previous Official Entries into Greece, Greek officials have stamped our Passports with an ENTRY Stamp. This is the "normal Schengen 90/180" stamp. On our latest entry, Oct 4, 2012, the Official stamped our Crew-List with the Entry Stamp. Our Passport do not have the Entry Stamp. I was somewhat concerned at the time as I had not heard of this option. Later in read through the Instruction details on the Greek Transit LOG, Section 5, it makes reference to the Crew-List and infers that this is the Correct method???? With further research, I found that the Crew-List stamp is the normal process for Commercial vessel and Crew members.

I have asked about, "How long are we allowed to stay in Country"? The answer given was that we could stay indefinitely, as long as we stay onboard each night.

At this time I have not found another non-EU yacht that has had this happen to.

We are nervous about being outside of the Normal Yacht Procedures. We are NOT a commercial Vessel.

Has anyone else had any experience with this Check-in Procedure? On the surface this seems like a great way around the Schengen 90 day limitations as long as it does not create other issue????

Thanks Tom
This is the procedure for admitting commercial crew on board ships. It is in effect a " transit visa" to allow the crew to join or rejoin their ship. I am not aware it applies to leisure vessels.

Dave
Old 09-12-2013, 08:06   #7

Hi This was an OLD post from about a year ago. The issue has all been sorted out.
Thanks Tom