Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2017, 10:48   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Monroe, WA
Posts: 14
Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LByers View Post
I'll be giving free sails on a 63' gaff-rigged schooner named Lavengro on Saturday at the Boat Show. Sign up for the 10am, 11:30am, or 1pm sail. You probably won't be looking for a boat anything like this one but I'll be the Captain and I can help you with info about sailboat charters, schools, and boat clubs. Or just stop by and say hi. Cheers!
Are kids able to come aboard as well? We have our 16, 15, 7 year olds that are gonna be with us at the show ...
__________________

__________________
skeeter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 10:58   #17
Registered User
 
LanceT's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Vancouver BC
Boat: Catalina 38
Posts: 3
Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

One more thing you have to consider is the insurance coverage. Before you build up your sailing resume, it might be difficult to get it at reasonable premium to own or charter a boat. I myself stayed in a sailing club for more than 10 years, and chartered boats of similar size of my targeted boat for a few times before I actually purchased one.
__________________

__________________
LanceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 11:03   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Monroe, WA
Posts: 14
Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceT View Post
One more thing you have to consider is the insurance coverage. Before you build up your sailing resume, it might be difficult to get it at reasonable premium to own or charter a boat. I myself stayed in a sailing club for more than 10 years, and chartered boats of similar size of my targeted boat for a few times before I actually purchased one.
For sure, I plan on documenting all of our trips as well as us taking classes at Shilshole before we even remotely get close to purchasing anything. Don't really want higher premiums from the get-go!
__________________
skeeter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 15:34   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ, and PNW
Boat: Seaward 25, Beneteau 40
Posts: 143
Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

I think before you go too far down this road it might be useful to call around to various marinas that you might want permanent or temporary moorage at and discuss availability (and cost) for big catamarans. They are out there but are often end or side ties that are not the most desireable spot in the marina and likely have a long or slow advancing wait list.
__________________
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 08:10   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Monroe, WA
Posts: 14
Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

That's a good idea. We'll have a bit of time once we finally make the decision to buy one as we've probably got a year or two before we get to the decision point plus wait time once the order has been placed which has been running about a year or more for some of these models! All said, we've probably got 2-3 years till delivery so we should be able to at least find a slip here in the greater Seattle area, even if its not at the marina we want, until the right slip opens up

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
I think before you go too far down this road it might be useful to call around to various marinas that you might want permanent or temporary moorage at and discuss availability (and cost) for big catamarans. They are out there but are often end or side ties that are not the most desireable spot in the marina and likely have a long or slow advancing wait list.
__________________
skeeter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:07   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: Leopard 43
Posts: 28
Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
I think before you go too far down this road it might be useful to call around to various marinas that you might want permanent or temporary moorage at and discuss availability (and cost) for big catamarans. They are out there but are often end or side ties that are not the most desireable spot in the marina and likely have a long or slow advancing wait list.
I wouldn't stress too much over this. While it is true it's harder to find moorage for a large cat it's possible. We have a Leopard 43 and have been able to find moorage at multiple marinas. You may have to get on a waiting list for the "perfect" marina but there is moorage available if you look hard enough.
__________________
-Rick
rfadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:12   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Monroe, WA
Posts: 14
Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfadler View Post
I wouldn't stress too much over this. While it is true it's harder to find moorage for a large cat it's possible. We have a Leopard 43 and have been able to find moorage at multiple marinas. You may have to get on a waiting list for the "perfect" marina but there is moorage available if you look hard enough.
Agreed, there's TONS of Marinas here in Seattle, we should be able to find SOMETHING if we had to with short notice.

What year is your 43 Rick? We've been eyeing the Leopards also
__________________
skeeter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:18   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: Leopard 43
Posts: 28
Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

Sounds like you have lots of positive replies which is great. I can't offer to take you sailing in the near future but would be happy to invite you by our boat in a few weeks if you'd like.

We have a plan similar to what you describe only we're a few years ahead of you and maybe a smaller budget. We purchased our 2005 Leopard 43 out of a charter fleet in the BVI about five years ago. We kept her in charter there for a couple of seasons in a second tier fleet then sailed her to Costa Rica where we loaded her onto a ship to be delivered to Victoria. We then put her in a charter fleet in Anacortes and she just finished her very last bareboat charter trip two days ago. We're now moving her to Seattle for a major refit before we retire and head south next fall.

I'm still working on arranging moorage in Seattle but hope to get that resolved today then I'll be bringing her down from Anacortes in a couple of weeks.

You are welcome to PM me if you want to stop by the boat. I think she's a good example of what you get when you purchase a boat out of a charter fleet. A lot of wear and tear but not as bad as some on CF portray it.
__________________
-Rick
rfadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 15:27   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 15
Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

Marine service center Anacortes has a Gemini 34 cat for sail, its not nearly as nice as a bran new FP40 but its also 1/4 the price. We are in much the same boat and will be at the show on Friday with our two little ones as well (4 and 1) if you'd like to meet up.

I have been sailing for the past year on a local race boat, and the owner has taken my wife and oldest out on a non race day for a fun sail. I would call up the yacht clubs and see if they can put your name out there as interested crew, its not the same as cruising but it is a free ride and you learn a LOT about sailing.
__________________
FSJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 15:31   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 15
Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfadler View Post
Sounds like you have lots of positive replies which is great. I can't offer to take you sailing in the near future but would be happy to invite you by our boat in a few weeks if you'd like.

We have a plan similar to what you describe only we're a few years ahead of you and maybe a smaller budget. We purchased our 2005 Leopard 43 out of a charter fleet in the BVI about five years ago. We kept her in charter there for a couple of seasons in a second tier fleet then sailed her to Costa Rica where we loaded her onto a ship to be delivered to Victoria. We then put her in a charter fleet in Anacortes and she just finished her very last bareboat charter trip two days ago. We're now moving her to Seattle for a major refit before we retire and head south next fall.

I'm still working on arranging moorage in Seattle but hope to get that resolved today then I'll be bringing her down from Anacortes in a couple of weeks.

You are welcome to PM me if you want to stop by the boat. I think she's a good example of what you get when you purchase a boat out of a charter fleet. A lot of wear and tear but not as bad as some on CF portray it.
Rick, I live up in Oak Harbor and would love talk to you about your experiences /choices. let me know when you are coming to pick up your boat and ill buy you lunch if you like.
__________________
FSJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 21:16   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Monroe, WA
Posts: 14
Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJunky View Post
Marine service center Anacortes has a Gemini 34 cat for sail, its not nearly as nice as a bran new FP40 but its also 1/4 the price. We are in much the same boat and will be at the show on Friday with our two little ones as well (4 and 1) if you'd like to meet up.

I have been sailing for the past year on a local race boat, and the owner has taken my wife and oldest out on a non race day for a fun sail. I would call up the yacht clubs and see if they can put your name out there as interested crew, its not the same as cruising but it is a free ride and you learn a LOT about sailing.
Oh you were at the boat show today? Too bad, we'll be there tomorrow with our 16, 15, 7 year old kiddos! Would've enjoyed meeting up. PM me if you're gonna be there tomorrow. We'll be there from around 11-2(ish) then going sailing with the Halien crew (thanks again Kevin and Julie, we're all so excited!!).

My dad recommended joining a racing crew, this gives me more to consider with that. I've heard its can be an amazing learning experience!

Scott
__________________
skeeter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 22:11   #27
Registered User
 
Mark424's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: Maine Cat 38
Posts: 213
Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

Also check out the NW Multihull Association, most of the folks are trimaran types, but there is one guy w/ a Mahe 36, maybe others on the list I haven't met. My boat is on the east coast, should be home to Seattle in March if you are still looking. More of a sailors boat than a comfy charter cat. You could also talk to Matthew Dunning at the Multihull Company, he's in Tacoma. He was at the show last year selling a Fusion 40, not sure if they are displaying anything this year. One of his other clients had a Catana that they chartered out in the south sound, but heard he was selling it, so not sure if its still available.

San Juan Sailing has a Seawind 1160 and a Nautitech Open 40. Worth a call to see if they'd give you a daysail - or better yet buy a lesson, they take you sailing, you learn a few things, and it might be cheaper than a charter.
__________________
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 10:04   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 15
Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

If you did not get my pm keep an eye out for us on sat. We will probably be the only gamely with a Spider-Man backpack and a little girl in a Snow White outfit
__________________

__________________
FSJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oregon, sail, seattle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Available: Want Offshore Experience Washington Oregon Seattle Area (Willing To Travel) Soundsailor Crew Positions: Wanted & Available 0 12-09-2016 19:25
Living aboard in greater Vancouver area Chuck Colquhoun Liveaboard's Forum 26 24-07-2015 07:22
Crew Available: Greater Boston Area monstads Crew Archives 3 13-04-2014 06:16
Hi All . . . Couple o' Noobs Here ! GoPack Meets & Greets 7 21-11-2011 12:09
Noobs in NC Aqua Vitae Meets & Greets 6 15-08-2007 04:08


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.