Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2015, 04:51   #1

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran
Great Movie - Knife in the Water

We just happened upon this movie old movie on TV - Knife in the Water. I'd never even heard of it! From 1962 - a drama aboard a cool old sloop.

I looked it up afterward to find that it was Roman Polanski's first film!

It's now my favorite sailing movie!

(It's sub-titled in English, but you almost don't need the words to understand what's happening)
Old 30-05-2015, 08:11   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Great Movie - Knife in the Water

Well, Karen,
We do, indeed, have some sentient beings here on CF. "Knife in the Water" is a film classic produced by the controversial director/actor Roman Polanski. It is the first full length movie he directed. It involves a bizarre, spontaneous love triangle that develops on a sailboat and ends in marital unfaithfulness and questions the nature of relationships and life. It is much reminiscent of Bergman's films in the chiaroscuro effects of light and dark and the implications of human psychology not spoken in speech. Although not sailing related, one of Polanski's most bizarre and psychologically profound movies is "The Tenant" which represents Polanski's journey through the dark areas of the mind. However, if "Captain Ron" is your thing . . . . I'd give Polanski a pass. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 30-05-2015, 08:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Great Movie - Knife in the Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmccraw View Post
We just happened upon this movie old movie on TV - Knife in the Water. I'd never even heard of it! From 1962 - a drama aboard a cool old sloop.

I looked it up afterward to find that it was Roman Polanski's first film!

It's now my favorite sailing movie!

(It's sub-titled in English, but you almost don't need the words to understand what's happening)
Yes, an interesting film if you like sailing, being set on a boat. I saw it some years ago, and remember some scenes still.

The classic "Love Triangle" motif with building sexual tension.

Another example of why women were traditionally considered "bad luck" on ships, as the jealousy of men in confined places with too few women can lead to violence.

Another film you might find interesting is :"Kill Cruise."

I don't want to hijack your thread, so I will start a new one on this forum to give you links to it etc.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, water