Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2019, 01:47   #16

Boat: Valiant 42
GPS, nationwide, tablets and ipads

There are no good, inexpensive tablets with built-in GPS in my experience. Most people will have a cell phone and that can provide accurate location data. Plus a cheap USB or bluetooth GPS puck can provide GPS data to most any cheap tablet.

In cruising you will find that most people don't go with all-in-one devices. They tend to favor a system with a few key components. Critical components can be held in spares storage as backup in case of a lightning strike or loss due to theft.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 04:05   #17

Re: GPS, nationwide, tablets and ipads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibstay View Post
So, what’s a good, inexpensive tablet with built-in GPS to use as a backup?

The only good tablet thats cheap is the new 9.7 base model.

First check it has GPS, then check with Navionics if its comaptible, there is a list, then make sure you get the LTE version so you can use a sim card for mobile data.

If you just need something for email and the web and planning you navionic trips in cabin, it might work. But realise the dedicated navionics systems provide more than chart plotting, a LOT more.

if you dont know there is a free WEB VERSION which you can chart way points.

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating

So, people plan routes with mobile
https://www.navionics.com/aus/apps/navionics-boating

Then transfer them to their chart plotter
https://www.navionics.com/aus/charts/
LuvSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 04:25   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Those internal units are finicky and incompatible with a lot of software.

I have not found that to be the case. The internal GPS in our three Android tablets (and two Android phones) all plot us at the same coordinates as our three onboard GPS nav units. And they all seamlessly work with the four nav apps we've used.

-Chris
Old 15-01-2019, 05:47   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I have not found that to be the case. The internal GPS in our three Android tablets (and two Android phones) all plot us at the same coordinates as our three onboard GPS nav units. And they all seamlessly work with the four nav apps we've used.

-Chris

+1.

We’re not piloting supersonic missles that require pinpoint accuracy. 2-3 meters of error is fine. Eyeballs take over far before that distance becomes a problem.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 15:39   #20

Android tablets should work. They just arent very powerful. The chip thats in the base model iPad is the chip they used in the previous pro. Its as powerful as a dual core laptop processor. Plus it has a powerful graphics processor.

Of the current Androids Lenovo is holding things up, not sure if it has GPS, but its popular for the money, they are cheap. But the iPad is worth the extra $150. Trust me it hurts me to recommend any apple product haha.

I have a a Samsung Galaxy Active S2, its $850NZD. But its due to being a tough book. It has no issue with water etc. Also the stylus is the same experience as the Galaxy note. If I didnt already have this for work reasons Id buy an iPad.

If you already have an Android, give it a go, its free to try I believe. I just use the web version for general times and distance etc of a plot.

But yes GPS is clearly a must and if you can get a cellular/LTE model even better as you can use mobile net around the world with different sim cards. Of course there should be wifi and the bigger Marinas. And some people go for Sat Net (not cheap and slow).

Isnt technology cool.

Thats why I dont mind doing an honest job in IT and saving my money vs selling my soul on youtube making videos. I do love my cameras though. Maybe when I retire at 55 I will start making high quality videos for whatever platform is around in 10-12 years.
Old 15-01-2019, 15:44   #21

Ok it appears GPS is only available on the wifi + LTE/Cellular iPad model.

Not 100% sure what assisted GPS means, but it also has GLONASS (russian version of GPS)

https://www.apple.com/nz/ipad-9.7/specs/
Old 15-01-2019, 15:52   #22

Here is the compatibility guide. Note Ipad 2018 is 4th gen, the retina version.

https://dbe2w38xsulyl.cloudfront.net...ide_170614.pdf

Also note the optimizations for it.

https://www.navionics.com/usa/blog/p...n-hd-for-ipad/
Old 16-01-2019, 03:07   #23

Boat: Valiant 42

iPad devices only have internal GPS with cellular version. it has been this way always. The GPS works without a cellular contract or any contact with a cellular network. So it will provide a position fix anywhere on earth.

Assisted GPS is for when the cellular network is available. Then the network knows the approximate location of the device. With that information the time to acquire an initial position fix is greatly reduced. Sometime it can take an iPad GPS receiver without cell service a minute or two before it can make the first fix after turning on location services. Internal GPS draws a lot of power from the battery so assisted GPS basically is a feature to save battery. But it only works when there are cellular sites nearby and you must pay for cellular service as well.

Many people use apps on tablets for voyage planning. No need for GPS to do that.

But experienced cruisers generally end up feeding all boat data such as AIS, GPS, weather data, engine data, water data and even radar through a wifi access point. This is not expensive. Then every device on board can use that data. And none of those devices have to waste power firing up an internal GPS receiver. These days, AIS information is every bit as important as GPS. It's great to know where you are but your eyes can tell you that. It's even better to know where are the big ships over the horizon and where they are headed. AIS can give that information. So any navigation app that doesn't support AIS data should be placed lower on the priority list.

And before someone pipes up that AIS data is available on the Internet be aware that data is not real time and can't be depended upon to be as useful as one might think.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, Ipad