Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2018, 14:12   #526
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
I have actually been following that Islander 33 for a few months now, nice looking boat. Fits everything we think would be ideal, except only has one quarter birth. The dinette converts to a double birth but I think its important on a smallish boat to have at least some small space that is yours.

So when were looking that's always something on my mind for the two kids. Even a little quarter birth that is entirely there space seems like a good idea. It really makes me wish they used the same layout of the Islander 30 on the 32 or 33 and I cant figure out why this doesn't seem to be a more popular layout. I guess most folks just don't need them and prefer more storage space. The small family cruiser isn't often seen in the layout we think ideal I guess.
its the u shape galley for offshore work .
Old 15-03-2018, 15:36   #527

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
its the u shape galley for offshore work .
Ahh noted.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 00:53   #528

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
I looked at the link, beautiful boat to be certain. Not sure what a coffin birth is though. I am still looking around but haven't found pictures of it yet.
Sorry, In saying "aft coffin cabin" I meant a small cabin entered from the cockpit separate from the main cabin. The aft cabin has two quarter-berths and room for sleeping and sitting, but not standing.
Old 16-03-2018, 04:35   #529

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Sorry, In saying "aft coffin cabin" I meant a small cabin entered from the cockpit separate from the main cabin. The aft cabin has two quarter-berths and room for sleeping and sitting, but not standing.
Hey no worries, I do really like that design. I only found tow halberg rassy 35's for sale both were outside the US. Really nice boats
Old 16-03-2018, 06:44   #530
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Hey no worries, I do really like that design. I only found tow halberg rassy 35's for sale both were outside the US. Really nice boats
Here's 3 in the US:

rasmus (Sail) Boats For Sale
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 07:02   #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Here's 3 in the US:

rasmus (Sail) Boats For Sale
Perfect thanks for the link.
Old 16-03-2018, 07:21   #532

1981 Gulfstar 44, Latis. I just acquired her last October from the Original Owner. I was not even in the market for a boat, as I had a 1984 Nauticat 33 I was fixing up, but a broker friend of mine told me she was going to come on the market and that I needed to take a look at her before she went up for sale, and that I would not regret it. The PO kept her in pristine shape, and had her totally refit about 10 years ago. New Engine, genset, mast, rigging, sails, rebuilt the aft cabin to be a centerline queen, new headliner throughout, SS ports and hatches, dodger, lighting, wiring, plumbing....list goes on. She had been kept in a heated shed every winter and brightwork was kept up professionally. I can't afford that, so I will have to get good at Varnishing. According to the yard she was kept in, the guy loved the boat and even though he had the means to buy a new $2-3M sailboat, he decided to put $600k into this one and keep her since she was part of the family. I have looked at enough old boats over the years to know that one this well kept of this age does not come along often, so I took the plunge and made an offer, which was accepted after a little back and forth. I guess its true, timing and luck are everything.

The survey came back very favorable, so the Wife and I brought her home from Connecticut to the Chesapeake last October and I can't wait to spend the summer on her.

Not sure why some of the pics keep coming out sideways....they are not that way in my photo library....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_5330.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	166479   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_5302.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	166480  

Name:	IMG_1931.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	166481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1965.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	166482  

Name:	IMG_1943.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	166483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2656.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	166484  

tausap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 07:44   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausap View Post
1981 Gulfstar 44, Latis. I just acquired her last October from the Original Owner. I was not even in the market for a boat, as I had a 1984 Nauticat 33 I was fixing up, but a broker friend of mine told me she was going to come on the market and that I needed to take a look at her before she went up for sale, and that I would not regret it. The PO kept her in pristine shape, and had her totally refit about 10 years ago. New Engine, genset, mast, rigging, sails, rebuilt the aft cabin to be a centerline queen, new headliner throughout, SS ports and hatches, dodger, lighting, wiring, plumbing....list goes on. She had been kept in a heated shed every winter and brightwork was kept up professionally. I can't afford that, so I will have to get good at Varnishing. According to the yard she was kept in, the guy loved the boat and even though he had the means to buy a new $2-3M sailboat, he decided to put $600k into this one and keep her since she was part of the family. I have looked at enough old boats over the years to know that one this well kept of this age does not come along often, so I took the plunge and made an offer, which was accepted after a little back and forth. I guess its true, timing and luck are everything.

The survey came back very favorable, so the Wife and I brought her home from Connecticut to the Chesapeake last October and I can't wait to spend the summer on her.

Not sure why some of the pics keep coming out sideways....they are not that way in my photo library....
Beautiful boat.
Old 24-05-2018, 09:46   #534

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I see folks are joining the plastic classic social group again but haven’t posted their greetings yet! Better get on that right away!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 09:51   #535

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausap View Post

What a beautiful boat, I can see why you bought her even when you weren’t in the market! Maybe one of the best all around cruisers ever??
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 02:16   #536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hang in there, and if you can find someone else with a C50 who you can get a ride with, just to remind you what a great craft you will have when you are done. It also really helps to sail SOMETHING while you are working on your own. Once you get that boat out and galloping you'll know why you did it! And you do have one that can really gallop! Keep those photos coming!
That is an absolutely beautiful design, beautiful!
Old 25-05-2018, 02:19   #537

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
I just thought I'd throw in an update. I finished stripping off the old non-skid, which was around 200 Sq. Ft., and I am about to start the arduous task of sanding down to as close to fair as I can before I start the filling and fairing epoxy work. I used a Fein Multi-master with a smooth blade to remove the treadmaster, it worked really well. Using a heat gun just took forever to work, and well, it made the closed in area quite hot.

I do still need to finish stripping off all of the deck hardware, which I will start this coming week as well.

I cannot wait to see her finished, I love the shape and size of this old girl.
Old 25-05-2018, 04:14   #538

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Don/406...
Just a short update...
Soda blasted the bottom.
Finished refinishing all interior doors and drawers.
Painted the boom and spreaders, all new hardware, and new spreader lights.
Turtle hatch almost finished restoration.
Boom Gallows restored.
Interiors of storage spaces and chain locker underway.
Lazarette Hatch restored and refinished.

Just for starters...this is just a partial listing. Michigan winters made working on the boat in the winter impossible, too cold, too much snow.
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/279VfJ4]
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/279VfLi]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2585LGR]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/VLZfAA]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XFJQAJ]
Old 25-05-2018, 05:42   #539

Lovely work, she is coming along wonderfully. I hope my wood work comes out half that nice. I had to look for a couple of those boats for sale to show the wife, she thought it was a beautiful design. I cannot get over the beauty of the 60's boats.

Anyway, I found a countess for 50k out on the west coast and man they are just lovely and with that much waterline im sure they are quick. Anyway I hope we run into you on the water some day when both of our classics and are both finished.

were a much smaller but if we ever run across each other don't be a stranger. I am hoping to meet up with NewHaul and Don out on the water when we have our old girl together, seems like lots of nice folks here and helpful too.

look forward to further updates as you progress
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0425.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	170479   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0299.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	170480  

Old 25-05-2018, 09:51   #540

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Lovely work, she is coming along wonderfully. I hope my wood work comes out half that nice. I had to look for a couple of those boats for sale to show the wife, she thought it was a beautiful design. I cannot get over the beauty of the 60's boats.

Anyway, I found a countess for 50k out on the west coast and man they are just lovely and with that much waterline im sure they are quick. Anyway I hope we run into you on the water some day when both of our classics and are both finished.

were a much smaller but if we ever run across each other don't be a stranger. I am hoping to meet up with NewHaul and Don out on the water when we have our old girl together, seems like lots of nice folks here and helpful too.

look forward to further updates as you progress
Thanks for the kind note...you just gotta love old classic glass. If you are ever in the Great Lakes(Lake Michigan) I'm your man...but till then it's OPB's and working on my fair lady....

Nice Columbia yourself!! Got any restoration pictures??