Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 13:27   #331

Boat: couple of Grampians 23,26,30
Re: Got a plastic classic?

I guess because I own a Grampian 30...I have a classic plastic
......although at the rate I am replacing original fibreglass. ...not sure how much of the "classic" will remain
sbsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 09:14   #332

Click image for larger version

Name:	1476547767254.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	132898

This is my Foxhound 24. Built by Copeland on the Isle of Wight around 1975 to 1980.
Has a direct drive Dolfin engine. The engine is a bit querky as you have to stop it and then reverse the engine to go astern.
Soton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 14:17   #333

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Interesting engine! What a simple concept. Big ships are similar, with direct revesing diesel two strokes, never heard of it in a small petrol engine, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-10-2016, 15:09   #334

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Interesting engine! What a simple concept. Big ships are similar, with direct revesing diesel two strokes, never heard of it in a small petrol engine, thanks.

Had the same setup on our old 16 footer clinker. The engine was a Blaxland Twin Pup from memory.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-10-2016, 15:43   #335

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:

Ben. I've always wondered: in such ships, when making way, can they stop and restart the engine(s) in reverse, as in the proverbial crash stop to avoid running into something? Seems that t he torque from t he propellers would be hard to overcome...

Jim

BTW, I do know that the term "crash stop" is not descriptive when applied to a ship!
Old 15-10-2016, 16:19   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soton View Post
Attachment 132898

This is my Foxhound 24. Built by Copeland on the Isle of Wight around 1975 to 1980.
Has a direct drive Dolfin engine. The engine is a bit querky as you have to stop it and then reverse the engine to go astern.
That is a sweet boat. The engine reminds me of the 65' Tugs I worked in the Army. Air start in one direction then stop and the cam would shift when started in the other. Great as long as I didn't screw up and run the air pressure too low.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 17:09   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ben. I've always wondered: in such ships, when making way, can they stop and restart the engine(s) in reverse, as in the proverbial crash stop to avoid running into something? Seems that t he torque from t he propellers would be hard to overcome...

Jim

BTW, I do know that the term "crash stop" is not descriptive when applied to a ship!
No chance. Our ships P&O containers, then P&O Nedlloyd, now incorporated into the Maersk supercompany ran at around 18-19 knots. Nowdays they are comsidered babies (2000-4000 TEU) We couldn't start the engine in reverse until about 6 knots from memory. Even then we occasionally missed, and couldn't get the engine to start (first go at any rate). That got interesting coming into a berth...

The quickest way to pull them up was to put the helm hard over. In that case our advance (distance ahead ) was typically about 1 Nm and approximately our turning circle was similar.

With a complete engine failure (usually due to a blackout or genset overload) at full sea speed we would run about 7 nm or depending on a lot of factors, being completely NUC with no rudder all the while, slowly turning one way or another.. Had this happen a few times on the older ships. The newer one ran shaft generators which helped prevent this.

In a true crash stop the engines were best slowed down at a certain rate to prevent the props cavitating, and the rudder would be fishtailed to slow her down. Probably pull her up in two miles or so, but we never tried it. Certainly the engineering dept would have something nasty to say about the OOW (officer of the watch) in this case! When FAOP (full away on passage) the engine revs are fixed and various economisers and stuff relied on the engine exhaust gasses to to drive certain engineering stuff. Touching the revs without giving the engineers time (usually 20 mins notice, but I've seen them do it in 10) to start up auxiliary boilers and all the extra stuff was a good way to cause a few pages worth of alarms and a couple of pissed off engineers in the best case.
Old 15-10-2016, 17:22   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
That is a sweet boat. The engine reminds me of the 65' Tugs I worked in the Army. Air start in one direction then stop and the cam would shift when started in the other. Great as long as I didn't screw up and run the air pressure too low.
Yes that was exactly how the big ones on our ships worked. From memory it was about six starts in the air start tanks. Compressors would run and top them up, but if a pilot got too excited berthing he could chew through the air pretty quickly...
Old 15-10-2016, 19:29   #339

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Question Re: Got a plastic classic?

I've got a question about our Cheoy Lee.
The boat reportedly was built in 1976. She has been pretty heavily cruised and has gone around twice.

When we purchased the boat she was in storage and pretty tightly packed. My BF noted an area on the hull that looked as though there had been a repair. We pointed it out to the surveyor and he c was not concerned.

We were just at the boat and had her in the work yard so I got a better view. In certain light there is nothing obvious but as t h e light shifted I could see that there was an uneven very shallow dimple at each midships chain plate. I can't begin the guess t h e size but looked like pie plate size from 12 feet below.

My BF thinKS that this is normal compression from the chain plates caused over a slow creep of 40 years. My question is, could this be caused by too tight rigging? Sadly, I did not get pictures.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?
Old 15-10-2016, 23:34   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
No cam to shift on this. It's a ported two stroke. Petrol / oil mix of 32/1. It has two sets of points and a switch to select the set in use. Such a simple engine there is little to go wrong. Also it only weighs 40 kg. I briefly thought about copying it on a comercial basis but it most probably would not meet the emissions standards needed now for a new engine.
Old 15-10-2016, 23:55   #341

Boat: Seafarer 29

We have a 1974 Seafarer 29. Pretty much derelict when we got her, but structurally sound. We are restoring what we can. Came with a 1976 15hp Johnson outboard, which we do have running now. We are enjoying the process, but you know what they say about free boats...

moepitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 03:38   #342

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Hello, we sail and liveaboard a 1966 Allied Seawind Sloop. We completed a recent major refit and are back out cruising. A lot of awesome boats in this thread, love the pictures! Any other Seawinders out there?

www.sailingdawntreader.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1476613818.515485.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	132934Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1476613845.508757.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	132935Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1476613901.788219.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	132936Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1476613929.984621.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	132937
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 04:00   #343

Quote:
Yes that was exactly how the big ones on our ships worked. From memory it was about six starts in the air start tanks. Compressors would run and top them up, but if a pilot got too excited berthing he could chew through the air pretty quickly...
As I recall 6 starts in rapid succession was about right. That "Oh $hit" moment when the chuff didn't happen and the psst did was always exciting. On the plus side it certainly taught you how to plan ahead.
Old 16-10-2016, 04:05   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soton View Post
No cam to shift on this. It's a ported two stroke. Petrol / oil mix of 32/1. It has two sets of points and a switch to select the set in use. Such a simple engine there is little to go wrong. Also it only weighs 40 kg. I briefly thought about copying it on a comercial basis but it most probably would not meet the emissions standards needed now for a new engine.
As I consider replacing my Atomic 4 in the next few years that type of engine would be near the top of my list. Direct drive from the engine crankshaft being a huge weight and maintenance advantage. I assume that is how it is set up. Less stuff = less stuff to break is an advantage I look for.
Old 16-10-2016, 05:58   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
Hello, we sail and liveaboard a 1966 Allied Seawind Sloop. We completed a recent major refit and are back out cruising. A lot of awesome boats in this thread, love the pictures! Any other Seawinders out there?

www.sailingdawntreader.com

Attachment 132934Attachment 132935Attachment 132936Attachment 132937
What a nice tidy boat. Obviously you have put a lot of work into it. Currently I am at the utilitarian end of the spectrum but your boat gives me something to aspire to.