Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2016, 12:45   #301

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I do not have any skills in posting pics on the thread but I just uploaded a pic of Gitana after Newton. Our CheoyLee Offshore 38 came through the storm like she was born for it. (just lucky). She even still has her resident bird nest in the spreaders. If you take a look, Gitana is in the center.
Glad to hear she's ok! If you use the little paperclip at the top of the box when you are posting, it will ask to browse for the pic. If you put a copy of the pic on the desktop it is easy to find and then push "upload" and then submit and it should work. BTW my good friend has a Cheoy Lee 30 (Luders) right next to my boat. Great boat!
post at: Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Plastic Classics
also!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 13:32   #302

Boat: 1966 Bristol 39 Yawl Hull #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMidgette View Post
I'd like to join in with my 1966 Bristol Centerboard Yawl, Bristol Hull #13.
Here's a pic of Luna Blu, then Belle One, ca. 1969 taken in the New England area and a more recent picture. Hull paint has changed from her original Ted Hood robin egg blue to midnight blue and her rig has been morphed from sloop to yawl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BELLEONE_c1969_1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	131420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Luna Blu in slip in Hampton VA.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	131421  

KeithMidgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 15:28   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMidgette View Post
Here's a pic of Luna Blu, then Belle One, ca. 1969 taken in the New England area and a more recent picture. Hull paint has changed from her original Ted Hood robin egg blue to midnight blue and her rig has been morphed from sloop to yawl.
Absolutely beautiful boat! Be sure to post some photos over at
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Plastic Classics
Thanks!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 19-09-2016, 15:48   #304

Hey folks, great to see so many adding their names to the group, but don't forget to post a greeting and some photos if you have a boat. Boat ownership is not a requirement, however. And boats do not have to be in bristol condition! (Lord knows mine isn't...)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 28-09-2016, 17:10   #305

Well, if I lived in SoCal and was in the market for a nice little classic....
Classic 1962 Columbia 29 For Sale
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 28-09-2016, 21:11   #306
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't own a Classic Plastic yet, but I admire them, and will likely have one in the future.

Here is a beautiful 1964 Rhodes Reliant I saw today. From the photos in the listing, it appears to have been given good care.

It is for sale. Check out the brightwork. Must love varnishing.

1964 Rhodes Reliant 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0283.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	131977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0282.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	131980  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 11:44   #307

Boat: Pearson 365

I'm an occasional poster and a frequent reader with a problem....
I love plastic classics. Recently finished a restore and upgrade to a 1966 Vanguard over 10 years. Lived on it for years 4 seasons in New England. Absolutely love the boat.
Fast forward 10 years, met a woman. A reasonable one. She's a trooper, but for some reason she objected to sleeping on my dinette table in the salon. I don't know why, the boat has a starboard galley so you can literally make coffee without getting out of bed, its a great convenience, but she's a keeper actually they are BOTH keepers- so I gave the Vanguard to my daughter who is in grad school so I get to keep and maintain my little sloop (and pay for it) until she graduates while restoring my new to me Pearson 365 sloop. The 365 has been a revelation, a huge vberth and cabin-a walk in shower, 150 gallons of water a fridge and freezer-davits!

So, I now sail at 7 knots instead of six and I sleep in a vberth instead of on a table. I have 150 gallons of water instead of forty and the 365 cockpit is so much more comfortable. The 365 is actually easier to sail with a furling main.

The 365 seems more like a tool or appliance to me-a very good one mind you, but its more utilitarian than the Vanguard. I want to cruise, so I believe it was a sound choice. Still, when I drive away from the boat yard, my gaze always goes to the little Rhodes designed sloop.
I know I'm an addict-its nice to meet kindred spirits
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0298.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	132038   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0290.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	132039  

jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 15:23   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
I'm an occasional poster and a frequent reader with a problem....
I love plastic classics. Recently finished a restore and upgrade to a 1966 Vanguard over 10 years. Lived on it for years 4 seasons in New England. Absolutely love the boat.
Fast forward 10 years, met a woman. A reasonable one. She's a trooper, but for some reason she objected to sleeping on my dinette table in the salon. I don't know why, the boat has a starboard galley so you can literally make coffee without getting out of bed, its a great convenience, but she's a keeper actually they are BOTH keepers- so I gave the Vanguard to my daughter who is in grad school so I get to keep and maintain my little sloop (and pay for it) until she graduates while restoring my new to me Pearson 365 sloop. The 365 has been a revelation, a huge vberth and cabin-a walk in shower, 150 gallons of water a fridge and freezer-davits!

So, I now sail at 7 knots instead of six and I sleep in a vberth instead of on a table. I have 150 gallons of water instead of forty and the 365 cockpit is so much more comfortable. The 365 is actually easier to sail with a furling main.

The 365 seems more like a tool or appliance to me-a very good one mind you, but its more utilitarian than the Vanguard. I want to cruise, so I believe it was a sound choice. Still, when I drive away from the boat yard, my gaze always goes to the little Rhodes designed sloop.
I know I'm an addict-its nice to meet kindred spirits
Oh, I think you'll find yourself among kindred spirits here, smitten with the same irrational affection for old, tippy, skinny, charming... but reliable and kindly, designs of our youth!
It 's how much they can do for us for what little, relatively, they ask of us...imo... and how lovely they are...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 01-10-2016, 13:31   #309

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

In the spirit of upgrading my oldy but goody, I thought there might be some interest in some of my DIY Septuagenarian changes to my boat:

1. raised the the rails to 36" from the cockpit forward and added a 24" intermediate railing my balance is not what it once was.
2. added a 36" rail to the trunk cabin.
3. added a mast pulpit.
4. added a "stack pack" and lazy jacks at both main and mizzen.
5. added a water deployable boarding ladder to the rail, it extends 4 steps 36" into the water.
6. added a step to the access ladder at the stern to get aboard from the dinghy at the davits, my hips don't stretch the way they used to.
7. added fins to the diesel heater pipe to distribute heat better, achy joints.
8. added a salt water wash down pump, tired of those buckets.
9. working on adding a capstan with wildcat.

I apologize for the rotated pictures they don't show that way on my computer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	132109   Click image for larger version

Name:	heaterphoto.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	132110  

Name:	IMG_0390.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	132111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	132120  

Name:	IMG_0375.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	132122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	132123  

sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 17:09   #310
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sailor1924,

Those are all sensible modifications and I think anything which allows or helps you keep sailing in your 70s is smart, and the fact that you are still sailing is admirable.

I happen to like solid rails. Some of the boats I admire have them, usually on custom metal boats, but also on Nauticats and others.

I like your drop down ladder and a mast pulpit is a smart idea too.

Thanks for posting the photos.
Right on! And, Sail on!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 17:59   #311

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

I love this thread, gives me hope. Being a new guy, what exactly is a classic plastic?. Is my Hallberg RASSY 33 in this class. I'm confused. Frankly I'm trying to discover more about my boat.

I know very little about it, I know it's a decent boat, but from a historical prospective I know nothing about the boat the company andd the Mistral 33s history.

I've been told their awesome boats, I'd like to talk to,someone who has history with one, to continue my learning.

When I see others putting time money blood sweat and tears into their boats, makes me feel good, I want what you all have.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:46   #312

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
I love this thread, gives me hope. Being a new guy, what exactly is a classic plastic?. Is my Hallberg RASSY 33 in this class. I'm confused. Frankly I'm trying to discover more about my boat.

I know very little about it, I know it's a decent boat, but from a historical prospective I know nothing about the boat the company andd the Mistral 33s history.

I've been told their awesome boats, I'd like to talk to,someone who has history with one, to continue my learning.

When I see others putting time money blood sweat and tears into their boats, makes me feel good, I want what you all have.

Dirk
It is considered a classic boat at home.

Also probably the last proper sailing HR before they started churning out the plastic tubs. Only now with takes like the 37 they started building swifter boats again.

Looking at her lines one can't say this is not a S&S of the same era. I think someone out there got 'inspired' ;-)

Plenty of info on Mistral online. Just google.

One great boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:06   #313

Thank you for the kind words regarding my Mistral. I've spent a great deal of time googling HR33 and their are some good articles. However I'm looking for a different kind of info.

I'd like to know how she moves in the water, is she fast on a reach, does she tack easily. How about beating. I'd like to know if she has any bad habits, like rounding up on steep waves.

Any known weakness, something that might be overcome with work and a bit of upgrades.
I'm reluctant to redress her lines as they are pure sexy. These boats are simply beautiful,as they came.

I'm battling my conscience right now, with silly questions like Bimini or not, dodger, or not. Solar panels, and monitor related steering add ons.

I'm trying to balance in my mind a classic look, and functionality. I know it's silly, it's just how my mind works.

I don't want to do any add ons, that distract from the pure, natural sail-ability of this old classic.

It's been my observation that many boats end up with nothing but clutter on their decks, look like a sailboat shopping mall.

I seek that balance between new and old, classic and functional.

Thanks for your input.

Dirk Williams
Old 02-10-2016, 08:17   #314

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

In my opinion a wind vane and Dodger would not be a detraction at all. In way it's completing the look of a long distance cruiser. Solar panels too!
Because, really these things aren't about "looks" of course. They serve a purpose and function. To me, pupose and function, is what a nice cruiser should be about.
But I do agree there are times when the deck clutter is excessive. But I think you will find, if your really look into it, some deck clutter is inevitable on a smaller boat and the extreme clutter bugs rarely move their boats.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:20   #315

Sorry, I had another thought, again being new, I'm concerned about add on weight, aft. I already have my self steer gear, and a solar system,,with a aluminum tower being fabricated.

That being said, all this weight goes on the stern, that has to impact in some fashion handling. I know it's only maybe 200 lbs, but how do I balance out the Center of gravity, I don't want a stern heavy boat, with the bow, " nose up".

Also the weight is " tall/high" on the boat. Adding to a top heavy situation. All the add ons I'd like to eventually incorporate will add an additional 300/500 pounds of weight to the boat. Again it is logical to assume, this top weight will impact the boat performance in some manner.

I know this isn't a sports car, but I want to feel her in her natural trim, how she handles, how she responds in all conditions and weather.

By asking questions it is my hope, that I learn from others mistakes. I don't want to Swiss cheese my boat with thru deck holes, and find out I made a huge mistake.

Same with a propane heater. I'm going to need one, as I'm in the PNW, at this point I'm leaning towards propane, as it's cleaner and easier to manage. Again with the addition of the heater, I've got to drill holes. Holes leak, I don't like leaks.

Thanks for letting my think out loud.

Dirk