Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2015, 23:45   #76

Boat: 1971 cal 27
Re: Going Green Nature Composting toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
oh no. you misunderstand. it is thoroughly legal to actually pee in the water. you just can't pee in a bucket and toss it in the water. something about the interaction of the urine with the bucket that makes it toxic in the environment. that's why it's ok for fish and turtles and snakes and crocs and whales and crabs and...well...anything at all, really, to piss in the water. no bucket!

i agree with you. then again, on the other hand, if the population of people pissing in the water at one time grows too large, i guess it might create an issue. but, then, population is the real criminal in most pollution issues.
sorry or the missing 'f's you may ind in my posts. my ucking computer doesn't seem to like that letter very much.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 11:07   #77

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
as dirt. i believe that's his point. all the dirt that covers this planet started life as either someone or something's crap or someone or something's corpse.
If that's true, the first life lived in space, devoid of earth and the crap built up to form our planet?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 16:27   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
If that's true, the first life lived in space, devoid of earth and the crap built up to form our planet?

so, you think the big bang happened and out popped this planet, covered in fertile soil and vast oceans all ready for life to just happen?

this planet didn't start out as a ball of dirt and water. it started as a ball of molten rock. oceans and dirt came later. it took billions of years for microbes to make the planet fit for plants and plants to make it fit for animals.

when plants and animals die they decompose and turn to dirt.

it's a fact.

after millions of years of that process, if the dirt we are walking on isn't the result of that decomposition, then where did all the dirt from all those bodies and all that crap actually go? do they have some sort of cosmic clean up service that stops by every thursday to sweep out the 'new' dirt to keep all that original fertile soil that just happened to form around this particular planet from getting contaminated with all that lousy 'new' dirt?
Old 18-10-2015, 17:19   #79

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

That begs one more question. Where did the ball of molten rock come from?
I know, I know, from the big bang. But where did the original "big bang stuff" come from?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 18:04   #80

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I know, I know, from the big bang. But where did the original "big bang stuff" come from?
I was worried we were getting off-topic, but then you brought it back with mention of "Big Bangs!" I usually know where my Big Bangs come from while sitting on my composting toilet early the next morning .

Old 18-10-2015, 20:09   #81

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Seems to be a surprising amount of emotion around this subject.
Coincidentally I came across this video over the weekend. Gives a good idea of what it is like running an Airhead. It certainly convinced us it is not for our boat, and we remain very happy with our (non-smelling & very simple to maintain) holding tank system in each head, but these two are obviously very happy with their Airhead, so that's fine also.
Each to their own, and we all have our unique perspective. I think these guys did a good job of describing their arrangement - well worth a look, and it will help convince you one way or the other.

David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 05:49   #82

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Seems to be a surprising amount of emotion around this subject.
Coincidentally I came across this video over the weekend. Gives a good idea of what it is like running an Airhead. It certainly convinced us it is not for our boat, and we remain very happy with our (non-smelling & very simple to maintain) holding tank system in each head, but these two are obviously very happy with their Airhead, so that's fine also.
Each to their own, and we all have our unique perspective. I think these guys did a good job of describing their arrangement - well worth a look, and it will help convince you one way or the other.

To be fair, if I had to pull the head out of the boat every time it needed emptying I might not have gone with a composting head. Luckily with the C-Head all you do is lift the lid & pull out the bucket. Regarding your sanitation system being simple to maintain, it would be hard to be simpler than a C-Head. No through hulls, hoses, pump, seals, tank, anti-syphon, etc.. Regarding smell, the typical marine sanitation system does smell although most people just get used to it. Composting heads do not smell.

Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 07:32   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Regarding smell, the typical marine sanitation system does smell although most people just get used to it.
If the "typical" marine sanitation system smells it is only because the typical marine sanitation is not functioning properly. A very modest amount of regular maintenance (mainly making sure the vents are working) and a "normal" MSD does not smell. And, of course, ventilation has to be maintained on composting heads, too.

I realize that people want to believe that they made the right choice, and that is why so many put so much effort into trying to find something wrong with the choices made by other people. Human nature. I get it.

The fact is, though, that composting heads and ordinary MSDs both work just fine. Neither one creates any more pollution than the other. Properly maintained, neither one will smell any more than the other. Overall, the level of maintenance required is nearly identical. It is just a matter of personal preference.

You pays your money and makes your choice. And then, apparently (not directing this at you, Scout 30, but in general), you are required to criticize the choice made by everyone else.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 08:21   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
If the "typical" marine sanitation system smells it is only because the typical marine sanitation is not functioning properly. A very modest amount of regular maintenance (mainly making sure the vents are working) and a "normal" MSD does not smell. And, of course, ventilation has to be maintained on composting heads, too.

I realize that people want to believe that they made the right choice, and that is why so many put so much effort into trying to find something wrong with the choices made by other people. Human nature. I get it.

The fact is, though, that composting heads and ordinary MSDs both work just fine. Neither one creates any more pollution than the other. Properly maintained, neither one will smell any more than the other. Overall, the level of maintenance required is nearly identical. It is just a matter of personal preference.

You pays your money and makes your choice. And then, apparently (not directing this at you, Scout 30, but in general), you are required to criticize the choice made by everyone else.
I'm not trying to talk anyone into getting a composting head but I do think it's important to correct misinformation so that people can make an informed decision. The amount of maintenance involved between the 2 systems is not remotely similar. Having owned several different types of marine heads over the years I know that there is quite a bit of maintenance involved with them. As an example I'll bet you have a rebuild kit for your head on board. Hope your good at it. After 5 years most hoses start to smell & eventually you have to replace them because of it. Thru hulls should be worked regularly & given a good once over when you haul as well as the hose clamps & hoses. Not to mention the anti-syphon vent which can get plugged up. Then there's y-valves that get stiff & the handle breaks. And if you think holding tanks last forever you might be in for a surprise. Just wait till a mud dauber clogs your vent & you get your tank pumped. Other than routine cleaning there's really no maintenance with a composting head. The C-Head doesn't even need a vent in a lot of cases. And no boat will ever sink because of a composting head.
Old 19-10-2015, 12:21   #85

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
...The fact is, though, that composting heads and ordinary MSDs both work just fine. Neither one creates any more pollution than the other. Properly maintained, neither one will smell any more than the other. Overall, the level of maintenance required is nearly identical. It is just a matter of personal preference.
I agree with your general thrust here. I might quibble with your maintenance comment, but in general, I agree. As I've said in other similar threads, both systems can work equally well. Both have their strengths and their weaknesses. Which type will work best for you and your crew depends on your specific needs.

Having lived with both types I can say with certainty that for us, a composting head is one of the best improvements we've made to our little cruising vessel. I now believe it is the best option for two-person cruising crews, but not everyone will have the same needs as we do. And that's fine.

BTW, on my list of benefits to go with a composter, I've never included being more "green." That depends on how you deal with the end product. It's certainly possible for either system to be environmentally benign. It all depends on where and how the final product is dealt with.
Old 19-10-2015, 16:15   #86

Quote:

The Jatravartids of Viltvodle VI believe that the Universe was sneezed out the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure. (Doug Adams from Milliways, the restaurant at the end of the universe. if you haven't read it you should have )
Old 19-10-2015, 16:19   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
And no boat will ever sink because of a composting head.

yeah, and that's crappy reason for your boat to sink
Old 19-10-2015, 17:02   #88

Quote:
yeah, and that's crappy reason for your boat to sink
Absolutely! BoatUS should give a break on insurance for composting heads. 2 less holes in your boat has to be a good thing.
Old 19-10-2015, 17:29   #89
cruiser

Using a composting head is no more "green" than my cat using her litter box.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 17:58   #90
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Using a composting head is no more "green" than my cat using her litter box.
Friends in the Keys have actually trained their cats to use the standard marine head. So is that more green than cats trained to use a composting head or is the opposite true?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, posting