Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 09:46   #151

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Going Green Nature Composting toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
...Dolphins don't poo? Whales don't poo? Fish don't poo? Plankton don't poo? Yeah right.

I don't think they use cat litter, earth closets, or marine heads either.

... and we even NEED trace amounts of many so called 'poisons', like Arsenic, for example...
Not sure, but I believe the main issue with human sewage is that the slurry is a breeding ground for pathogens harmful to human health.

Fecal pollution of water

Persistence and Differential Survival of Fecal Indicator Bacteria in Subtropical Waters and Sediments
Old 02-11-2015, 10:02   #152

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks! I will make good use of this list.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
You are in Victoria, right? There are 7 microbreweries within walking distance of you - no need to have any of that American rubbish
Old 02-11-2015, 10:18   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
You are in Victoria, right? There are 7 microbreweries within walking distance of you - no need to have any of that American rubbish
American Rubbish?!!! Thems fightin words Amigo... I'd suggest you remain north of the border or Boneyard Beer - Let It Be Known Home - Boneyard Beer - Let It Be Known may take on a new meaning...
Old 02-11-2015, 10:25   #154
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

I will just let our local ales and stouts speak for themselves about Canadian " beers"
Mike when its all said and done we expect a thread about your personal favorite beers by area that you stop and partake in.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:32   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Not sure, but I believe the main issue with human sewage is that the slurry is a breeding ground for pathogens harmful to human health.

Fecal pollution of water

Persistence and Differential Survival of Fecal Indicator Bacteria in Subtropical Waters and Sediments
Thanks for posting some actual research jkindredpdx. This is the issue that continues to confuse me ... I believe in the whole "solution to pollution is dilution" approach. I get that salty waters can be toxic to pathogens found in human feces. But if you understand these two points, then you have to accept that at some level of concentration, dilution is no longer possible. In enclosed low-flow anchorages or isolated marinas, how can you continue dump and forget?

Quote:
That's right alctel, and I've been enjoying the local brews. We're heading across the border soon, over to Washington and Oregon. I gather there's plenty of good beer to sample down there as well. I will certainly continue to avoid the bubbly water labeled "beer" that can be found all over the world -- it's not just an American problem.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:45   #156

I confess I was poking the hive with a stick there - I've had a lot of extremely nice WA/OR beers (although the current zeitgeist down there seems to be using a lot of hops, which I'm not too thrilled about)
Old 02-11-2015, 10:54   #157

I've never taken this tour BREWVANA: The Ultimate Craft Beer Tour Experience. and don't necessarily agree with this top 10 list The Best 10 Breweries in Downtown, Portland, OR... rumor has it there are 60+ breweries in Stumptown now and Bend, OR with pop. 80,000 has over 25 breweries Beer me Bend! | Craft Breweries in Bend, Oregon | Cheers! That's a lot of future urine container contents.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:09   #158

Quote:
I confess I was poking the hive with a stick there - I've had a lot of extremely nice WA/OR beers (although the current zeitgeist down there seems to be using a lot of hops, which I'm not too thrilled about)
Hmmm. True that IPA's are currently very popular down here...

"Cannabaceae is a small family of flowering plants... including Cannabis (hemp, marijuana), Humulus (hops)..."

do you think there could be a connection?
Old 02-11-2015, 11:21   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Mike when its all said and done we expect a thread about your personal favorite beers by area that you stop and partake in.
I would love to try this newhaul. I've actually started a blog thing, purely for friends and family, but perhaps I should start a "Life = Beer" section. The problem is, I don't think I can afford it . Remember, I'm one of the "$500/month" crowd.

If I could only find some wealthy sponsors. Or maybe I should start a crowd-sourced funding drive. Think I could convince enough people to "fund me" so I could drink good beer all over the continent?
Old 02-11-2015, 11:32   #160

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
I would love to try this newhaul. I've actually started a blog thing, purely for friends and family, but perhaps I should start a "Life = Beer" section. The problem is, I don't think I can afford it . Remember, I'm one of the "$500/month" crowd.

If I could only find some wealthy sponsors. Or maybe I should start a crowd-sourced funding drive. Think I could convince enough people to "fund me" so I could drink good beer all over the continent?
I've seen "Go Fund Me" sites for less interesting reasons. If someone is truly interested in the results of your "research" maybe it would be worth actually buying you a brew to get your opinion.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:32   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

At least here on the west coast you could try for free beer in exchange for sea stories and shanties lol
Old 02-11-2015, 11:42   #162
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You could always send a well written proposal to the brew masters association of america outlining your plan to sample beers from all over the nation and then do a blog of your opinions and results .

Welcome to the Master Brewers Association of Americas
Old 02-11-2015, 11:49   #163

Quote:

If you come to Portland, I'd be happy to buy a few pints. I'd like a guide to good brew pubs within walking distance of west coast marinas & moorages...
Old 02-11-2015, 12:09   #164

You guys/gals are great. Clearly I should have come to this brain trust earlier so I could have made better plans. Kinda late to be begging for alms now. Maybe next season .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
If you come to Portland, I'd be happy to buy a few pints. I'd like a guide to good brew pubs within walking distance of west coast marinas & moorages...
Thanks Jim, that's very kind of you. And watch out ... I just may take you up on it. I was planning to bypass Portland and stick to the coast (highway 101), but free beer is always an enticement .
Old 02-11-2015, 12:23   #165

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

"Metallic lead" from hunters' bullets is toxic to California condors when they eat carcasses.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, posting