Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 10:47   #76
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Going around a broker

As has been stated by many actual brokers, it is common.

And they would not do so unless it was in their interest.

Many boats would literally **never** sell at their current listed price.

Velocity of money is just as important as if not more so, than holding to a price level when it comes to wealth generation.

Just as lowering margins increasing volume can be a hugely winning strategy.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:57   #77
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Yep, it's all about "doing the deal" - apparently...
Make someone else take a cut, better than me having to fork out more...

Dunno if the irony is understood or not...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:08   #78

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yep, it's all about "doing the deal" - apparently...
Make someone else take a cut, better than me having to fork out more...

Dunno if the irony is understood or not...
I'm not sure what the irony is. The boat is worth what a willing buyer and willing seller agree on. If you want to pay full asking price and tip the broker an extra 10 grand that's your call.
The market for an individual boat is small enough that all terms are negotiable. A broker that doesn't know that isn't going to have a long career. They might be better working in a non-commission job.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:14   #79

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Pretty simple. You came to see the boat as a result of advertising by the broker?
That means the broker brought you to the seller. They earned their commission.

If you want to negotiate directly with the seller, and the seller will talk to you, no problem, but the broker had already earned their commission when you walked down the dock, if you buy the boat.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:19   #80

Boat: Nonsuch 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless guy View Post
I am considering approaching the owner about dealing without a broker as we could both benefit from this. I have done this with real estate with good success in the past so don't see why it would not work here. Is there some sort of etiquette here??
You were talking to the owner while waiting for the broker to show up. So you found the boat through the broker's ad or listing and you arranged with him to show it to you. Sorry, but contractually and ethically the seller owes the commission to the broker. If you can't agree on a price that includes the broker's fee, then move on.

The seller contracted with the broker to sell the boat. Selling the boat requires the broker to spend a lot of time and money. They don't work for free. Do you? Where did you get the money to buy this boat if you think it is appropriate to work for free? Just because you once cheated some realtor doesn't make it right.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:26   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversailor View Post
I'm not sure that Stainless is attempting to stiff the broker as much as trying to make a deal without the broker interfering.
He was pretty explicit that he wants to cut out the broker to get a better price. He wants us to somehow validate that. I, for one, do not. (I'm not, nor have I ever been a broker.)
Old 12-10-2018, 09:39   #82
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

In post #32 on this thread I believe Stainless was quite clear on his second thoughts after reading reasonable responses to his original post. I for one, in today's climate, am quite relieved and proud to see that there are still some people left that can still listen to both sides of a point, use their own personal reason, and still be able to change their minds for the betterment of themselves and others.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:41   #83
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The point has already been made, many dozens of times, and with appropriate levels of finger-wagging.

Now all the fingers needs to wagged at those breaking forum rules with inappropriately uncivil vehemence.

Perhaps the thread has outlived its usefulness?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:41   #84

There would be no brokers if everyone was like you. They would starve to death
BernBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:57   #85

As an ex real estate broker I’m wondering if I’m not hearing something from the original post that I don’t think has been really addressed.
If everyone is agreeable, including the listing broker, the listing broker and seller can cancel the listing agreement. I have done that a few times for friends or just to help out someone who really needs it.
Yes it means I am not paid for the work I have done. But it is my choice. I admit I wouldn’t do that if I had spent a lot of money on marketing or a hundreds of hours on the deal. But brokers can bow out to facilitate a sale. Usually I ask for some compensation to cover my expenses and time. So I’m made whole but don’t make a profit.
Rare but not unheard of.

Clarke Gillespie
Clarkegillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:10   #86

Boat: Kadey-Krogen 42

I am a yacht broker. So I read a lot of what’s here to get some context (and happily, affirmation). Glad to see the pretty universal condemnations. Yacht sales works pretty much the same as house sales.

May I suggest that buyers should concentrate on the broker they want representing them, in addition to the boats (or houses)? Then you might actually be in the best situation of all. The right boat, bought through a broker that really represented YOU. We do exist, even if we are being paid by the seller.
BoatGuyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:59   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
In post #32 on this thread I believe Stainless was quite clear on his second thoughts after reading reasonable responses to his original post.
Yeah. Sorry. Mine was part of a deluge of posts, so I didn't see it. I'm glad he saw the error of his ways. We all make mistakes.
Old 12-10-2018, 14:38   #88
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkegillespie View Post
As an ex real estate broker I’m wondering if I’m not hearing something from the original post that I don’t think has been really addressed.
If everyone is agreeable, including the listing broker, the listing broker and seller can cancel the listing agreement. I have done that a few times for friends or just to help out someone who really needs it.
Yes it means I am not paid for the work I have done. But it is my choice. I admit I wouldn’t do that if I had spent a lot of money on marketing or a hundreds of hours on the deal. But brokers can bow out to facilitate a sale. Usually I ask for some compensation to cover my expenses and time. So I’m made whole but don’t make a profit.
Rare but not unheard of.

Clarke Gillespie
Nice first post and worth waiting for
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 15:00   #89
Marine Service Provider

Gotta love it....Broker gets a listing Agreement with the Seller...Broker is in a "business'..this involves a lot of legwork, an office, perhaps staff and an advertising budget...forget all that, I'll just meet the Seller out back and cut the broker out of the deal....great idea, save yourself some bucks, because you will need them..you and your Seller will find yourselves in a slam dunk lawsuit... it's called " Tortious interference of contract"...haven't met a judge yet who will condone this behaviour...think, payment of commission plus penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct...as Clint said, "Go ahead, make my day ! " Willymc
Willymc61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 16:22   #90
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBear View Post
Yeah. Sorry. Mine was part of a deluge of posts, so I didn't see it. I'm glad he saw the error of his ways. We all make mistakes.

Yes we do. How we react to them defines us. You now, as did the OP, showed what you are made of. Kudos
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote