Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 08:00   #31

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Go solo, go now ... or wait a few more years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
But Solo is exhausting, I mean bone weary tired, get stupid and make mistakes because you are so tired exhausting.
Yeah, it sure can be, which is why I have my doubts.
On the other hand, I'll never know if I don't go

What I'm not sure about is if I should simply go with the boat I have (which is always the best boat ) or work a little longer for something with a little more room & comfort, which might make it a bit easier to take on a crew member at certain points.
On this boat, I'm pretty much ruling that out unless I find myself in a 'not much of a choice' situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can always complete a circumnavigation starting in Fl if that is your desire, you don't have to start in the Netherlands.
Very true, but I really want to visit the Spanish & Portuguese coast. The (very) general idea: Spain, Portugal (coastal cruising and taking my time) and if I'm still having fun > Morocco, Canaries probably, Cape Verde and ... puddle jump to the coconuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
I have picked up crew- I took on a crew once in the Bahamas and was going to sail with him all the way home back to Maryland, but decided he had to be dumped in Fort Lauderdale. C'est la vie! One word of caution- as a female, you have to be VERY careful with who you pick up as crew in your journeys. Make sure your antennae are working overtime.
Yeah, there's that too. I've already had some trouble with single sailors who seem to think that a single gal on a boat = you're welcome to come inside in the middle of the night, or plan our future (as in, what boat we're buying and how many kids) and stalk the cr*p out of me ... cos I gave him some left over beers Ended up leaving my marina and moving my boat far away to get rid of him. Sigh.

Stalker dude was actually way worse then the idiot who tried to climb in bed with me in the middle of the night, tho I am very aware that could have ended way worse then it did -- his friend noticing he was gone kinda saved the day. I also gave him a pretty good whacking with a mag-lite, but without his friend coming to the rescue ... I dunno. I try not to dwell on that.

Dutch guys aren't used to single females on a boat. There's only a handful of us. I'm thinking cruisers are way more used to seeing women solo sailing ...
Old 07-01-2016, 08:17   #32

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Yes, its hard to get along with someone on a small boat on a long ocean passage.

The question becomes...can you get along with yourself?

Can you spend hours enjoying the beauty of the waves as you surf along downwind, mile after mile? Can you enjoy a sunset without having to talk about it with someone else? Can you survive your own cooking?

My short answer to you is...Yes, you can do it. And you will love it. Go now. Don't make me quote Mark Twain!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:19   #33

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Lizzy Belle,

It sounds like you want a bigger boat for your own comfort. The real kind. Not the kind of "make do" comfort you have now. Nothing wrong with that!

In any case, why not crew with someone else for a passage and see how you like being with another? You get a trial run of having crew and a trial run of a larger boat with very little expense to you. It will answer a lot of questions without the commitment or financial outlay.

As for warmer climes - yes boat are often less expensive on this side of the pond. You could fly to St Martin or where ever and skip the Atlantic passage, but still buy a bigger boat once you arrive.

There are lots of ways to mix this up.

But I urge you to not wait too long. As I approach 50 I realize that trying to get my ducks lined up is as easy as herding cats.

So far the result is I am just older. Life is so fluid! We can't control anything, nor prepare for much because as soon as we think we have "the sure fire plan", life dishes out the unforeseen and we have to start over.

Better to do your best with what you have and not end up with regret.
At 40 I still felt pretty invincible. At nearly 50, I am starting to see how finite my time is.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:19   #34

Solo sailing is no more exhausting than sailing with a bunch of idiots. Once your in "the groove" you establish your own daily rhythm. With auto pilots and gps/radar warning systems, you will find tons of free time on your hands. Your body actually changes physically and mentally in about three to five days to an existence that is quite relaxing. Did it from Perth to Diego Garcia. Loved every minute of it.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:20   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Skip the windvane.. for around the same you can get two TP's and an Aerogen wind generator.. and possibly your standing rigging..
As I said.. keep her basic but safe till you get across and buy the stuff in SMX.. cheap.
You need the above plus Nav.. a laptop with the Nimble Navigator USB.. with an AIS linked in.. and Passage charts.
This way if by Spain you decide she Is to small your investment is minimal and restricted to whats transferable like EPIRB Lferaft Wind Gen etc.
Also.. exhaustion is often self inflicted subconciously by that buĺlshit...
'Idle hands make for devils work..'
I generally spend my days at sea reading, listening to music' preparing my meals and watching the sea and sky..occassional tweak of a sail or course adjustment.
Sleep..? I used to heave to.. but these days just reef the main at sunset then get my head down.. in the cockpit in the Tropics or the lee berth in the salon if chilly.. interspersed with P watches..😉
Way I look at it is.. if so many billions can believe in a god..
I can believe I wont be lethaĺly hit..😃
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:23   #36

Over the years, most solo sailors i met, male and females,did not go to sea to meet people, but to meet the elements and challenge themselves. For some it was a desire to get away from people.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:24   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

with the best autopilot--no, not auto helm, but auto pilot, the work is minimized but still needing attention. more time to spend on boat condition during passage and other important pastimes.
mine is hydraulic, oversized and mounted below decks on my steering quadrant.
a good electric or appropriately sized windlass is also a good thing to have. minimizes exhaustion spawned by hauling anchor and chain manually
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:24   #38

Boat: Prout

Definitely go now and go solo. If having got to Canaries there are 100s offering their services to crew if you feel the need. But choose wisely, you don't want to have your yacht confiscated because some idiot has brought their drugs on board, potential fall outs. ........and do you was to be responsible for other people on the yacht? If i drown i drown living my dream, i don't want to take anyone else to a watery grave...........swings and roundabouts. Crossing from Cape Verde Islands to Barbados only saw 2 other vessels but yes I do use ais and everything else to help out. And books can be your best friend.
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:29   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Skip the windvane.. for around the same you can get two TP's and an Aerogen wind generator.. and possibly your standing rigging..
As I said.. keep her basic but safe till you get across and buy the stuff in SMX.. cheap.
You need the above plus Nav.. a laptop with the Nimble Navigator USB.. with an AIS linked in.. and Passage charts.
This way if by Spain you decide she Is to small your investment is minimal and restricted to whats transferable like EPIRB Lferaft Wind Gen etc.
Also.. exhaustion is often self inflicted subconciously by that buĺlshit...
'Idle hands make for devils work..'
I generally spend my days at sea reading, listening to music' preparing my meals and watching the sea and sky..occassional tweak of a sail or course adjustment.
Sleep..? I used to heave to.. but these days just reef the main at sunset then get my head down.. in the cockpit in the Tropics or the lee berth in the salon if chilly.. interspersed with P watches..😉
Way I look at it is.. if so many billions can believe in a god..
I can believe I wont be lethaĺly hit..😃
Well, that is bad advice. A wind vane charging system works when its nighttime, your anchored or in a slip, and want to keep charging the batteries. But maybe the above poster really has no experience in these matters. Sure sounds like it.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:31   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
The average male lives to 78 years old. Meaning half die well before that age. So your odds of dying before reaching that age are 50% . Of course once your dead, you will not care what you did in life. Its truly a lottery. Feel lucky?
Very.
I'm female
Old 07-01-2016, 08:34   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Better to do your best with what you have and not end up with regret.
At 40 I still felt pretty invincible. At nearly 50, I am starting to see how finite my time is.
At 40 I thought there was plenty of time to do all the things I had dreamed I would definitely do in my lifetime. At 53 I see the doors rapidly closing. When you see your peers and relatives (your age) come down with situations and diseases which take over their lives, it makes you appreciate the opportunity to dream. Trying is the hardest part. Don't wait.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:35   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Very.
I'm female
The ocean doesn't care about your gender.
For everyone else, keep that big maglite handy.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:48   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The question becomes...can you get along with yourself?
I have for the past many, many years so I'm pretty confident that won't suddenly change

Quote:
It sounds like you want a bigger boat for your own comfort. The real kind. Not the kind of "make do" comfort you have now. Nothing wrong with that!
Yes, I think that's pretty much what it boils down to - didn't expect that to be honest.
I'm very happy with my lil boat and don't want to see her go, but yes - just a little comfort would be nice, like cooking a meal w/out doing boat yoga to reach the stove

Quote:
In any case, why not crew with someone else for a passage and see how you like being with another?
I grew up on boats, pretty much, and have spent at least as much time sailing with others (on my boat or theirs) -- and as always, with some people it works better then with others. But on the whole, I do better alone, in all honesty ... with the exception of a few friends + 60'ish boats.
Sometimes, a gal needs her own cabin -one with a door- so she can have some time to herself Or a night shift keeping watch - alone time, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
This way if by Spain you decide she Is to small your investment is minimal and restricted to whats transferable
That is actually pretty sound advice, esp since I want to keep the whole exercise KISS anyway, and there's little point in outfitting this boat with expensive gear I can't transfer and a next owner / my son will never need or use, and definitely not pay for.

On edit: sorry - by windvane, I meant windvane steering, not a wind generator.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:54   #44

Boat: Scout 30

If you're looking for reasons not to go you can always find them. It sounds like you're comfortable with your boat & with yourself. Don't over think this. Get your gear together, suck it up & jump!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:59   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Well, that is bad advice. A wind vane charging system works when its nighttime, your anchored or in a slip, and want to keep charging the batteries. But maybe the above poster really has no experience in these matters. Sure sounds like it.
Actually she just said windvane which I maybe incorrectly assumed to be a vane steering system..
Damn Wiki.. 😃
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote