Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 23:42   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Go solo, go now ... or wait a few more years?

As a fellow 29 foot owner, I have given your post a bit of thought. Whether you wait for the larger boat or stick with the one you have, you will still have the same puzzle of how to find that other crew member. Personally I would not pressure yourself to rush anything. If it is not right this year, go next year. You may have a bit of winter blues in your desire to get to the warmer Med right now? I think you are right about yourself, you would do better with the company, so would I. But which company? You need to find someone like yourself, but who has either equal skills/experience and or greater. Maybe someone who owns a boat but does not want to do the trip with it. Maybe a person from your neighborhood, who is known to be trustworthy of course. This person has to love sailing like you do. They have to be excited about the prospect of the trip as you are, and they have to be excited or at least happy, about doing it on someone else's fairly small boat (yours)! I could imagine you might find someone who would like a ride to the Med where they are planning to get another crew position on a bigger boat once there and they like the idea of going with you for the experience. Or maybe they have a crew position already lined up and have a few weeks to get there. I crewed once on a boat (delivery) that had come from Florida and went to Hong Kong, through the Med. There were a couple of young fellows on there from Connecticut, a young woman travelling alone from Massachusetts, a guy from England, who had hopped on in Greece and myself and two other guys from Santa Barabara, Cal. We were all under 30. It was a big boat so it could accommodate all of us easily. We all had varying degrees of experience and skills, and very different personalities, but we all got along very well. And we worked well together when things got urgent. But, strangely enough, once we left the delivery we never kept in touch with each other. And remember, you won't be on watch together so you won't necessarily be in each other's way too much. I've done a couple of longer trips with one other (friends in my case) and sometimes we hardly spoke to each other during the day, and that was fine, we both felt it was completely natural. So I think if you looked for someone that way, experienced sailor who wants/needs a ride to the Med and doesn't mind poking along on the way there, you might find a sailing partner that way. For your own peace of mind and lack of potential complications, you may want to look for a female candidate. So if you did not own a boat, where would you go to find someone like you? One caveat with this, make sure you are ready to singlehand if you need to. Your partner might want to/have to get off the boat mid-voyage; that happens. Or if you or your partner become sick/injured, both of you should be ready to singlehand at least for a few days to the nearest port. I had that issue once on a trip with buddy of mine. In those days we had no AIS or radar and we did fine. I forgot now, what is your ultimate cruising goal? Just around the Med or one spot in particular? Not sure if that helps...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:24   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

I am just not sure having to sail solo all the time is as enjoyable ...

If you wait for someone else you will never go.

So there's your choice: death without fulfilling your dreams, or, fulfilled dreams.

Easy decision for me.

The test of your questions only u can answer. U retired at 48 and I am damn lucky I did
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:33   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

lizzy do not wait. i got this boat for a song, damnnear, and decided to cruise first before refit. now i know what i wanna do to and with boat. no, not sell her--i will keep her until bubba and i are good and dead.
but i did the 3000 miles first. glad i did that.
donot listen to the boys, they donot even know what they like. it is hard to convince em to sail on the boat of a woman. something about testy tosterone...they pick a mate and then bitch bout her inability to sail or lack of desire to sail or whatever.
do vet well, as there are very few of the verbal male creatures willing to actually walk their talk, and fewer who actually know what they are trying to do out here. .
prep to sail sola. it isnt hard to do--i chose a ketch for that exact reason. i donot get overpowered in a sudden gale while underway, as we did in a sloop in gom....
there is much to consider-- but, do go while the itch is strong.

btw-if you dont mind picking up crew to go from locale to the next, it isnt difficult to find someone with whom to sail a passage....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:51   #19

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
If you think it challenging to find a compatible partner at 40 something, try waiting till you're 67! LOL!
That's the devil of waiting - it just never happens. the perfect partner is like the perfect boat: only exists after you choose one!
Haha, so true

The only reason I posted a bit about a partner is cos every time I bring up "solo or with crew" people usually respond with "you're a pretty gal, just find yourself a guy with a nice boat and go!". I know they mean well, but .. really?!?!

I'm not waiting on anyone, but I've never done any big trips solo. It's one thing to crew on a boat, or sail solo on day trips when the weather is nice.
Most experienced cruisers I know told me I'd be fine on my own, but ... to get a 2nd crew member for certain parts of the trip.

I'm not at all sure picking some some stranger (which is pretty much what it comes down to when looking for crew while underway) will work out. ANY boat is small, but I don't even have a cabin ... or a door, really Even the sea bunk is shared while underway.

So I find myself debating the '*bleep* it, go now and just see how it goes' versus 'be smart, wait a little, buy a bigger (29' > 36' ish) boat you'll want to live on later too and go with that one' issue. If nothing else, the somewhat bigger boat be home when I stop sailing and I won't have to share my sea bunk with some smelly stranger
Old 07-01-2016, 05:52   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

What Mark said!
Your Ohlson 29 (@ 29.8') is slightly larger than the 1980's C&C 29 (@ 28.5') that Maggie & I happily lived/cruised aboard the nearly 10 years (1990's), tho’ you carry a lot less fuel (8 gal) & water (7 gal) than ours did (20/32 gal). On the other hand, I carried a full complement of trade tools (that I expect you won’t), way beyond that required for self-sufficient cruising. We also hosted our daughter, son-in-law, & baby grandson on numerous occasions (that was crowded!). I’d expect fluids to be your greatest challenge on your current boat.
Don’t be put off (too long) earning a larger boat.
As to crew, Maggie was a competent watch stander, and semi-competent sailor. Having her stand watch, whilst I caught a couple of hours sleep, was a great boon. Of course, compatible & intimate company also has it's rewards.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:20   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lizzi..
When you say 'Upgrade' what do you mean..?
Realisticily if your boat is sound enough for coastal cruising its good enough for sensible passage making.. trans-atlantic included.. and thats speaking from experience.
Very few deliveries are prepared to the standard many here shout about.. usually they've just bought the boat and want it moved as cheaply as possible to where they want the work done..
I learnt long ago not to live within other folks limitations and fears.. as a result while not the brightest bulb in the sail/mechanic field I know short of the boat breaking up or dropping dead.. I will make port.
The only way you can progress is to take the first step.. after that anything can happen.
If you cannot embrace that wholeheartedly..
Give it a few years more.. and the bigger boat and the limitations of others.. 😉
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If you wait for someone else you will never go.
// retired at 48 and I am damn lucky I did
That's very true - but again, a partner (or lack thereof) isn't the issue - I've long since decided that's not likely to happen anyway, so the question is do I go on this boat or give it a couple of years and go with a 36' ish boat, which would make it a little more comfortable and slightly easier to take on a crew member.

Do you always single hand or take on crew for certain trips / legs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Your Ohlson 29 (@ 29.8') is slightly larger than the 1980's C&C 29 (@ 28.5') /// I’d expect fluids to be your greatest challenge on your current boat.
Don’t be put off (too long) earning a larger boat.
Sailboatdata and some other sites have made my floating home a little bigger then she really is for some reason. WINGA 29 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com is more like it (the Ohlson 29 later became the Winga 29 - exact same hull tho). But 28,8 or 28,2 - not much difference

Yup, as the boat is now, I am fine with water - for one person. And it would be nice if I didn't take much longer then 40 days Diesel I can max out to 3 x 24 hrs, which will just have to do.
Still haven't figured out how to bring enough water for 2 without too much of a headache.

I have to admit ... I can't imagine living aboard Lizzy with 2 adults, let alone more people. I am fine on my own and kinda love the simplicity of a smaller boat, which is why I still don't want anything over 36' or so. But in all honesty: I wouldn't mind a little more room.

My V-berth is storage, I sleep in the main cabin. On the bunk next to the table, so I don't fall out -- ask the cat why that might happen ...

Not a problem at all for one person, but with 2 people, it's too small for me to be honest. My kid (grown man now) just spent Xmas & NY's with me, and we had a great time, but boy oh boy could we use just a tat more room and privacy ... He kept sending me to the cockpit when he used the head or chanced clothes

An actual galley would be nice too, with a sink I can see (mine is below the cockpit thingy - sorry, don't know the English term for that). The stove is at knee-height, which kinda sucks for anything more than heating something up real quick.

I guess, if I'm to be really honest, I'd like a little more room regardless of where I am or want to go. But then I get nervous, thinking about my father who died before he finished his dream boat. Later is just not a guarantee ...
And even tho many people seem to think anything under 40' is suicide these days, the boat is definitely able to handle some serious sailing. Which is why I bought her: good sailor, keel stepped mast, rudder on skeg. Draft may be a bit much for the Caribbean I've heard, but I like it anyway
Old 07-01-2016, 06:43   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lizzi..
Realisticily if your boat is sound enough for coastal cruising its good enough for sensible passage making.. trans-atlantic included.. and thats speaking from experience.
Oh, I'm not worried about her not being sound enough to handle passage making. She is.
I have no idea why there's so little love for the Ohlson 29 - they're very well built little boats.

Her first owner sailed her between the Netherlands and Portugal, her second owner (who had her for over 30 yrs) only in the Netherlands (IJsselmeer) after a few trips to the UK & Norway in the earlier days.
So on my list is pretty much everything you need for save passage making, from renewing all rigging to a windvane etc. etc.

Bought her for a song, really, cos a little 29' boat with only the bare basics onboard (from the Flintstone age) isn't what people want these days. Especially not since she's not suitable for the smaller waters due to her (keel stepped) high mast and deep draft.
Can't take her anywhere in the Netherlands which is why we're in a marina with an open connection to the sea (near Rotterdam Seaport). And still the one bridge (Erasmus) between us and the open sea has to open for her
Old 07-01-2016, 07:01   #24

Lizzy,

I would highly recommend you get a 36 or so... it will make a world of difference... I am speaking from experience because I've had the same one for over 30 years and mostly single handing and / or with one other. I did one ocean race with total 6 and that was definitely too many on board... 2 on watch and 4 below.

My Dutch sloop has terrific headroom, tons of stowage space...a very well designed anchor locker and clean decks... and of course a huge cockpit which is where you live in the tropics. You'll need to rig a awning of some sort... mine is simple and takes 5 minutes to deploy or take down and keeps the boat 10°F cooler.

I never feel cramped... I have a lovely seaworthy U shaped galley with a 3 burner stove with oven and and ice box converted to an engine drive refer/freezer. I've had a couple of 55watt panels which can keep the batts topped up or even run the AP and instruments underway.

Draft is not a problem in the Caribbean...

Unless you find a boat prepped for cruising and offshore you'll probably be considering upgrading:

batts... w. small separate engine start and large house bank
charging system: high output alt with smart regulation and solar or wind
AP (below decks)
Ground tackle: electric windlass, chain, snubber and spare anchor
Power assist for self tailing winches; drill w/ winch bit (raising main, going aloft)
storm sails, lee cloths, awning, fans/windscoop
HF radio
AIS

etc.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lizzi..
Very few deliveries are prepared to the standard many here shout about.. usually they've just bought the boat and want it moved as cheaply as possible to where they want the work done..
I learnt long ago not to live within other folks limitations and fears.. as a result while not the brightest bulb in the sail/mechanic field I know short of the boat breaking up or dropping dead.. I will make port.
The only way you can progress is to take the first step.. after that anything can happen.
If you cannot embrace that wholeheartedly..
Give it a few years more.. and the bigger boat and the limitations of others.. 😉

Well said. I wish I knew how to sticky this...
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:28   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK, I haven't read the whole thing and take what I say with a grain of salt as I am new to this and inexperienced myself.
But Solo is exhausting, I mean bone weary tired, get stupid and make mistakes because you are so tired exhausting. It would be tough, I mean real tough even with two people, it takes someone very special I think to do it Solo.

I know you love your boat, but if I were you, I'd sell her and buy a boat in Fl., Fl boats are cheap and abundant, and Solo to the Bahamas from Fl is easy, real easy compared to what your contemplating now.
You can always complete a circumnavigation starting in Fl if that is your desire, you don't have to start in the Netherlands.
I believe taking baby steps in the Caribbean and learning to crawl, walk, run is easier over here than there.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:31   #27

FL to the Caribbean is a beat to windward.... not very pleasant.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:33   #28

Boat: Island Packet 420

I am sort of in the same situation as you are. Primarily a solo sailor, because I prefer that to lousy crew- which I have had. I am planning a trans-Atlantic passage this spring, but will most likely have crew for it- if everything works out as planned. By the way- I am also heading for Spain. My philosophy is that if I wait for the right Mr. Crew to come along, I might be too old to go sailing- so I just go. I have picked up crew- I took on a crew once in the Bahamas and was going to sail with him all the way home back to Maryland, but decided he had to be dumped in Fort Lauderdale. C'est la vie! One word of caution- as a female, you have to be VERY careful with who you pick up as crew in your journeys. Make sure your antennae are working overtime.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:53   #29

The average male lives to 78 years old. Meaning half die well before that age. So your odds of dying before reaching that age are 50% . Of course once your dead, you will not care what you did in life. Its truly a lottery. Feel lucky?
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:56   #30

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

Much about you can be gleaned from all that you have written. We all know that at the right time, in the right place, like "ships passing in the night", the right relationship can be "snagged". ANY relationship, from a platonic single episode, to a life-long intimate bond, can happen. Whether or not you are in the frame of mind to signal that ship, out of curiosity, out of need, out of desperation, or out of pure adventure, will determine whether or not that relationship is born.

I'm just sayin'... I think your frame of mind is in a very good state to recognize and snag an opportunity that can't be very far away on your "Course Steered".
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote