Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 12:23   #61

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39
Re: Go solo, go now ... or wait a few more years?

Ahoy Lizzie,

I have enjoyed reading this thread. I am retiring later this year, and at age 63 will begin my own cruising.

I want to comment on your quandary over boat size. Many posters have said just go with your present boat. I suggest that comfort, particularly when single-handing, is very important. A boat that has a sea kindly nature will keep you less fatigued, thus enhancing safety.

I don't know the nature of your present boat, but there is a reason most solo cruisers choose sea-kindly boats that are in the 34-38 foot range (+ or -). They are easily single handed, have comfortable motion in a seaway, and have relatively spacious and comfortable accommodations. Cutter or ketch rigs allow for a versatile sail plan, wind vanes enable powerless, 24 hour, self steering, water and fuel capacities are usually more than adequate, etc., etc.

Of course many voyages have been done in small, tender boats. I am just suggesting that the type of experience you will have will be based upon the boat choice.

I had a very seaworthy Pacific Seacraft Dana 24. I could not get comfortable aboard for longer periods because of my height ( mainly for sleeping ). I replaced it with a PSC 37 and it changed everything. Comfort and space have a direct bearing on fatigue, and therefore, safety and quality of life.

Just my two cents.

Good luck and fair winds,

Bill
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:54   #62

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Windward, just copy it with mouse click. Then paste it onto word document..done deal.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:59   #63

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Boatman, I love your "everyman logic and workman no BS style" works for me..
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 13:06   #64

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"In closing I will add that here on the Internet, it's easy for someone to spew all kinds of theory's having either never cruised and not even having a boat." CelestialSailor

Well said, C! I always find it interesting that many who pontificate with great authority on CF make no mention of a boat(s) in their avatar and list no information about themselves and sailing experience in their Profile Comments.
Why would anyone on CF listen to the advice of a "mystery man" or validate any of their criticisms? What would be the basis of their comments? And, there's even one of these authorities in this discussion that is quick to provide advice to all who will listen and tell other very accomplished sailors how little they know. Bet you can't guess our mystery man. . . Perhaps he might just come out of the closet. Nah, it's easier just to hide behind a name. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 07-01-2016, 13:13   #65

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Windvanes are dirt cheap.
Monitors are over $5K. You must be a high roller.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 13:15   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Go solo, go now ... or wait a few more years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Boatman, I love your "everyman logic and workman no BS style" works for me..
Cheers mate.. good to know I don't talk to myself..
I find folks have got so 'Health and Safety' obsessive they forget that we were sailing out there before almost all of these 'Aids' were available.. shipping was just as busy yet remarkably it was an extremely rare event for a cruising yacht to be run down.. apart from the dickheads in the Solent and elsewhere around the world who will not give way in restricted channels when racing..
Sure.. all the toys are nice to have.. and an Ohlson 29 is not a boat I would choose as a liveaboard but.. if in 'L's' shoes I'd likely say 'WTF'.. and go..
Its easier and cheaper to adapt to a boat than adapt a boat to you..
Oh.. and I bet half the stuff on the boat at the moment is disposable or storable with the son..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 13:36   #67

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Way I look at it is.. if so many billions can believe in a god..
I can believe I wont be lethaĺly hit..😃
Quote of the day! But not PC, Boatie...

Jim
Old 07-01-2016, 13:44   #68

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Shes already got the cat...

If you are comfy and happy with what you have.. go now.
By the time you reach La Coruna you will know your needs/limits better after a Biscay crossing solo..
If it is any help I remember one of our 'Veteran Singlehanders' being rather nervous when he went solo first time from Italy to the Caribe.. MarkJ.
Folk always overthink it.. but to be honest its not that bad if your happy with your own company.. the first three days are the worst then you kinda relax into a comfortable routine.
If your not comfortable solo by Spain head home and get the bigger boat..
The experience will whet the appitite and hone some skills
I like the above advice. In reading your OP, it seems clear that you are very picky about your company and I think the size of the boat does not matter that much.

While I have a much larger boat, I generally like the company, but when I don't, I really don't.

I wish I had a cat though.

Good luck.

Richard
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 14:06   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Go solo, go now ... or wait a few more years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Quote of the day! But not PC, Boatie...

Jim
Why.?
One would have to choose to take offense where none is meant.. was not aware there were ISIL members in CF..
I merely believe I am safe enough out there without the extra's and Murphy will do as Murphy will.. regardless..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 14:53   #70

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Lizzy Belle, none of us know what is right for you. Having read many of your posts on other threads I think you are a smart, capable person who expresses sound judgment about boats and people. You will know when it is right for you to go.

I do believe passages in small boats are a lot easier than living long term in small boats, even for a singlehander. It sound to me that you have already described your current boat as not meeting your needs for long term living.

None of us know how long we will live. That doesn't mean we need to hurry up and do "it" now. It means we should focus on enjoying the beauty of each day we have and joy of every experience. My advice is take the necessary time to get a boat you will be more comfortable living aboard. And continue to enjoy yourself everyday while you are building up to it. You are not putting off your cruising adventure you are already on it. ⛩

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:00   #71
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I am very much in favor of "Go now!" because life gets in the way. But I also (no offense meant to the solos amongst us) really do wonder about the folks who think they can safely cross oceans and make long passages, solo, without adequate or proper watch or rest from fatigue. A number of vessels are lost that way every year because "Gee, I guess I didn't hear the alarm".

You've got to flip your own coin on that. Finding good crew, good company, and doing so in any limited time frame, requires either very good luck or very good social skills and networking.

But going solo, trans-ocean, just seems to me to be tempting the sea gods in ways that I don't like to tempt them.

Just one man's opinion.

You never know, someplace like Womenship (sailing school for women only) might be able to find you someone with like thoughts, and less chance of testosterone questions.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:01   #72

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I had a great trip south in company withe other boats heading for the start of the Atlantic run, week sailed independently but agree where we where heading each day and met up in port. Never been lonely solo sailing but company is nice in port, you soon make friends, the down size of traveling is that you don't keep them long! Try it now, a bigger boat will just delay you and make it more expensive. Also leave in the spring and enjoy a leisurely trip south, there are great spots to explore, you are not worrying about deadlines and the weather in Sept/Oct in Portugal can be crap, its not good in an onshore gale
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:09   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I've had great luck finding good crew in the Crew Wanted section of CF. Some have become lifelong friends, and never any really bad experience.

Single handing can be a fun challenge, and I do do it, but it's exhausting over long distances. I would personally never cross an ocean like that, when it would be SO much more relaxing and fun with a few friends on board.

I can't imagine you'd have much trouble finding crew for a transat, which is a dream of so many sailors. I'd just put up a crew wanted ad, if I were you, and start interviewing candidates.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 16:43   #74

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Exhaustion is the reason I suggest LB buy a boat in her intended cruising grounds. Once there passages are shorter than hopping oceans.
Don't misunderstand me. I have nothing but awe and admiration for the solo lady sailors! But taking on really big challenges is not a pre-requisite. Of course, that big challenge has its draw too. Hmmm....LB, I have no other comments. I'll talk myself right out of my own ideas if I keep going!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 16:51   #75

Boat: Catalina 25 + trailer

The great British economist John Maynard Keynes once said "in the long run we are all dead". Different context, but same point.

Go now.
wegman is offline   Reply With Quote