Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2016, 15:01   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Gave my two week notice at work...

Hey cruisers

Well, earlier than expected I gave my notice at work yesterday. Too many frustrations all at once, need some r&r. No boat though and only about 38k (CAD) in the bank.

Anyone know of a good Albin Vega, Alberg 30 or similar type of boat for sale at a reasonable price? I'm contemplating having a look at one I saw in Mexico. Ten grand for a well kitted out boat. Only problem is I am a green sailor so talk about trial by water!

Tried to link up with a local guy that does weeklong sailing courses but he's closing up shop til may so that's out. Just as well, not really being one of many on a huge boat. I'm guessing the cheaper boats available in places like the Carolinas, Texas and the like aren't as cheap when you factor in the cost of shipping them to the Southwest coast of British Columbia? Too bad, lots of that type of boat there from what I have seen.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 15:11   #2
cruiser

Re: Gave my two week notice at work...

How do you plan to pay your ongoing bills? You need more money otherwise, your first repair will put you in the red and bring your cruising plans to an abrupt end.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 15:22   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Where do you want to live? Good boats at good prices can be found almost anywhere. If you are going to live aboard check the local marinas for restrictions. Give us a little more info to work with... and Ken's right, how are you going to pay the bills?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 17:31   #4

Boat: Jensen Marine Cal 27

Well, If it's what you want to do, good for you! It's a big step, and it sounds like you just took it. Congrats on sticking it to "the man". I wish I could right now!
P26OD228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 17:39   #5
cruiser

OP,

I might be a good idea for you to check out this new thread by Sailorboy:

Month 2 Expenses & Costs of Cruising - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 18:10   #6

Boat: Lancer 45... 45

In my honest opinion I would say purchase your boat in the north in your area or upper Great Lakes. There are plenty of folks looking to get rid of there boats dirt cheap to avoid winter storage. Also while I believe whole heartedly in sailing classes there is absolutely no comparison in gaining experience in your own boat. Personally I would skip the lessons spring for a truck to move your boat and set sail for adventure. Also congrats on ditching your job I'm not to far behind that path.
SetsunaSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 18:20   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

There was a CS 30 for sale in St Augustine for 10K. Seemed like a great deal. Nice modernish design.
Old 19-11-2016, 22:13   #8

Hah, sorry, not a very good post on my part; working right now, had to get back at it.

Well I'm a long-haul truck driver so I can likely just go back to work for the same company when I run low on money, that's the plan. If not the same company than another one will be happy to have me, not always a fun job but you can't beat that kind of freedom.

Thanks for the link to the cruising expenses thread; it was eye opening.

I've seen a number of small sturdy boats of the sort I mentioned (folkboat inspired designs) over the years ranging from 5-14'000 CAD the 14k ones looked much nicer and I'm hoping would have lasted longer. without needing repairs Really I just want to spend several months cruising around the coast of BC so I think I could do without a lot. Unless I had to replace an engine or mast or sails I think I would be okay.

Do you guys really think 38k is too little to buy a small boat and cruise it around for 51/2 months? I figured even if lots went wrong and I had to pay for big ticket stuff off the bat I might still get a few months out of it. Guess it depends.

Dare I ask how much it would cost to truck a boat out from Ontario Quebec to BC? I'd imagine it would be a fortune. Non-specialized loads shipped in van trailers would cost several thousand so I would imagine a boat would be considerably more. Probably not worthwhile.

I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if I had to spend the time off on land. Internet and gym access are nice to have. Probably will end up just checking Craigslist and the like daily. Last time I bought a boat I saw a Vega on Craigslist a month later...was a bit miffed. Serves me right for rushing I suppose

BTW I have no plans to live in a marina. I find them very noisy and bright which is exactly the sort of thing I want to be away from when off work. Not to mention the electrolysis and crud growing on the hull, no thanks! Haha. Not for me, at least. I'd be just on the hook while I'm off work and I know a good cheapish drydock facility that could keep the boat during the summer when I'm making money and getting free air conditioning
Old 19-11-2016, 23:01   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

What I would do..
Go down to San Carlos Mx. Grab a cheap hotel, like $200 week while you find a beater for 5k and have a great winter. Gift it away when your done.
ce
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 23:14   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Keto, I see nothing wrong with your plan, other than BC cruising in the winter sounds damn cold and wet to this tropically oriented guy!

But your budget will sink or swim depending on what life style you chose whilst "on vacation" from trucking. Don't let the bottom line of Sailorboy's expenses scare you too much. Look carefully at what he spent, and see where you could shave a few bucks. Like travel, entertainment, booze, restaurant dining and so on. If such things are not applicable to you, the dollars stay in your pocket. And boat expenses... big batteries to run lots of power hungry accessories don't seem to be needed in the sort of boat you propose, nor heavy duty auto pilots, so there go two of his big ticket items. A smaller, simpler boat just does not absorb as much money as his larger and more elaborate vessel. And you are unlikely to burn that much fuel, whether diesel or petrol... we VERY seldom spend that much in a month, and our boat is a bit larger and we do more miles that he has been so far. And your dislike of marina life (which I share) will also save money. Sometimes you need their services, but if you don't use them routinely, the savings are significant.

So, be not afraid. If you blow out a sail on a 27ish foot boat, there are several big used sail vendors who can provide useable sails at way less than even economy new sails. Diesel auxiliary engines are pretty bulletproof in general. As a truckie, you are used to engine maintenance I suppose, and keeping one that is running when you buy it from suffering early death isn't all that hard. It is a possibility, but not a likelihood IMO . This is an area where careful inspection before purchase is essential!

So, despite the cries from the cheap seats in CF, I think your plan is viable. Good luck in executing it!

Jim
Old 19-11-2016, 23:18   #11

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Might talk to kennyarmes, he had a nice boat in PDX for sale.
Old 20-11-2016, 00:14   #12

Boat: PDQ 36

I agree with Groundtackle, go to San Carlos, loads of cheap monohulls there, and living is cheap. Food is good and inexpensive, the beer is cold, good, and cheap!!
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 01:11   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I wont pretend to be in the big boys sailing arena. Life, cruising area and work commitments dictated a smaller cruising vessel for me in the UK.

I went for a 27 foot Westerly Centaur. Older vessel, beautifully maintained and kept and about $10K in the American language.

Money spent on it since has in the main been optional extras with basic maintenance included, less than $1500 and that would have been only $400 without the toys.

Here is where the boat has been (with us):
The red is the off shore (ish) part and the yellow is coastal from town to town and sightseeing.

So this boat based in Newport/Bristol has been to Ireland, the southern coast of the UK, Guernsey, Jersey, France and finally ending up in its new home in Eastbourne. As I now currently live in Spain, My nephew uses it... He went through the French Canals in Summer.

Get a well maintained one, look after it and should serve you well

Added: Do not think these waters are calm and placid. NO, they are not. When it gets nasty it is nasty. Smaller boats like the Centaur are plodders not go faster boats. They will get you there in and around 4 knots speed but in safety and in a fairly good sea motion. Reef early and enjoy the ride... Some smaller boats (sub 30ft) are faster but sacrifice some of the other qualities that made me have 3 Centaurs over the years... Im sure USA has equivalent, you just have to find them. CFers will suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wc2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	136519   Click image for larger version

Name:	boatwc.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	136520  

Click image for larger version

Name:	trip.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	136521  
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 03:56   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
OP,

I might be a good idea for you to check out this new thread by Sailorboy:

Month 2 Expenses & Costs of Cruising - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Don't worry about that link, he's way overspending. He's on a sailing vacation it appears

Eating out a lot, staying at marinas, going to the movies, replacing items too early, and is on a 40' plus "condo" which even puts the cost much higher than you would have on an Alberg 30 or some such.

Being on a sailing vacation is fine but you can do it with much less cash. It just depends on what you are looking for. A sailing adventure ala "Into the Wild" or a sailing vacation of site seeing, eating out, movies, tours, doing fun (expensive) repairs on your boat to pass the time, etc

Instead of doing the sailing vacation style cruising you could anchor in a nice place and hike, go kayaking (I have a kayak as a dinghy), fish, learn celestial navigation with a low priced kit, brush up on your math and history (bring the books) and workout when possible.........and search for fresh food.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 06:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
What I would do..
Go down to San Carlos Mx. Grab a cheap hotel, like $200 week while you find a beater for 5k and have a great winter. Gift it away when your done.
ce
Haha tempting,

only thing is, unlike most people (apparently) the climate of Mexico is not a selling point. I love the gfrequent heavy rains, modest daytime highs and fresh air one gets on "The Island" .

I also suspect nuestros gringos leaving our cheap boats littering Mexican anchorages is not appreciated? Could be wrong there. Maybe the locals are more into boats but damn, last time II tried to sell a boat in BC I thought I'd have to pay to have it gone, lol. Didn't want to be one of those guys that abandons a boat to rot.