Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2016, 07:12   #16

Boat: Albin Vega
Re: Gave my two week notice at work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Keto, I see nothing wrong with your plan, other than BC cruising in the winter sounds damn cold and wet to this tropically oriented guy!

But your budget will sink or swim depending on what life style you chose whilst "on vacation" from trucking. Don't let the bottom line of Sailorboy's expenses scare you too much. Look carefully at what he spent, and see where you could shave a few bucks. Like travel, entertainment, booze, restaurant dining and so on. If such things are not applicable to you, the dollars stay in your pocket. And boat expenses... big batteries to run lots of power hungry accessories don't seem to be needed in the sort of boat you propose, nor heavy duty auto pilots, so there go two of his big ticket items. A smaller, simpler boat just does not absorb as much money as his larger and more elaborate vessel. And you are unlikely to burn that much fuel, whether diesel or petrol... we VERY seldom spend that much in a month, and our boat is a bit larger and we do more miles that he has been so far. And your dislike of marina life (which I share) will also save money. Sometimes you need their services, but if you don't use them routinely, the savings are significant.

So, be not afraid. If you blow out a sail on a 27ish foot boat, there are several big used sail vendors who can provide useable sails at way less than even economy new sails. Diesel auxiliary engines are pretty bulletproof in general. As a truckie, you are used to engine maintenance I suppose, and keeping one that is running when you buy it from suffering early death isn't all that hard. It is a possibility, but not a likelihood IMO . This is an area where careful inspection before purchase is essential!

So, despite the cries from the cheap seats in CF, I think your plan is viable. Good luck in executing it!

Jim

Thanks for the encouragement

Yeah I love that nobody seems to like the BC winters, keeps anchorages quiet, mostly. Even the locals leave their boats tied to a dock on a sunny 16 degree (Celsius) Saturday. Fine by me, fewer people to crash into, haha.

I actually don't know much about diesel engines, we're not allowed to do anything more than diagnostics while on the road, warranty issues. Most of what I know comes from working on my personal vehicles over the years. Accessory diagnostics and repair are applicable but I need to figure out how to assess the condition of the engine itself, I suspect a few books will pass under my nose before I actually hand over cash for a boat

True, I'm a pretty simple bloke, all I spend money on normally is food and I'll be taking it easy on the boat so as to avoid stressing the standing rigging and engine, not much point getting an extra knot of speed if you dismast, I guess, lol.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 07:18   #17

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I wont pretend to be in the big boys sailing arena. Life, cruising area and work commitments dictated a smaller cruising vessel for me in the UK.

I went for a 27 foot Westerly Centaur. Older vessel, beautifully maintained and kept and about $10K in the American language.

Money spent on it since has in the main been optional extras with basic maintenance included, less than $1500 and that would have been only $400 without the toys.

Here is where the boat has been (with us):
The red is the off shore (ish) part and the yellow is coastal from town to town and sightseeing.

So this boat based in Newport/Bristol has been to Ireland, the southern coast of the UK, Guernsey, Jersey, France and finally ending up in its new home in Eastbourne. As I now currently live in Spain, My nephew uses it... He went through the French Canals in Summer.

Get a well maintained one, look after it and should serve you well

Added: Do not think these waters are calm and placid. NO, they are not. When it gets nasty it is nasty. Smaller boats like the Centaur are plodders not go faster boats. They will get you there in and around 4 knots speed but in safety and in a fairly good sea motion. Reef early and enjoy the ride... Some smaller boats (sub 30ft) are faster but sacrifice some of the other qualities that made me have 3 Centaurs over the years... Im sure USA has equivalent, you just have to find them. CFers will suggest.
Beautiful boat and encouraging words! I am envious of your travels. I went bicycle touring around France several years ago and looked wistfully out at the ocean along Normandy, what a way to see the place. Can you anchor out anywhere along the coast in Normandy?

Oh believe me, I am well aware where you have sailed is a proving ground, I bet you've had some scary moments!

Spain hey? Still regret missing out on seeing your beautiful country (and all the black haired beauties), hope things are going well for you there.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 07:45   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Not to mention the electrolysis and crud growing on the hull, no thanks!
If you think corrosion and hull fouling are not issues when not in a marina, you have lots to learn.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 08:19   #19

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

KetoNomad,
As has been previously stated, your plan is/sounds viable. Congrats on making the move! Myself, I gave my 6 month notice last month. I purchased a 27-footer in good condition in Virginia, after having it surveyed, for a bit over $5K USD. Am budgeting another $5K to outfit the boat for living aboard full time and swinging on the hook for the most of the time. As I live overseas and don't know prices in my own country anymore, I have been making list after list of things like expected monthly food costs, meal plans, how many marina visits in any given month, planned repairs before launching based on the survey, medical emergencies, insurance, and deciding how much to set aside for general maintenance and emergency repairs. Admittedly, much of this is armchair planning, but it gives me a place to start before I return to the States (also have to plan on hotels, dining out short term, taxi's or Uber while purchasing equipment, getting phone and internet service, etc.).

My monthly budget is $3K, with $1K of that staying in the bank for the unplanned things and annual maintenance. Good Luck!:
Old 20-11-2016, 08:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post

BTW I have no plans to live in a marina. I find them very noisy and bright which is exactly the sort of thing I want to be away from when off work. Not to mention the electrolysis and crud growing on the hull, no thanks! Haha. Not for me, at least. I'd be just on the hook while I'm off work and I know a good cheapish drydock facility that could keep the boat during the summer when I'm making money and getting free air conditioning
I just moved our 34 footer from SF to Vancouver Island. Everyone I know says if you're going to do what you just said, a windlass is one of those things that become VERY important. Factor that in, 'cuz anchoring in 25 feet is a LOT different than in 12-15 feet of water.

HEAT is also critical. Critical. As in very important. Boats from other climes usually don't have it. Buy local, save the cost of moving it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 08:36   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

So I am gathering you are not in BC now but you would like to be, right? I think that sounds like a great idea too, but I grew up around cool water. I love the idea of chugging around the BC coast with the diesel heater fired up and a pot of hot coffee on and the cool morning mist drifting through the forest around you in your own little cove... and that great smell of the damp PNW forest... hey! I need a vacation too! One thing, when you buy a boat you are buying an engine. In that neck of the woods you'll want a nice, fresh little diesel, a bit newer, fresh-water cooled, well maintained... because if you have to repair it or replace it, that will be a big chunk of change. Personally I'd look for a boat with a dodger too, hard one if you can find a boat with one in your price range... would be nice to close up the cockpit a bit so you can sit out with the cup of hot cocoa watching the rain (and I mean that, I too love that weather.) Personally I would not think of shipping a boat there. When you are ready, go to areas you like and walk the docks and check Craigslist etc. There are lots of good ol' boat candidates. I thought BigNick got a good one but one like that may be out of your price range. Older well-maintained classics like a Pearson Vanguard or some of the old Columbias, along with Albergs or Bristols and others could be good deals. You might check to see the "plastic classic" group and thread here for possibilities too
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 08:47   #22

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Have you been on a Vega? Not a lot of head room, unless you're 5'6" or less you'll be stooped over most of the time. Another option, and I hate bring this one up, Brent Swain boats. There are quite a few of them on the island, usually cheap, you can take them to ground on the bilge keels on the big tides they have there. Being steel the log hazards are lessened. Just don't get sucked into building one yourself. And look carefully for rust.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 08:51   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Well as someone who purchased a $11K boat it can be done for not too much money. Of course every boat needs work. I put over $5K into mine the first year and have probably $28K into it now (10 years on, not including slip costs or insurance), including bottom painting, new (uses sails, even an engine rebuild. But I do almost all my own work.

Some peoples cruise on 40 foot boats and spend more eating out each month then I do with everything, with food and fuel. The short answer it takes what you have.

Personally I think my older 34 foot boat is a perfect size for me. Guys seem to get by with a bit less space. But I find that stowage is important for stuff.

Lots of $10K boats about. Walk the docks and check out local marina bulletin boards, always a few boats for sail in any marina. You'll want to avoid boat brokers and look for boats for sale by owners.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 08:57   #24

Boat: Sceptre 41

Ketonomad

If you are a personable sort you can easily pick up a ride from cruising couples who would like someone to help them sail their boat. It will stretch your budget for months. Just throwing this out as food for thought. When in my 20's I sailed for 10 months on $4,000 US.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 09:06   #25

Quote: "Dare I ask how much it would cost to truck a boat out from Ontario Quebec to BC?"

Why would you even think of doing that when the BC coast is FULL of good, smallish boats for sale at reasonable prices?

Be aware that on CF the membership ranges from people who are very wealthy to people who are very poor. IMO you, like I, are in the latter category. $38K is chickenfeed if you get yourself confused about what group you belong to.

Accept with grace that you belong in the latter group. Then come here - to Vancouver - and boat-shop here. Long distance boat-shopping is, IMO, a mug's game. Once you are here, the whole coast will open up for you. Stu is on "The Island". Bet you dollars to peanuts that where he is, there are good boats for sale, though they will not likely be actively advertised. Powell River, Nanaimo, Gibsons, Ladysmith, et al, are all within easy reach of Vancouver. and there are good boats for sale in all of those places.

C&C 27s and Mirage 27s go for about five grand UNLESS you buy through a broker. You just have to keep your eyes open.

My approach - because I'm poor and because I'll get poorer thanks to my advanced age and the way the world is going - was to buy cheap and to re-engine. With a brand new BETA 20 in the boat she'll live to be a hundred, and engine repair (as opposed to maintenance) will never become a problem.

If you choose to go that route count on 5 - 10 grand for a serviceable boat and fifteen grand for the engine replacement. That'll still leave you a little money left over.

Also be aware that if you deal with a broker, the settlement price tend to be 50 - 60 percent of the listing price.

Be aware that permanent moorage is difficult to find on this coast. LIVE-ABOARD permanent moorage is nearly impossible to find. But you say you don't like marinas in any event so that may not be a problem for you.

Running time from suitable "hidey-holes" to government wharves and to marinas with small stores where you can provision is counted in a (very) few hours almost everywhere on this coast.

Should you have to go back "on the road" to top up your bank account there are many marinas that offer "concierge service" so someone will keep an eye on your boat while you are gone.

Moorage (if you can find it) is five grand a year in the Vancouver area, about half of that elsewhere. I think there are three vacancies in my Marina is West Vancouver. I could ask for you. If I'm right I should think you could negotiate something for the remainder of this season, ending 31 March. Marina would, of course, need payment even if you haven't yet a boat to put in the slip.

I also think that the adjacent yard has one or two smallish (27 or 30 footers) for sale at a reasonable price.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 09:10   #26

Boat: KP 46

Keto,

Might I suggest you take some advice from a fellow BC’er (Victoria), John Guzzwell. Find a few of his books and you will be enlightened. “Trekka around the world” is a great story.

Good luck on your adventure

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 10:05   #27

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

TrientePieds..awesome post!
Old 20-11-2016, 10:29   #28

Boat: Bayfield 29 Sailboat

You're making the move many of us only dream of! Good luck!
If you are on Vancouver Island, BC, where I also live, you may find lots of good deals locally. A friend of mine is a boat broker and says sales are way down. Two years ago I bought a Bayfield 29 Sailboat for $18,500 C in excellent shape except the exhaust raw water mixing elbow that was repaired at the owners expense. That same boat would probably sell for under 16k in the current market. This size is great for day trips with a four people but for over night trips, two, maybe three people.
windshadowthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 10:30   #29

Keto: (supplementary)

Went back to read you first post. I deduce that you are, in fact, a Canadian citizen.

If so: Don't forget, when you lay your budget, that on EVERYTHING including the original purchase of the boat you must pay 12% GST/HST. If you buy in the US, there may or may not be Customs Duty payable. Inquire in each instance. There will, in addition to Duty, be GST/HST payable at 12% ad valorem.

If you are NOT a Canadian Citizen, you may, provided you meet the requirements in regard to visas etc. come here with your boat as a visitor, for 182 days in any year, but must then depart again for the remainder of the year (183 or 184 days). On a Visitor's Visa you are NOT permitted to take employment. I sometimes sense that US citizens believe that moving from the US to Canada is as simple as moving from one US state to another. That is NOT the case! To obtain "Permanent Resident" status, equivalent in many respects to possessing a US "Green Card", US citizens must jump precisely the same hoops as citizens of any other nation.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 10:46   #30

Boat: Bayfield 29 Sailboat

I forgot to mention in my last post: Get Don Casey's book, "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" before you go any further. This book would also be helpful for power boats. If I had of read that book before purchasing a previous boat, I would have saved myself about 6k!
This book is excellent! You can do your own preliminary surveys on interested vessels and when you finally, after viewing several duds, find the one that passes your survey, hire a professional surveyor for the boat and another mechanical survey for the motor. My $300 mechanical survey saved me a $900 bill, netting me a total saving of $600. Canadian $. Bottom line, get the book!
windshadowthree is offline   Reply With Quote