Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 19:37   #1
JRO

Boat: Carver 444 CPMY 47'
Garmin "Vision" - Auto Guidance.

Before I pull my wallet out I'd like to hear what real boaters with real experience using its Auto Guidance think about it. The Auto Guidance is what is attractive to me. Anyone willing to share their personal opinion of their expenditure?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-08-2015, 10:06   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Garmin "Vision" - Auto Guidance.

I bought the "Vision" option for other reasons. I'm not a huge fan of having the chartplotter pick my course. But now that I have it, I've been known to use it from time to time. Here are some of my observations:

- Sometimes, based on my draft, it will run me over rocks that are just a few feet or less below my keel. Even if there's good water on either side. Imagine doing that in 2-3 foot seas. Ouch!
- Other times, for some unknown reason, it will lead me the long way around an area that's actually plenty safe for me.
- If the route is too complicated, it won't be able to calculate one at all. Which I suppose is a good feature. But when I'm going a relatively short distance through a place with a lot of reefs and islands, like Casco Bay, that's when I'd be most likely to let the computer take a stab at suggesting a general route, which I'd verify and apply common sense to before following.

When it does work, it's a nice feature. Fun to play with, but by no means a substitute for due diligence in navigating. I wouldn't pay extra just for that. The Vision option has other features which made it seem worth it for the whole package.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 13:31   #3
JRO

Garmin "Vision" - Auto Guidance.

Thanks Tom!

That sounds positive enough to me.
Nobody should trust a path without checking the details first. I want it to save time by providing the tightest "rough" path that I can then modify to my liking and judgement.

If not for the guidance... What benefits of "Vision" do you use that makes it worthy of your investment?

Old 06-08-2015, 12:57   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRO View Post
If not for the guidance... What benefits of "Vision" do you use that makes it worthy of your investment?
I was afraid you were going to ask that...

The option to display satellite imagery over the land portions of the chart is nice. The aerial photos of ports and marinas is nice. All the various simulated views from above and below the water can be helpful. And the auto-guidance is convenient.

Here's the full list of features.

None of these alone justifies the extra $$, but taken together, along with the irritation of having features on my chartplotter that I couldn't use, pushed me to give it a try. And now I'm glad I did.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 19:34   #5
JRO

Thanks for offering your real experience using this product and straight-talk. I've decided to purchase it based on your comments.

Old 22-08-2015, 15:53   #6

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

Capt. Tom pretty much hit it right. I use it but with serious over site. Basically the satellite overlay is nice. And other chart apps for depth for example are nice too particularly at anchor when you want to see what's going on under you. Mariner's eye I think is what it is called. Good program and well worth it to me.

kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 08:23   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

If you trust nothing but Garmins navionics or any one companies, especially in the Bahamas, theres a possibility you will wreck your boat. Also for some reason some of the new machines arent working with the slightly older G2 vision chips, so if you buy one make sure its new and has the upgrade available.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin