Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2015, 07:19   #1

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'
Fynspray model 67 water pump (hand operated)

I'm looking for review of a Fynspray model 67 hand operated fresh water pump (simple plunger type) to replace a V Whale Mark 6 which has leaked around the barrel since new. I'd like some feedback on this. I find it difficult to search this forum for previous posts.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 07:54   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Fynspray model 67 water pump (hand operated)

You need to be smarter than me because I cannot figure out how to get the bottom valve to work right. It's always sucking air or not at all.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 08:30   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Tom,
I have the Model 60 and it is an excellent pump. It needs occasional lubrication on the shaft with light oil(3 in 1). I don't believe there is a better pump available. Good luck.
Old 28-11-2015, 08:44   #4

Guy-

Maybe the unit is defective, or the plunger/washer is distorted and needs replacing. I see they have kits for same. Sounds like it's not priming - try sucking some water up the spout, or placing a finger over it to develop some suction to prime when first using - this works for my Whale (which leaks)
Old 28-11-2015, 08:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtriad View Post
Guy-

Maybe the unit is defective, or the plunger/washer is distorted and needs replacing. I see they have kits for same. Sounds like it's not priming - try sucking some water up the spout, or placing a finger over it to develop some suction to prime when first using - this works for my Whale (which leaks)
No it worked fine for the first year. I installed the repair kit but it did not help for long.
Old 28-11-2015, 09:05   #6

Any luck with customer service?
I had no luck with Whale - they put me off after an initial flurry and never return calls/emails.
Old 28-11-2015, 18:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtriad View Post
Any luck with customer service?
I had no luck with Whale - they put me off after an initial flurry and never return calls/emails.
I often lack the initiative to email a vendor. It's got to be important enough to be in one place for a month or so. It takes that long for parts to arrive and get through customs.
Then when we are not at the boat I forget but you have reminded me!
Old 29-11-2015, 07:42   #8

Boat: Norseman 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Dartanyon

I have 2 Model 60s and a Model 62 and find them all to be excellent pumps. Occasionally they do lose their prime but usually after sitting for some length of time, over a month. I simply block the nozzle with a finger to build pressure and they are good to go. Mine are vintage 1979, and I rebuilt them last in 2011 with the Fynspray kits.
Dartanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:22   #9

Boat: Island Packet 32

When I had problems with my Fynspray WS60 galley pump, before there were US reps, I called Whitestar products and got immediate answers to my problems. They sent me a repair kit and printed repair instructions. Their website has an email contact form so you might try that.
jpstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:32   #10

We have a fynspray 62 lever pump. The shaft on lever wore out this summer after 3 years use. A bit surprising on a $400 hand pump.
A new replacement leaked at factory sealed points. Returned to vender.
What now? Rebuild old pump perhaps. Or get pressure water.
cheers, Eric
sueanderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 22:59   #11

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa

Fynspray 67 galley hand pumps, one for freshwater and one for salt plus another in the head. I replaced the originals that had been on the boat a long time (in excess of 15 years). They are excellent pumps.
The only issue I have had is air leaking back to the pressure pump that made it spit and cough. This was easily fixed with an in line one way valve ($15). I think I paid $75 for each of the pumps.
The 62 model sounds a bit over the top price wise at $400 considering the problems, perhaps it is time to move down market.
Good luck in water works land.
Michael
Old 25-02-2016, 08:20   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insolita View Post
I have 2 Model 60s and a Model 62 and find them all to be excellent pumps. Occasionally they do lose their prime but usually after sitting for some length of time, over a month. I simply block the nozzle with a finger to build pressure and they are good to go. Mine are vintage 1979, and I rebuilt them last in 2011 with the Fynspray kits.
I have a Fynspray Model 60 or 67 (no identification on the pump) but it dates to 1987 or so when the boat was built in New Zealand. It does not pump, and I know that the plunger washer is old and hard and needs to be replaced. See picture attached. There is a hex nut at the bottom of the plunger tube in the unit on the left in the photo, but try as I might to unscrew it, it does not budge. Is that nut supposed to unscrew? If not, I would have to cut the old plunger washer off, and then somehow stretch/force the new washer on over the head of the nut. But that does not seem to make sense. The repair instructions from Fynspray are not clear on this point--they say only to replace the plunger washer, they don't say how to do it--what to unscrew or remove, and then how to reassemble. Any guidance is appreciated.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	119584  
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 01:28   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree
Re: Fynspray Update

I went to the White Star website (manufacturer of Fynspray products) and found the repair instructions for my unit, which appears to be a Fynspray W60, older model. I attach the document below. It says, "Older models have a sleeve that is riveted to the plunger. To remove, put a Phillips screwdriver (or something similar) through the hole and hold that while unscrewing the plunger valve with a spanner."

So that is what we did, and it took some extra effort to break the slight corrosion in the thread, but it came free cleanly. So I will order the replacement plunger washer through IMTRA.

Eric
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fynspray WS60 Repair Manual.pdf (520.7 KB, 258 views)
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model, water