Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2015, 02:49   #1
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

I am extremely concerned with effect of intensifying terrorism and influence on our freedom of movement as cruising sailors, I for one love the cruising sailors life because of the way we could hop countries around the globe's oceans.
__________________

__________________
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 02:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

I can foresee the increase in yacht searches by the different maritime authorities around the globe. I am sure that those who went through serious invasive search of their yacht are not looking forward to another one. Which liveaboard has receipts for every single item, part of equipment, or food stock on his/her yacht. We should realize that the increasing paranoia, the radicalizing of coastal and island communities will all discredit the simple cruising sailor who wants to explore, live in the marine environment of her/his choice. How can we save our cruising community from being made to look suspicious only because of our capacity to independently sail around and liveaboard.
__________________

__________________
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

Consider the fact that one has to evaluate the liveboard circumstances, location, religion of atea, political tensions, geography (to be able to nake urgent getaway) before answering question which is your country of origin. I used to ve honest about it now....
Of course it is very important to be informed who your country of origin has bombed, not why, to survive cruising in certain cruising areas where one used to be secure. Ie what nationality you shouldn't claim when visiting Comoris? It is Islamic ruled cou try, who knows if they are Suni or Shiites?
__________________
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:03   #4
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

For many peoples, those of middle eastern appearance, those of Islamic faith, and even those who look Islamic (Sikh), those with middle eastern sounding names, there has already been a significant impact following what happened in France. Travel is being restricted, visa's rejected, etc.

I would imagine that the same will happen to sailors that fit this same description. Could be already happening.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:50   #5
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
For many peoples, those of middle eastern appearance, those of Islamic faith, and even those who look Islamic (Sikh), those with middle eastern sounding names, there has already been a significant impact following what happened in France. Travel is being restricted, visa's rejected, etc.

I would imagine that the same will happen to sailors that fit this same description. Could be already happening.

Good point! What can we do? I try wherever I cruise and liveaboard to project positive non-discriminatory culture sensitive attitude without being patronising. I find many fishing communities in the Southern Indian ocean environment live in similar ways, cultural practices, religion, political outlook, hospitality... My fear is that one sailor with wrong attitude could spoil it for others who follow in his/her tracks. I read with interest the new views on political correctness in USA. Also in Europe as expressed by leading academics ethics like Prof Etienne Vermeersch few days ago on BBC with article on right to negate, he defends the right to be honest and talk, write about one owns views even jf racists or political incorrect! To do so in these pristine areas (i know illusion any pristine area still exists) would be highly disruptive disrespectfull and lead to visitibg cruisers being treated very badly.
__________________
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:51   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
 
Palarran's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Me - Michigan / Boat - Tenerife
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 2,641
Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

One of the problems with this forum is that it generates a lot of fear. People get nervous about anchoring, changing their oil, jibing, and storms. It's good to have an idea of what problems can be encountered, but we don't need to dwell on them. That's how I feel about this post.

Frankly, many countries borders needed to be watched closer. We shouldn't fear that but embrace it. It's a good thing to have security monitoring what is coming and going. I doubt that we are going to be subject to searches that will involve receipts for food and equipment. But if a countries border control want's to search my boat for weapons, Welcome Aboard. Same for drugs, BTW.
__________________
Not all who wander are lost

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:57   #7
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
Good point! What can we do? I try wherever I cruise and liveaboard to project positive non-discriminatory culture sensitive attitude without being patronising. I find many fishing communities in the Southern Indian ocean environment live in similar ways, cultural practices, religion, political outlook, hospitality... My fear is that one sailor with wrong attitude could spoil it for others who follow in his/her tracks. I read with interest the new views on political correctness in USA. Also in Europe as expressed by leading academics ethics like Prof Etienne Vermeersch few days ago on BBC with article on right to negate, he defends the right to be honest and talk, write about one owns views even jf racists or political incorrect! To do so in these pristine areas (i know illusion any pristine area still exists) would be highly disruptive disrespectfull and lead to visitibg cruisers being treated very badly.
Well reasoned.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
One of the problems with this forum is that it generates a lot of fear. People get nervous about anchoring, changing their oil, jibing, and storms. It's good to have an idea of what problems can be encountered, but we don't need to dwell on them. That's how I feel about this post.

Frankly, many countries borders needed to be watched closer. We shouldn't fear that but embrace it. It's a good thing to have security monitoring what is coming and going. I doubt that we are going to be subject to searches that will involve receipts for food and equipment. But if a countries border control want's to search my boat for weapons, Welcome Aboard. Same for drugs, BTW.

Also very good point thanks. I agree whole heartedly to not dwell on the negative, too much, BUT weare on CF to learn about all issues affecting cruisers. Indeed we should be very open and positive towards law enforcement considering their necessary actions as helping defend us cruisers against criminals as well.
__________________
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:00   #9
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
One of the problems with this forum is that it generates a lot of fear. People get nervous about anchoring, changing their oil, jibing, and storms. It's good to have an idea of what problems can be encountered, but we don't need to dwell on them. That's how I feel about this post.

Frankly, many countries borders needed to be watched closer. We shouldn't fear that but embrace it. It's a good thing to have security monitoring what is coming and going. I doubt that we are going to be subject to searches that will involve receipts for food and equipment. But if a countries border control want's to search my boat for weapons, Welcome Aboard. Same for drugs, BTW.
It may be Palarran, that you share a common white heritage like I do and perhaps an Anglo Saxon name. But, if you are getting search, not just every time you enter the country but every port you go into. Or your searched, not for guns or drugs, but for lititure that could indicate in the eyes of the 'authority' searching you, that your radicalised, then you may very well not be so supportive of it.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:34   #10
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
It may be Palarran, that you share a common white heritage like I do and perhaps an Anglo Saxon name. But, if you are getting search, not just every time you enter the country but every port you go into. Or your searched, not for guns or drugs, but for lititure that could indicate in the eyes of the 'authority' searching you, that your radicalised, then you may very well not be so supportive of it.
This is like a Go Now.. Go Later thread..
Same rules apply.. lets face it.. if one can find CF its not that much more complicated finding No Go area's.. just a key stroke away.
As for being profiled.. try having my surname and an association with Pakistan.. the US gives me Special Treatment every time I've been.. including threats of deportation on arrival...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:38   #11
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
As for being profiled.. try having my surname and an association with Pakistan.. the US gives me Special Treatment every time I've been.. including threats of deportation on arrival... [/SIZE][/FONT]
That's what I was referring too not good
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:42   #12
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
That's what I was referring too not good
And.. not since the Paris attacks.. this goes back to pre 9/11.. Go figure..!!

__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:03   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And.. not since the Paris attacks.. this goes back to pre 9/11.. Go figure..!!

it's the hat.......they think you are that subversive" Crocodile Dunedee"
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:10   #14
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
 
Palarran's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Me - Michigan / Boat - Tenerife
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 2,641
Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

My Gov is crazy to let the Boatman in!! Not because he's a threat, but imagine the cig and booze shortages that regions will experience
__________________
Not all who wander are lost

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:48   #15
Registered User
 
SimonV's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,316
Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

Just be careful what you write on the interweb especially FB .

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Simon

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
men

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freedom of Movement Around Our Globe, Aftermath of Paris Goosebumps Our Community 67 30-11-2015 10:07
Hurricane Ike Aftermath Pics cantxsailor The Sailor's Confessional 3 08-06-2009 08:39



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.