Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2015, 07:58   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: freedom of movement around our globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Why would that happen? It's quite probable that the common Visa policy will remain in place.
I doubt it very much.. yet to meet a Government that gives anything away for free.. lotta revenue in Visa's..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 18-11-2015, 08:12   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: freedom of movement around our globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
I am extremely concerned with effect of intensifying terrorism and influence on our freedom of movement as cruising sailors, I for one love the cruising sailors life because of the way we could hop countries around the globe's oceans.

Goosebumps you are probably correct. And as such I would suggest you buy a lot of guns, build a bomb shelter and get a hundred years of food and go hind.

In the meantime I and others will be risking our lives to see new ports of call and new lands and new cultures and other stuff. We will simply ignore the danger and proceed with a conscious effort to keep a look at where we are and what is around us.

So enjoy your life underground.
chuckr is offline   Reply
Old 18-11-2015, 08:34   #18

Boat: Grampian 26

Do what the Parisiennes are doing now and British did during the war: Stay calm and carry on. ISIS wants you to panic and be afraid.
astokel is offline   Reply
Old 18-11-2015, 08:41   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

By this Friday there will be more gun deaths in the U.S. Since Paris than those killed in Paris.

One hospital in Paris reported they typically have one gun shot victim per year.

"More guns would have prevented Paris" but those same politicans are to scared to admit a few more refugees.

You're more likely to get shot in a Florida Cracker Barrel Restaurant when a CC drops his gun that's you are by a terrorist.

Now we do need to kick some ass as far as ISIS goes but it has to be a strategy to somehow weaken and defeat without creating a mass propaganda tool for them to recruit more. Cutting off their internet access would be a good starting point.
Old 18-11-2015, 08:48   #20

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I don't see the threat from terrorists (I highly doubt I'm at any more risk this Monday vs last Monday for getting killed by a "terrorist") but rather from various .gov reactions to the terrorists. Increased fees, more jumping through hoops to clear in/out, etc.
Old 18-11-2015, 08:55   #21

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

So, we're drifting into a bomb shelter/anti-gun rant.

So much of these issues are about perception. One person drops a weapon, it goes off and hurts someone and folks want us all to believe everyone is going to be shot soon. But then, they tell us so few folks are killed by terrorists that we have little to worry about.

It is true, ISIS has little concrete effect on folks - it's just a few hundred killed after all. But perception is what they are counting on. Perception that it is a world so dangerous that there is nothing you can do about it. Perception that all Muslims are terrorists.

Keep calm and Cruise on.
Old 18-11-2015, 09:15   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
Re: Freedom of Movement Around Our Globe, Aftermath of Paris

I am more concerned with the authorities of different countries paranoia than personal threat! The marine authorities are already difficult enough to deal with, countries implement increasingly demanding yacht and crew entry regulations! I liveaboard for 7 years + along the East African coast without much problems but I can see the influence of both Western Countries who give speed boats to local marine authorities to patrol their coast, forgetting to give them gas, and the influence of radicalization of local communities which until now seem to resist this in most parts. Freedom to cruise, to circumnavigate, to visit whatever cruising zone we want to visit is my preoccupation. My personal security I know hiw to cope with.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply
Old 18-11-2015, 09:16   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
True there are many other serious factors affecting our cruising. East Africa is not yet much affected by terrorism like we get it in Europe. Yet there are very real fears for future terrorism because of the offshore gas/oil exploration that is going on in Tanzania, Mozambique. There are many Americans, Canadians, Europeans involved. The security in these countries is so poor, at their airports, offshore. Piracy is very much down though because of heightened security because of that gas/oil exploration. Another development is the continued political dispute in Mozambique, the continued Zanzibar independence frictions. There is very little yacht cruising or liveaboard in this area, most of it in marinas like Richard's Bay SA or DarEsSalaam yacht club in Tanzania. Marinas in Mozambique not worth mentioning.
I think you might be confusing Africa's National Sport's which are Rape,looting,corruption and murder with terrorism.............
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 18-11-2015, 09:23   #24

It's my belief that the international media actually misheard George W Bush, and what he actually said was "...war on tourism..."
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply
Old 18-11-2015, 09:31   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofGlenans View Post
It's my belief that the international media actually misheard George W Bush, and what he actually said was "...war on tourism..."
yeah and what bill really said to monica was "sack the cook.............!"
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 18-11-2015, 09:45   #26

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Atoll, u cracking me up this morning...u on a roll...smile
alansmith is offline   Reply
Old 18-11-2015, 09:59   #27

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

It is not a far reach of the imagination to say that ISIS has pretty much got every one's dander up. You can damage them by bombing them. But you can not defeat an "ideology" by bombing the shizzle out of them from 20k feet. Only the Kurds have beaten them at their own game. Stand your ground and be tough as nails.

As far as saying it was only so many people died...it was how they died that it is important. Literally it was an act of war. 150 or so souls were cold blooded murdered. Over 500 will carry scars on their bodies and hearts for the rest of their lives. Asymetric warfare is difficult to defend against and even more difficult to defeat. Look at the struggles between the IRA and England that went on for several generations. Look at the Israeli-Palestinian situation that has been going on since PLA. Now many of these young men will reenter into European cities with skill sets and ideology hell bent on tearing gaping holes in social fabrics. It is a world gone mad I tell you.
alansmith is offline   Reply
Old 18-11-2015, 10:42   #28

So,let's get this straight.The CIA trains Bin Laden to terrorise the Russians in Afganistan and then pretends to know nothing of him when he supposedly attacks the twin towers.
They then train a bunch of religious loonies in Libya to bring down Gadaffi , afterwards shipping them off to Syria to topple Assad where they become known as ISIL. Still being armed and funded by Washington.
Remind me again , who are the terrorists ?
bustermaw is offline   Reply
Old 18-11-2015, 11:10   #29

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I doubt it very much.. yet to meet a Government that gives anything away for free.. lotta revenue in Visa's..

Lot of revenue in tourism as well. Getting rid of the Schengen visa means telling millions of tourist not to come...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
K_V_B is offline   Reply
Old 18-11-2015, 11:13   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
So,let's get this straight.The CIA trains Bin Laden to terrorise the Russians in Afganistan and then pretends to know nothing of him when he supposedly attacks the twin towers.
They then train a bunch of religious loonies in Libya to bring down Gadaffi , afterwards shipping them off to Syria to topple Assad where they become known as ISIL. Still being armed and funded by Washington.
Remind me again , who are the terrorists ?

The US and Israeli Neocons, just as it's been for Decades.
70AMX is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
men